WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Section hike question

I hike in the Sipsey on a regular basis and wanting to do a section hike on the Pinhoti. Does this seem reasonable? I have hiked this distance before, but just not on this trail or these sections.

Day 1:

US 431 to Blue Mountain Shelter (15.2 mile point)

15.2 mile day

Day 2

Blue Mountain Shelter to springs south of Adams Gap (30.1
    mile point)

14.9 mile day

Day 3

Springs south of Adams’s Gap to Dry Creek (47.7 mile point)

17.6 mile day

Day 4

Dry Creek to seasonal water north of Bulls Gap (61.7 mile
    point)

14 mile day

Day 5

Seasonal water north of Bulls Gap to Trammel TH (73.5 mile
    point)

11.8 mile day

Sounds reasonable to me.
    Appalachian Trail ‘16-
    678/2198
    Pinhoti Trail ‘17-‘20
    321/321
    Benton MacKaye Trail ‘17-‘21
    286/286
    Bartram Trail ‘22
    116/116
    Foothills Trail ‘21
    78/78
    Palmetto Trail ‘22-
    22/380

Don't confuse hiking the Sipsey and its difficulty with that of the Pinhoti. I've done both a lot and the Pinhoti is much more difficult because of elevation changes and, in places, a much more difficult tread base, not to mention the availability of water on some sections. If 10 miles on the Sipsey is taxing then I'd not set that as a target on the Pinhoti. Think of the Pinhoti as a mini Appalachian Trail with shorter ups and downs.
    You'll be dodging the harder sections on the North end so that will help. As to water, keep a reserve because it is iffy in some sections. I have not been on the Pinhoti for a few years but I'd not bet you will find water near Adams gap, at least I never did unless I was doing the Loop Trails. Good luck and hike happy.
    If you faint in the face of adversity then your faith is indeed small--Solomon

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Dog View Post
    Don't confuse hiking the Sipsey and its difficulty with that of the Pinhoti. I've done both a lot and the Pinhoti is much more difficult because of elevation changes and, in places, a much more difficult tread base, not to mention the availability of water on some sections. If 10 miles on the Sipsey is taxing then I'd not set that as a target on the Pinhoti. Think of the Pinhoti as a mini Appalachian Trail with shorter ups and downs.
    You'll be dodging the harder sections on the North end so that will help. As to water, keep a reserve because it is iffy in some sections. I have not been on the Pinhoti for a few years but I'd not bet you will find water near Adams gap, at least I never did unless I was doing the Loop Trails. Good luck and hike happy.
    Thanks. I actually have hiked parts of the Pinhoti just not these sections. 10 miles in the Sipsey isn't taxing to me - that's an easy day hike
    Last edited by bad biscuit; 12-06-2018 at 22:16.

Sipsey doesn't have the elevation gain and loss of the pinhoti but it sure makes up for it with "obstacles" (blowdowns, muddy feeder creek crossings, etc.). I actually find the elevation gains/losses much easier than dealing with all the obstacles and bet you can average more miles per day on the pinhoti than in the sipsey. Just my 2 cents.

++ New Posts ++