WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Modern language

Default Modern language

I have followed TNhiker’s thread, Campfire Etiquette. Got me thinking of my last AT hike this past summer, and an issue, concern that’s been building with me for a while. “What’s with the constant use of foul language, by mostly young people on the trail”. Not to generalize too much, not to say it’s all Millenials, and certainly not being a prude as I feel I know the right time and place to let bad language fly, but I sit and listen to these guys and girls talk like they’ve got no idea. Like it’s normal to inject swearing into all discussion, all the time. I understand we all have different norms, times change, all that, but it just feels like supposedly intelligent people have dumbed down too much on the trail. It’s easy to get comfortable with friends on the AT, and from observation, no one seems to care who’s around, who’s listening, who might be offended by bad language.

in the end, I guess I’m mostly concerned at how little people try to speak proper English, making themselves sound less intelligent than I assume they are.

Feel free to agree with me, jump on me, swear at me! I don’t expect this “problem” to go away or get any better. I just thought I’d elaborate on a trend I have noticed.
    "How can something this hard be so much fun".

Or maybe some of the people dumbed up for the trail?
    Or. Like trees falling in the wilderness, does anyone hear what is wrong?
    Perhaps backpacking alone is the answer?
    Happy Thanksgiving! Have fun!
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by GolfHiker View Post
    “What’s with the constant use of foul language, by mostly young people on the trail”. Not to generalize too much, not to say it’s all Millenials, and certainly not being a prude as I feel I know the right time and place to let bad language fly, but I sit and listen to these guys and girls talk like they’ve got no idea. Like it’s normal to inject swearing into all discussion, all the time.
    Been to a movie lately? Everything is F this and F that. I suppose the writers think it helps the script, but for me, it's just distracting and unnecessary. TV, when you get away from the broadcast channels, is the same. I would like to get into a writers head and find out why they believe the foul language is necessary to advance the story. I've seen some recent movies that had very little foul language and thought the movies were great in spite of the lack of foul language (sarcasm).

It's hard to say whether people are following the movies and TV programs or they are following everyday people, but I just don't see what it does for a conversation other than make me question someones range of vocabulary.
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

When I'm backpacking the AT I try at all costs to avoid the shelter system and certainly when other people are around the shelters---otherwise if it's empty I'll take a break and maybe do a water run.

Conversations are vastly overrated unless I'm talking to Miss Nature who always has something cool to say.

On my last 21 day trip I didn't a single human for the first 15 days and then when I did see a couple backpackers I was stupid chatty cathy for 30 minutes which isn't honorable or needed.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

My mother taught us the way to swear effectively. She told us kids that throwing curse words into every sentence diminished their value, but dropping an f-bomb once a year had an impact - like a bomb.

I'm bothered by the coarsening of our culture, too, but I can't blame it on the young. Last summer I stopped at a fishing area, and there were two adults with two youngsters (10-ish years old) fishing from shore. The adults could have been parents, but looked more like grandparents, and they were dropping f-bombs all over. What do you think those kids have learned?

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

I also remember the first time I saw Buddy Hackett's stage routine, after seeing him on network TV for years. He was a lot funnier on Ed Sullivan when he couldn't use curse words as a crutch.

And speaking of movies, I just saw "Old Man With a Gun" (Robert Redford), and neither my wife nor I could remember a single swear the entire movie.

Images

My wife and I went to a stand-up comedy club recently. Sadly, many comedians seem to think if they inject the "F" word randomly into a few sentences it somehow turns a mediocre joke into something funny. Personally I find it insulting, not because my ears are tender, but because they think I'm supposed to snicker at a curse word like some middle school boy. And I agree with the unnecessary cursing in movies. I suppose they think it's more realistic, but movies, by nature are not realistic. It certainly makes the script writers look less intelligent.

Journal Entries

Simple sign of ignorance

Hear it just walking in walmart from certain people.

Images

Feel free to agree with me, jump on me, swear at me!
    Why would you encourage the use of foul language here???

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    Why would you encourage the use of foul language here???
    Step back from all human "exhalations"---our words---and I better understand why some spiritual devotees take long vows of silence.

What we say or even write is mostly ego-generated---swear words or not---and are attempts to sell "our brand"---promote ourselves.

Lighten up; actions speak louder than words. Thru hikers have made the trail the modern Woodstock; "sex, drugs, and rock and roll". Much more concerned about that than language!!!! The perceived entitlement that thru hikers exude when in trail towns, hostels, etc. is way more damaging to the trail community than four letter words. Who cares !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Panda View Post
    Lighten up; actions speak louder than words. Thru hikers have made the trail the modern Woodstock; "sex, drugs, and rock and roll". Much more concerned about that than language!!!! The perceived entitlement that thru hikers exude when in trail towns, hostels, etc. is way more damaging to the trail community than four letter words. Who cares !!!
    I agree with the sex, drugs and rock and roll sentiment. Sometimes it's one big party on the Trail.

Not sure about your last point. Is thurhiker entitlement real or perceived to be real in your opinion?

I perceive it to be extraordinarily Real---But it's old news and has been going on for a long time. I call it Holding Court---whereby a vaunted Thruhiker will now take your questions---of course asking none of his/her own from the entourage that has gathered around his picnic table at the shelter.

To repeat, avoiding trail shelters is my solution for avoiding all of the above.

And you're right, four letter words mean little when compared to your other examples.

I agree with most of what I’m seeing here. I fully understand that poor language skills is not simply an AT ( Thru hiker or not) problem. Society has allowed it to happen, younger generations adopt and accept it. No obvious way to change things...

i was was very lucky, doing a thru with people of all ages, and believe me, there was no appearance of “entitlement” in our group, although I can and did see examples. I take the AT experience for what it is, a great number of people, sharing, enjoying, suffering together to complete a stern test. You will meet all kinds along the way, just like in everyday life.

As for Zelph, “ agree with me, jump on me, swear at me”, that’s my version of humor..

“Who cares?” I guess I do or I would not have started this thread.
    "How can something this hard be so much fun".

Journal Entries

Language was pretty bad when i was in college 30 yrs ago.

The difference ...people didnt speak that way in public or around strangers.

You can thank tv and what passes for music these people listen to, for desensitizing them to speaking that way in public

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    I also remember the first time I saw Buddy Hackett's stage routine, after seeing him on network TV for years. He was a lot funnier on Ed Sullivan when he couldn't use curse words as a crutch.

And speaking of movies, I just saw "Old Man With a Gun" (Robert Redford), and neither my wife nor I could remember a single swear the entire movie.
    If you look at the posts on this subject so far you will see that most are from us old folks >> Buddy Hackett? anyone under 35 probably has never heard of him.
    I work part time in a pizza place and I can work a whole shift without understanding anything the younger generation is talking about ie. video games, tech, music, movies so I have learned that they have their own language ...so what is offensive to me is simply normal to them

By the way all of us old folks only have ourselves to blame because we started the decline of what stood for morality in the 60's and now we have to accept the consequences
    "the legs feed the wolf gentlemen, the legs feed the wolf" from the movie "Miracle"

Images

I have followed TNhiker’s thread, Campfire Etiquette.

not my f***ing thread.....

(sorry.....couldnt resist)

Profanity is the attempt of a feeble mind to express itself forcibly.

Nobody swore as much as my drill instructor. It may be a mitary thing. It's grown tremendously the last 20 years. More people exposed to it.

I agree with Deadeye's Mom. The rarity of dropping an F-bomb is what makes it effective.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by GolfHiker View Post
    I have followed TNhiker’s thread, Campfire Etiquette. in the end, I guess I’m mostly concerned at how little people try to speak proper English, making themselves sound less intelligent than I assume they are.
    Feel free to agree with me, jump on me, swear at me! I don’t expect this “problem” to go away or get any better. I just thought I’d elaborate on a trend I have noticed.
    You are 66 years old. You have choices, you understand when you are among men the language perhaps to put a stamp on it, can be salty. The presence of women can dampen the language you speak of. That was how we were brought up, much of that is gone now. Much like being a CB'er we all got into it and then out of it as truckers were f-bombing all the time. To think that culture is static would be inaccurate. How about taking the high road and say "Hey can we avoid all the f-bombs, I would really appreciate it"...and if that doesn't work feel free to set up a tent elsewhere. Not worth the angst.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

I have followed TNhiker’s thread, Campfire Etiquette.

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    not my f***ing thread.....

(sorry.....couldnt resist)

lmFAo...

u.w.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++