WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default REI Camp Dome 2 Tent.............Weight

All,

Planning on section hiking the AT using my old reliable REI Camp Dome 2. It weighs close to 4 lbs with poles. I would love to get the ZPacks Duplex, but at over $600 with shipping - is it really worth it?? Just looking for some feedback.

Thanks!!

The change from nearer five pounds to nearer two pounds is worth it.

Took me two-three section hikes to finally move from a half dome and Baltero to a Cooper spur and Exos but it was worth it.

You can always try the Lanshan tent for around $100 instead for a lighter tent.

Just pulled the trigger on the Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL2 Tent from Campsaver.com Total with military discount and Black Friday Sale - only $250 - I think that is a great deal!!

Quote Originally Posted by jrabbott View Post
    Just pulled the trigger on the Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL2 Tent from Campsaver.com Total with military discount and Black Friday Sale - only $250 - I think that is a great deal!!
    If you're .mil/veteran , you need to get an "expertvoice" account. I'd love to tell you what I paid for a BA Tiger Wall this summer, but they forbid it.

Quote Originally Posted by SWODaddy View Post
    If you're .mil/veteran , you need to get an "expertvoice" account. I'd love to tell you what I paid for a BA Tiger Wall this summer, but they forbid it.
    Also check out outdoor prolink.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Garin View Post
    Also check out outdoor prolink.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    I think you have to be active for that one. Doesn't look like they do anything with veterans.

All,

Planning on section hiking the AT using my old reliable REI Camp Dome 2. It weighs close to 4 lbs with poles. I would love to get the ZPacks Duplex, but at over $600 with shipping - is it really worth it?? Just looking for some feedback.

Thanks!!
    This is a matter of circumstance. Depends on how often you think you'll use it and how much extra cash you have to spend. The other important factor is determining if $600 can be better spent on other gear, eg: $400 might knock a similar weight off your sleep system, etc. Or looking at something like the copper spur would be a good option
    Last, if you don't go terribly far and you're comfortable with your pack... just getting to walking and banking that $ is an option you can't go wrong with!

All,

Thanks!!
    It is worth it if you're on a quest to lighten every system (sleep, shelter, cook, clothing, misc) in your pack (and, ultimately, the pack itself), but it won't matter hugely if you're carrying 35 lbs to reduce it to 33 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    It is worth it if you're on a quest to lighten every system (sleep, shelter, cook, clothing, misc) in your pack (and, ultimately, the pack itself), but it won't matter hugely if you're carrying 35 lbs to reduce it to 33 lbs.
    I am trying to get my Big 3 down with quality products as I have have my current setup for over 10+ years. I am very frugal and like to keep my expenses down. I have two children in college and its time for me to chase my dream of a thru of the AT! Thanks for your reponse!

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

The Zpacks is a nice tent, but there are lots of less expensive options, like a TarpTent Rainbow (single or double) that will be half the weight of the REI without breaking the bank.

Garlic
    Images

Another vote for Tarptent for overall economy and function.

++ New Posts ++