WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Minced Meat No Refrigeration Required

I had the thought it would be good for a few days on the trail.
    Anyone ever put it on their list of pack items?
    Lard can be used as a topping for it. Lots of good calories :-)

Mincemeat is a mixture of chopped dried fruit, distilled spirits and spices, and sometimes beef suet, beef, or venison. Originally, mincemeat always contained meat. Many modern recipes contain beef suet, though vegetable shortening is sometimes used in its place.

Images

I remember reading about that in some of my old camping and woodcraft books. They also mention "that holiday fruitcake that's too rich for normal consumption"! (Bradford Angiers, I think.) A bit of each would probably make a filling dinner, if a little oddly flavored.

Let me see if I have this right:
    You want me to ruin perfectly good dried fruit by mixing it with lard?
    You want me to substitute lard for perfectly good nut butters or Nutella?
    I already have a hard time gagging down tuna, chicken and Knorr Sides.
    LOL!
    I would prefer Vienna Sausage and mustard. But I actually have lighter and more palatable (to me) edible supplies.
    I too have several books in my library that mention pemmican. In 50+ years I have not been hungry enough to try eating pemmican.
    Y’all have fun! Thanks for the chuckle.
    Wayne

Mincemeat?
    The commercially available brands up here in Canada, the best of which come from England, are very tasty — but not calorie-dense. There’s not much lard in it.
    My aunt used to make her mincemeat with stewed beef. Tasted great, once I got over the stringiness … But still not calorie-dense.
    I’d never carry it on the trail. Why carry unnecessary water?
    I’d simply take my dried fruit and stew it up in some water, adding a good dose of cinnamon, nutmeg, etc, to make my on-the-spot ersatz mincemeat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

The lard, the lard (bacon grease don't forget the calorie dense lard

Images

Looks like something I need to try......

I believe Colin Fletcher talked about using mincemeat on shortbread cookies. Maybe it wasn’t Fletcher... but on a cool, post Thanksgiving hike, some friends and I tried it, and it is good. I don’t know if they make it anymore, but there also used to be a version of mincemeat, I think by Borden?, that was not liquid. It was compressed and sold in a little box. I bought one, but never did use the thing.
    Last edited by Pringles; 11-27-2018 at 09:13.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Being a vegetarian, THIS is the backpacking Pemmican I was raised on---

I think of this stuff as somewhat edible and somewhat flavored sawdust. And yeah, sometimes sawdust works for food. Sometimes I even like it a little.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    I think of this stuff as somewhat edible and somewhat flavored sawdust. And yeah, sometimes sawdust works for food. Sometimes I even like it a little.
    It's been around since I started backpacking and used to be part of our standard load back in the day---before the advent of RX bars and Luna bars and KIND bars and Larabars and Pro Bars and maybe even Clif bars. It's basically dried milk mixed with other stuff---and fairly high in protein with 16 grams per bar.

Images

I got my wife these last year, 6 boxes of Smuckers https://onlinestore.smucker.com/disp...=899&cat_id=81

She wants them again this year for Christmas.

amincemeat.JPG

Take a look at their peanut butter selections while you are at their site.
    Last edited by zelph; 11-26-2018 at 17:05.

There's a big beautiful world of charcuterie out there.

Forget mincemeat, make some pate, confit, or rillete. Not exactly suitable for a through hike, but very applicable to section hikes when daytime temps stay below 70. Stick to dry salami, bresola, procuitto, and jerky in the warmer hikes.

A bit of work, but well worth it.

I'm a proponent of meat-based hiking. Jet fuel it is compared to plant carbs, at least in my engine. Nobody has yet succeeded in digesting cellulose, and there's little nutrition going on. Eating sugar will nail you in the end, with metabolic syndrome.

We favor the Epic bison-bacon-cranberry bars, along with hard boiled eggs, cooked bacon slices, cheese, and homemade jerky (no sugar). The best part is that eating this way we do not have hiker hunger (clearly a carb-based disease).

Images

Quote Originally Posted by LittleTim View Post
    There's a big beautiful world of charcuterie out there.

Forget mincemeat, make some pate, confit, or rillete. Not exactly suitable for a through hike, but very applicable to section hikes when daytime temps stay below 70. Stick to dry salami, bresola, procuitto, and jerky in the warmer hikes.

A bit of work, but well worth it.
    Yes!!!! I like variety dblthumb2.gif

Images

Quote Originally Posted by RockDoc View Post
    I'm a proponent of meat-based hiking. Jet fuel it is compared to plant carbs, at least in my engine. Nobody has yet succeeded in digesting cellulose, and there's little nutrition going on. Eating sugar will nail you in the end, with metabolic syndrome.

We favor the Epic bison-bacon-cranberry bars, along with hard boiled eggs, cooked bacon slices, cheese, and homemade jerky (no sugar). The best part is that eating this way we do not have hiker hunger (clearly a carb-based disease).
    That made me drool, I like variety dblthumb2.gif

Quote Originally Posted by RockDoc View Post
    I'm a proponent of meat-based hiking............ The best part is that eating this way we do not have hiker hunger (clearly a carb-based disease).
    What is your longest hike?

lol "meat-based hiking" my new favorite term.

++ New Posts ++