WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Sleeping pads and lower back discomfort

I recently got the Therma Rest Neo Air X-Lite and have found that as a back sleeper, it doesn't really work for me. I have tried all levels of inflation but I still wind up with my lower back arched and don't sleep very well and am pretty sore the next day. I would like to know if anyone else has had this problem. Since the Therma Rest has horizontal baffles, I'm wondering if vertical baffles would make a difference or if the individual cell type mattress like the Sea to Summit Comfort Plus would solve the problem. I will be trying different makes soon but just wanted to know if anyone else has had this experience and what, if anything, they were able to do about it. Thanks.

"Living on a Sleeping Pad" is something that requires a good amount of time to get used to and so in your case I'd be trying out different inflatables as you mention and REALLY get used to whichever you choose. Meaning: Spend every night at home sleeping with one on the floor or out in the backyard or out on the deck etc.

I would look for an inflatable pad in the 2 inch thick range---minimum. My current favorite is this in size Large---

https://www.thermarest.com/mattresses/trail-pro

I sleep mostly on my sides but also spend long amounts of time on my back---infrequently on my stomach.

Maybe try something under your knees, like a rolled up clothes bag. It will flatten out your back some.

I have the same mattress. I propped the lower section of it on my empty backpack at night, to keep my feet elevated. Maybe give that a try? I hear its good general practice to elevate your feet at night anyway.

Images

I got the thickest air mattress I could find and then can keep it fairly soft without bottoming out. The Paria XL is 4" thick, great for the back.

https://www.pariaoutdoorproducts.com...d-sleeping-pad

A couple thoughts:
    1) As a back sleeper, a thick pad is not typically necessary as your weight is well distributed over your body.
    2) As noted above by Analog_Kidd, placing something under your knees may be all you need.
    3) As an owner of both a NeoAir X-Lite and a Sea-to-Summit pad, I find my S2S pad more comfortable as far as overall feel, but, being thinner, it doesn't work as well for side sleeping, and it does weight a bit more with slightly less insulation.

I recommend going to your local outfitter and trying out a dozen different mattresses to see which ones feel best on your back, at least initially.

Good luck.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Horizontal baffles for me don't work. Tried the Xlite and hated it. Went to the Insulated Big Agnes AXL and sleep very well but it's a bit of a cold pad below temps of 45*. Sea To Summit also makes a very comforatble pad with what they call air springs.

Thanks for the responses. I will try the options mentioned. I've been spending lots of time sleeping on this thing on a hard floor, trying to figure out the right adjustment. With the pad mostly deflated I think it's the optimum for me, but still, there is that lower back arching and compression and after a while, it gets in the way of sleeping. Fully inflated, it's like a torture rack.

It may not be just the pad but how you use it combined with other gear such as previously said raising your knees or feet slightly.

BUT, AGAIN it's not just about gear! I find if I ignore my core strength especially abs it leads to lower back pain. Just 5-10 lbs wt gain which tends to load on my stomach plays a role in lower spinal health for me. I pay additional attention to stretching out my back(safely cracking it, Yoga cat poses, etc) and calf muscles(especially ham strings) which also affect lower spine health. I've made it part of my on trail routine to address my back this way. It's probably the number one thing I do at stops when I have my pack removed. Stretch and crack. Before I ever hit a tennis ball I do the same thing on court. One consequence is less or no pain and lesser or no need for pain reliever meds(Alleve, Ibuprofen etc). Alignment and posture are not just an on trail concern either which is why I go to a chiropractor 2x a wk off trail. It certainly helps.

Additionally, I pay close attention to my posture, walking mechanics, footwear choices, orthotic support, and musculoskeletal alignment. The load I carry, how it's carried, and what things I do when I have a loaded pack on also play a role in lower back comfort.

FWIW, I'm not on board with managing lower back pain through addressing symptoms. I prefer avoiding the causes of lower back pain altogether.

Roll up a towel or piece of clothing and place it under the small of your back for support.

Journal Entries

No problems here
    Ive spent around 26 hrs straight laying on mine in stormy conditions. Slept 90% of time too. I found it quite comfy on back .

Try Yoga. See if fixing your back helps you sleep better

No one chiming in to suggest a hammock? How odd.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

There's nothing wrong with my back. I've never had back problems. I'm in good physical condition and am very active. I never had any soreness in my lower back until I started experimenting with this air mattress. I tried elevating my legs and there is a definite improvement so the idea that my lower back is being forced into an arched position seems to be correct. Hammock? Yes. Looking into it. Never slept in one before. I'm curious to see what it's like.

There's nothing wrong with my back. I've never had back problems. I'm in good physical condition and am very active. I never had any soreness in my lower back until I started experimenting with this air mattress. I tried elevating my legs and there is a definite improvement so the idea that my lower back is being forced into an arched position seems to be correct. Hammock? Yes. Looking into it. Never slept in one before. I'm curious to see what it's like.

I'm in good physical condition and very active, too. And there was nothing wrong with my back, either...until there was. I wouldn't ignore the warning signs of lower back problems. The advice about working on core exercises now could help you avoid a lifetime of lower back pain. The general consensus I have received from physical therapists and chiropractors is that we abuse our backs for years with minimal consequences, and then one day that abuse catches up to us. Luckily, I finally found a good PT, but that was a three-year process. The advice about propping up your feet would probably help, too...but you may regret dismissing the advice about core strengthening.

Quote Originally Posted by keithd View Post
    ...but you may regret dismissing the advice about core strengthening.
    Yeah, I've been regretting this pretty much the beginning of every season since 1985.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Not dismissing advice about core strengthening. I do that religiously. Have been doing so for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Gendry View Post
    There's nothing wrong with my back. I've never had back problems. I'm in good physical condition and am very active. I never had any soreness in my lower back until I started experimenting with this air mattress. I tried elevating my legs and there is a definite improvement so the idea that my lower back is being forced into an arched position seems to be correct. ...

This was me Gendry. I didn't have problems until I started hiking on uneven terrain 25 MPD with 25 lbs on my back. I found my mechanics were slightly off with one leg slightly longer than the other. As a collegiate hard court and lifetime tennis and basketball player I had no issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Gendry View Post
    Not dismissing advice about core strengthening. I do that religiously. Have been doing so for years.
    Great. I hope it's the correct muscles for the lower back and you aren't aggravating a problem with bad posture.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++