WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    What are you anticipating starting with for your bottom half? FWIW, if I was starting on Mar 19 I'd have pants or convertibles and UL rain pants. Under that lower half scenario and even though I too push the temp of my sleep system with wearing bottoms I don't go very heavy on the bottoms. I have Pat Capilene 1 and 2 long bottoms but perhaps the less expensive versions I have work just as well(Hot Chillys, EMS)

Unless you want to start a jackets collection like some of us consider a broader spectrum of environments of usage than just the AT. It helps justifying the cost. That includes being worn when not hiking at home, around town, going to work, etc.

I will not get into a synthetic verse down debate but if you might be using a jacket in potentially wetter conditions(Pacific NW, AT spring starting NOBOs, etc) synthetic has made strides in closing the gap in performance virtues compared to down. In LD serial hiking meetings one piece I see so often is a low bulk light to UL synthetic jacket. It brings a lot of versatility to the table.

Understand I come from an UL philosophy apparel approach. I want diversity, low bulk, usage of all the torso pieces as often as possible and prefer 4 layering torso than 3 layer when its cold and mixed(sloppy) conditions. I'm also a consistent moderately paced mover without long stops or many stops. My day is spent moving so I'm consistently generating warmth. When stopping for the night I'm typically in my bag/quilt in 20 mins or less. Multi use non redundancy in the kit is embraced. This plays into apparel needs. This may not be your approach. So, I'm only offering these ideas for you to be exposed to them. I'm not trying to sell you on what I do or the gear I choose. Don't take from anything I said that somehow you're doing it "wrong."

However, I do surmise you'd receive greater potential usage if you went with a lighter wt non bulky jacket in a 4 layer torso approach without having to embrace hardcore UL philosophy. What Neo LD backpackers eventually realize is that excess unnecessary wt carried can have an impact.
    I've been debating whether to get convertible pants or just stick with a pair of running shorts that I already have. I would like to just take the shorts and rain pants if I can get away with it just to shave a little weight and money. However, I'm still undecided on this front as well.

I've been down the down vs synthetic road a few hundred times on my jacket search, I often swing back and forth, but I always lean towards the down a little bit more. The Rab X Xenon was looking good for a while, and I almost pulled the trigger, but I backed down once I started looking at other down options.

I will take your advice into consideration as I continue my search. As for now, I think I'm still going to take some more time, maybe step back from the gear sites, and come back with fresh eyes. I feel I might be sitting to close to the problem to see the answers clearly haha. Honestly, I didn't get the whole shaving a few ounces off gear, and here I am contemplating 2 0z.

It's my guesstimate most AT NOBOers starting 2nd-3rd wk of March wouldn't fare well with just running shorts and rain pants even if they had thermal bottoms. You'll get some teen's/low teens? and very likely sleet and snow switching back and forth to cold rain. Most will do short days or head into town under snowy, wet, cold and windy days. However, even though it's less likely to see it done there are those that would hike in cold dry AT conditions wearing thermal long bottoms under running shorts.

Ahh, just food for thought. No one can or has to know all the answers. You'll figure things out on a personal level as you advance/evolve. Clarity tends to become more accessible once on trail doing your thing.

You can always try hiking a few days this Winter to see what works for you in the cold, wet snow. Spend a couple nights outside.

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    You can always try hiking a few days this Winter to see what works for you in the cold, wet snow. Spend a couple nights outside.
    I'm in California, our winter is laughable. I can pretty much always hike in shorts down here haha

Quote Originally Posted by MattSin97 View Post
    I'm in California, our winter is laughable. I can pretty much always hike in shorts down here haha
    Yeah...you are going to be in a rude awakening when you hit the Southern mountains in March. Sorry, shorts and rain pants aren't going to cut it.

I just purchased the RAB jacket 2 weeks ago after considerable research. The fit is excellent. I'm 5'7, 180lbs, 21" torso if that helps - I ordered a large. The redesigned side panels and the hood are excellent. It is on the heavier side of the spectrum, but I wanted something with the hydrophobic down as most of my hiking is in the Mid-Atlantic. I also think the shell material is a little more durable and wanted 3 pockets

MyTrailCo is having an amazing sale on their down jackets, and that was my next option if the RAB didn't fit.

If you have any other questions or want pictures, lemme know. I'm happy with it. Got it for under $200 on a flash sale.

You can find cold weather. Even the desert has freezing temperatures more often than you might think. Idyllwild, Big Bear, National Parks along the PCT, TRT, etc. Lots of places.
    48-72 hours of wet, wind, 35 F, or worse weather on the AT is grim at best.
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Pastor Bryon View Post
    I just purchased the RAB jacket 2 weeks ago after considerable research. The fit is excellent. I'm 5'7, 180lbs, 21" torso if that helps - I ordered a large. The redesigned side panels and the hood are excellent. It is on the heavier side of the spectrum, but I wanted something with the hydrophobic down as most of my hiking is in the Mid-Atlantic. I also think the shell material is a little more durable and wanted 3 pockets

MyTrailCo is having an amazing sale on their down jackets, and that was my next option if the RAB didn't fit.

If you have any other questions or want pictures, lemme know. I'm happy with it. Got it for under $200 on a flash sale.
    Wow, I would have grabbed the Rab if I saw it for that low. I haven't been able to see it for less than around 270 lately. I've looked at MyTrailCo because their prices are very good for What they offer. I heard that they are a kind of resurrection of GoLite which everyone used to really like, but I haven't seen many review of their stuff yet.

Of your original three the overall best for what's you've shared is the RAB Microlight. It's a nice jacket IMHO but personally only demoed the hoodless version on a two day hike. Again, I like my 08-09 RAB Microlight 800-820 FP down vest. It's toasty for a vest which I wear on early and late on shoulder seasons, and with proper layering, under light winter weather.

But if do re mi is a prioritizing issue the REI Magma 850 Down compares favorably. https://www.rei.com/product/137433/r...wn-hoodie-mens You get what you want and save $130 right now using your $100 gift card paying less than $50 for the jacket.

Want less expensive down with a DWR try MyTrail 800 Down UL and Uniqlo.
    https://mytrailco.com/products/down-...nt=44895197635
    https://www.uniqlo.com/us/en/ultra-l...own-collection

Also at REI I recently saw the Patagonia Nano Puff Synthetic jacket for $150-200. I'd consider this a strong contender if you can get it for a buck fifty. Applying your $100 gift card again you could nail another very decent synthetic for $50.

BTW, one other ancillary benefit is these all are 1.5 or more ozs lighter. They all could work for your AT NOBO.

Wow, I would have grabbed the Rab if I saw it for that low. I haven't been able to see it for less than around 270 lately. I've looked at MyTrailCo because their prices are very good for What they offer. I heard that they are a kind of resurrection of GoLite which everyone used to really like, but I haven't seen many review of their stuff yet.
    CampSaver has some Rab Microlight's on sale for $144-174, and another 20% off with coupon OUTWNTY. If you said what size you wear, I missed it. You have to look at a couple of different listings on their page depending on which size you wear.

This, too.

https://backpackinglight.com/forums/...black-men-med/

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    CampSaver has some Rab Microlight's on sale for $144-174, and another 20% off with coupon OUTWNTY. If you said what size you wear, I missed it. You have to look at a couple of different listings on their page depending on which size you wear.
    I haven't been able to find my size (Large) under around 270. If it is less than that it is usually from the U.K. I'm not 100% sure I need a large or medium though, so exchanges would get tricky coming from the U.K. I'm 5'8 and 170 lbs.

Very true, I'll keep an eye out for bad weather and see how the gear runs.

Campsaver has a medium:
    https://www.campsaver.com/rab-microl...kt-jacket.html

With the coupon, you're only out $115. Worst case if it's too small is paying a few dollars of return shipping to put it back on their shelf.

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    Campsaver has a medium:
    https://www.campsaver.com/rab-microl...kt-jacket.html

With the coupon, you're only out $115. Worst case if it's too small is paying a few dollars of return shipping to put it back on their shelf.
    Whoa, I was just on there and couldn't find any. Shows how good I am at searching. Thank you!

Camp saver is free return shipping if the tags are still on it. That’s what they recently told me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's free if you accept store credit. Otherwise they wanted a small amount for a jacket return. I think it was either 6.95 or 8.95. That was earlier this week with a Rab positron I decided not to keep.

Try backpacking the lost coast in winter. It's a great place to get acquainted with wet, chilly weather.

The ski areas around Lake Tahoe are open.
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Signpost View Post
    Try backpacking the lost coast in winter. It's a great place to get acquainted with wet, chilly weather.
    Exactly what I was thinking.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++