WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Ghee Packets

Default Ghee Packets

I was at the grocery store yesterday and saw something new (at least to me) - ghee in individual packets.

ghee.jpg

Here is a link: https://kelapo.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=47
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Very cool, I've never seen it packed that way either. Great find!

Not cheap at $1.19/packet, but tempting. Seems right-sized, too.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

I've been putting a spoon full of ghee into those pill sized mini zip-lock baggies. When needing to use it I cut off one bottom corner and squeeze out the contents. Works very well.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasBob View Post
    I was at the grocery store yesterday and saw something new (at least to me) - ghee in individual packets.

ghee.jpg

You know, you can clarify your own butter by simply heating it slowly over low heat and tossing out the solids left in the bottom of the pot. Works best in a double boiler set up, but only takes a few minutes.
    Here is a link: https://kelapo.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=47
    You know, you can clarify your own butter by simply heating it slowly over low heat and then tossing out the solids at the bottom of the pan. Works best in a double boiler set up, but will work in any pan/pot.
    humor is the gadfly on the corpse of tragedy

Quote Originally Posted by ADK Walker View Post
    I've been putting a spoon full of ghee into those pill sized mini zip-lock baggies. When needing to use it I cut off one bottom corner and squeeze out the contents. Works very well.
    I like this idea. I like the idea of ghee packets too but the only ones I can find are > $1 each, which makes them a luxury item to be sure.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Quote Originally Posted by greensleep View Post
    You know, you can clarify your own butter by simply heating it slowly over low heat and then tossing out the solids at the bottom of the pan. Works best in a double boiler set up, but will work in any pan/pot.
    Here is an even easier method that I use courtesy of Jacques Pepin:

Cut up 2 sticks of butter into chunks. Put chunks in a Pyrex measuring cup (2 cup size works well for me). Melt butter in microwave. Go slow and keep an eye on it or it will splatter. Let melted butter sit for 3-5 minutes. The butter will separate with the water and milk solids sinking to the bottom of the cup and the butter fat on top. Slowly pour off butter fat. I pour it into a jar with a screw top and keep it in the refrigerator. Great for saute and frying.
    Last edited by TexasBob; 11-29-2018 at 18:26.

Great idea.

I saw ghee packets the other day at Sprouts in the Atlanta area. Sprouts, Earthfare, TJ's, and WFoods have coconut oil packets too. Trader Joe’s Organic Virgin Coconut Oil Packets in a 7.1 fluid ounce box of 14 packets (.51 fluid ounces each) for $3.99. This is a great value on a … YUP!

If ya want Organic Spectrum brand can be had for 99 cts on sale at WF.

Just found the Coconut packets at TJ's which are awesome.

Another cool find that I enjoy is the 1/4 FL. Ounce packets of Coconut Aminos. Basically a soy sauce alternative but without the soy and MSG. Great on rice, noodles, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/Coconut-Amino...07889L749?th=1

Just found the Coconut packets at TJ's which are awesome.

Another cool find that I enjoy is the 1/4 FL. Ounce packets of Coconut Aminos. Basically a soy sauce alternative but without the soy and MSG. Great on rice, noodles, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/Coconut-Amino...07889L749?th=1
    What a wonderful addition. I didn't know it was available in packets. I used the Braggs Organic Coconut Liquid Aminos at home.

Mayo packets are notoriously hard to find, my main source is Krystal's restaurant, good gut-bombs, also, pre-hike....also like to pack Soy & Hot sauce packets.....
    Let's head for the roundhouse; they can't corner us there!

Quote Originally Posted by Last Call View Post
    Mayo packets are notoriously hard to find, my main source is Krystal's restaurant, good gut-bombs, also, pre-hike....also like to pack Soy & Hot sauce packets.....
    https://www.amazon.com/Individual-He.../dp/B00HZAJHR0
    https://www.amazon.com/Kikkoman-Soy-.../dp/B0046H8Q5E
    https://www.amazon.com/Cholula-Hot-S.../dp/B00FDGEIRC

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by QiWiz View Post
    I like this idea. I like the idea of ghee packets too but the only ones I can find are > $1 each, which makes them a luxury item to be sure.
    Seems a vac sealer is all need to make your own

I have an impact sealer and those vacuum sealer bags. (The vac sealer itself died). Anyway, cut and seal rectangular bags, about 1x 4 inches, seal off 3 sides so they are a long tube. Stand bags up in ice cube tray. Fill bags with melted coconut oil, olive oil or ghee about 2 Tbs or whatever you want for a serving size. Freeze. Then seal 4th side while squishing out extra air. Viola!

quick and easy. I store them in a big ziplock in freezer and pull out whatever I need for hike. I use these fats for everyday cooking and I think trying to stick with a fairly normal (for me) diet on trail helps prevent stomach issues.

i like the idea of using the little pill packs, maybe I got the wrong kind but the ones I got leak.

I think the prefilled ones would be great to mail order from amazon for resupplies.

Quote Originally Posted by rustmd View Post
    Thanks for this link. I like the honey packs.

Images

Ghee is sold at Aldis. Ask an associate to help you find it. Brand name "Carlini" 13oz jar. Product of USA or New Zealand

https://www.instacart.com/aldi/produ...d-butter-13-oz

++ New Posts ++