WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries
    Images

Default HangTight on Etsy

I was puttering around the Interwebs(TM) this noon, with some Christmas coin burning a hole in my pockets. Been looking for an underquilt/top quilt combo for all season hammock hanging. I'd been looking at JRB, Warbonnet, etc. One link came up for etsy and I went "uh-oh" lets look at it anyhow. This guy is getting rave reviews for his work:

https://www.etsy.com/shop/HangTightS...hopheader-name

20 degree under/top quilt combo for under $200. I placed an order and will test it out over the winter in all conditions (in my backyard and at Shenandoah) and will update this periodically with my thoughts. If this set performs, I'll be a happy hanger.

Those are good prices

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by chknfngrs View Post
    Those are good prices
    My thoughts exactly. I'll post reviews as I test them out.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Wow, those are amazing prices! I'll be very interested in total weight, ease-of-setup & take-down, packed volume, perceived comfort in the 20's, and overall workmanship.

I used to own a Hennessey, but I got frustrated with trying to use (and carry) a sleeping pad. It was the best backwoods sleep I've ever had, however.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Good luck with the quilts. Just happened to notice you are from "Sudley, VA" and it caught my attention as I live off of Sudley Manor in Bristow.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Studlintsean View Post
    Good luck with the quilts. Just happened to notice you are from "Sudley, VA" and it caught my attention as I live off of Sudley Manor in Bristow.
    I'm just off of Sudley Manor Dr., too...at the other end closer to the splash park. If you ever want hiking company, just holler. There is a DCMA hiking group on FB but they aren't very active.
    Last edited by Greenlight; 12-03-2018 at 18:54.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenlight View Post
    I'm just off of Sudley Manor Dr., too...at the other end closer to the splash park. If you ever want hiking company, just holler. There is a DCMA hiking group on FB but they aren't very active.
    Thanks for the offer. My wife just had our first kid 3 weeks ago so my hiking will likely be at a minimum for a bit. That said, it was a boy and I’m looking forward to getting him started young as my dad did with me and my 4 brothers. I am hoping to do a one nighter in Grayson Highlands around Christmas while we visit the in laws since grandma can help mom for a night.

Journal Entries
    Images

You'll enjoy Grayson Highlands. If you can get to White Top the view is amazing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Greenlight View Post
    You'll enjoy Grayson Highlands. If you can get to White Top the view is amazing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Thanks again. I actually hiked Whitetop (Elk Garden) to Damascus over Xmas a few years ago. My plan is Elk Garden to Fox creek this year.

We have a saying in my family and “it doesn’t matter if it’s a boy or a girl, as long as the boy is healthy!”

Congrats and Hike On!

Quote Originally Posted by Studlintsean View Post
    Thanks for the offer. My wife just had our first kid 3 weeks ago so my hiking will likely be at a minimum for a bit. That said, it was a boy and I’m looking forward to getting him started young as my dad did with me and my 4 brothers. I am hoping to do a one nighter in Grayson Highlands around Christmas while we visit the in laws since grandma can help mom for a night.

Quote Originally Posted by chknfngrs View Post
    We have a saying in my family and “it doesn’t matter if it’s a boy or a girl, as long as the boy is healthy!”

Congrats and Hike On!
    Haha that’s great. Thanks and yes baby and mom are both healthy.

Those are made with two costco down quilts, each . I made a DIY underquilt with them in two layers. I would say the 20 degree rating is more or less accurate. They are heavier than a scratch made 20 degree set because of all the extra fabric, but that's a pretty reasonable price for a whole set. If you can thread a sewing machine and make crooked lines with one, you could make up a set for about half the price. Either way, not a bad score.

Cheers,
    The Goat

++ New Posts ++