Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1

    Default Hammock on Colorado Trail thru hike

    I much prefer my hammock to a tent.

    I thru hiked the JMT this August and went to a ground setup for fear of a lack of good hammock spots.

    In retrospect I could have easily used my hammock everynight except one without much effort.

    Could thru hiking the CT be done easily with a hammock? Meaning will I have trouble finding opportunities to hammock without having to plan my day around it?

    Thanks yall
    Last edited by blue indian; 12-02-2018 at 23:57.

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    06-02-2011
    Location
    Neptune Beach, Fl
    Age
    45
    Posts
    6,105

    Default

    Check out beardo and Sweetoea @ longdistancehiker.com, they hung but several others I spoke with said it was a pita and really had to plan your day around it...when I redo CT Iíll stick to the ground but didnít see many issues using hammock for first half and maybe switch to ground after Collegiate West.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. #3

    Default

    I don't know if you been over to hammockforums or not, but there are a couple of members over there (may be members here too) that have done exactly what you are asking about. I hung out with them at Grayson Highlands, not to long after they had completed their CT thru hike - a few years back now. They are: hipbone and mtn goat. They've thru hiked long distance trails in addition to the CT. Great couple for sure, and maybe a great source of info for you.

    u.w.

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Check out beardo and Sweetoea @ longdistancehiker.com, they hung but several others I spoke with said it was a pita and really had to plan your day around it...when I redo CT I’ll stick to the ground but didn’t see many issues using hammock for first half and maybe switch to ground after Collegiate West.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


    Thats what I was worried about. I have no doubt a ground setup is more flexible, especially on a a hike such as this. But I sleep so much better in my hammock and my setup is super dialed in.

    I was told the same thing about the JMT and there was only one night (guitar lake) where I would not have been able to hang.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by u.w. View Post
    I don't know if you been over to hammockforums or not, but there are a couple of members over there (may be members here too) that have done exactly what you are asking about. I hung out with them at Grayson Highlands, not to long after they had completed their CT thru hike - a few years back now. They are: hipbone and mtn goat. They've thru hiked long distance trails in addition to the CT. Great couple for sure, and maybe a great source of info for you.

    u.w.

    Yes, I am a hammock forum member as well. THanks for the heads up!

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    06-02-2011
    Location
    Neptune Beach, Fl
    Age
    45
    Posts
    6,105

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blue indian View Post
    Thats what I was worried about. I have no doubt a ground setup is more flexible, especially on a a hike such as this. But I sleep so much better in my hammock and my setup is super dialed in.

    I was told the same thing about the JMT and there was only one night (guitar lake) where I would not have been able to hang.
    I will likely redo the CT next fall and will likely hang till monarch pass then go to ground as will plan a stay at simple hostel in Salina where can easily mail home hammock set up.....


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    06-02-2011
    Location
    Neptune Beach, Fl
    Age
    45
    Posts
    6,105

    Default

    Salida


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #8

    Default

    I hiked the CDT last year, which parallels the CT for a few hundred miles so I'm only speaking to the CDT section. If you're willing to plan your route and daily miles around finding trees I think you can make it happen most nights. There was a lot of trail above treeline in the San Juans though. I cowboy camped through this whole section, high up on ridges and passes mostly.

    I love hammocks too but wasn't going to bother with the hassle on the CDT. So glad I didn't. But I did meet a couple of guys who used one and were even able to hang in the desert somehow. So if there's a will, there's a way.

  9. #9

    Default

    Monarch Pass? You should be able to get to Spring Creek Pass at Lake City with a hammock. After that is where it gets high and stays high. In between Salida and Lake City was a lot of flat and low ground in the middle, a couple higher sections but there were trees around the trail on either side of the high points, which only lasted a couple of miles above tree line. Nothing like the San Juans where it gets high and stays high.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    05-05-2011
    Location
    state of confusion
    Posts
    9,869
    Journal Entries
    1

    Default

    Not a problem if want to hike tree to tree, and can hike far enough. You dont stay above treeline for more than 15 -20 mi at time about max. Trees arent the most scenic places though. Sometimes your at "bushline", and would need to go off trail a ways lower for trees.

    Anytime i was camped above treeline, trees werent very far away.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 01-18-2019 at 14:16.

++ New Posts ++

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •