WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by trailmercury View Post
    Don't children "wish" for presents that they may never receive?
    I'm still waiting for that Hot Wheels double racing track with the loop! Maybe I'll buy one and donate it to a Christmas toy drive. (I promise I won't open it... even a little.)

Won't buy cheap (Chinese) garbage. Bring on high-quality American-made gear. I don't care about the price if the quality is top. I'll save money elsewhere.

Images

along the lines of Gankenberry's post re $600 tent. I've always lusted over a Duplex, but likely will never spend that much on a tent. I already have too many. However, if I ever see a nice camo one around $450 in decent shape... MAAAAYYYBEEEEEE.
    Doin' the trail one section at a time
    You can read about my adventures at
    http://happyonthetrails.wordpress.com/

The mere fact that people exist who push the limits of human endurance is in itself a powerful contribution to society, inspiring the goal-driven attitudes that lead to invention and social prosperity. There are many more ways to contribute to society than just economically.

To answer the OP: I'd buy anything on my list.
    Last edited by Zalman; 12-08-2018 at 14:22.

Images

I won't buy things that I want from Amazon, except Kindle books under $3.00. I support small businesses whenever possible. I have mixed feelings about Wal Mart because I buy groceries there but I don't buy "stuff" there.

As far as the part of the discussion about being a productive member of society goes, I would not feel bad about not paying taxes and all of that other "supportive" stuff while thruhiking. There are more than enough consumers present to buy "stuff" in my stead if I'm away hiking for an extended period.

In the spirit of the original post, I wouldn't buy a Z Packs Arc Blast.
    Long-distance aspirations with short-distance feet.... :jump

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime View Post
    One of those incredibly warm and impossibly expensive sleeping bags....oh wait, got one!
    i was that way. Wife insisted.

Same with rain gear.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by foodbag View Post
    I won't buy things that I want from Amazon, except Kindle books under $3.00. I support small businesses whenever possible. I have mixed feelings about Wal Mart because I buy groceries there but I don't buy "stuff" there.

As far as the part of the discussion about being a productive member of society goes, I would not feel bad about not paying taxes and all of that other "supportive" stuff while thruhiking. There are more than enough consumers present to buy "stuff" in my stead if I'm away hiking for an extended period.

In the spirit of the original post, I wouldn't buy a Z Packs Arc Blast.
    Small businesses sell on amazon too........
    Amazon is just a one stop marketplace with fast delivery.
    American jobs btw involved at every step.

I like brick and mortar stores, but when you can order what you want, and stores dont carry it, theres no going back. Online order is here to stay, end .Expanding to even groceries. Saves time and money.

I buy a few gift items from Etsy....a good place where small artisans market their stuff.

Walmart ....is china mart basically. Very sad to see.
    But it is the cheap throwaway crap that allows the average american to have stuff. We could not afford everything to be american made.....or even japanese....thats why people had so few items prior to chinese mfg explosion. The poor masses without any savings....still have all the toys....pacifies them...keeps them content.

Think of it this way...we are exploiting them...cheap labor. they are polluting their country and we are not. But it wont last. The cycle for emerging cheap labor in foreign countries is about 30 yrs. Once people expect a better standard of living, you have to move production elsewhere. Japan went thru it, and korea. Chinas probably halfway. Where next?

I was watching tv the other day with wife, sparks fell out bottom of tv.. Went down to china mart and bought a new 50" tv, $300. Its throwaway, they all are. Couldnt have bought that 15 yrs ago, even not-smart and not flat .screen.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 12-09-2018 at 17:07.

Never is a word that I have found doesn't apply to when I will pay $X for hiking gear.
    I started a savings account for hiking gear, and it has grown enough to justify just about anything I used to think was unreasonably expensive.
    At the moment, my $220 sleeping bag and my $300 tent will keep me warm and dry until it's time to replace them...but when it is time:
    $500 sleeping bag? Sure.
    $600 tent? Sure.

I have mostly mid-quality gear bought on sale when possible and I would consider upgrading Big 3 items if I decide to do another long trail. At first I was aghast at the prices of Zpacks stuff, but my now-boyfriend pointed out that if he was living in his Duplex for 5-6 months, why not spend one month's worth of rent on it? I still love my lil' REI quarter dome, but I might use that kind of rationale for getting a nice ultralight pack and/or quilt if I end up hiking the PCT.

The main thing I find hard to justify is expensive clothing. Maybe for a good puffy, but everything else, it's hard to justify $100+ for clothing items when adequate stuff is a third of the price or less, and there's not the big weight difference that you see between other high- vs. low-quality gear. At Trail Days I tried on a hiking dress from LightHeart Gear and was tempted. I kept coming back to their booth over the course of the weekend just to touch it. It was thoughtfully designed for hiking, with great pockets, and looked cute. But I ended up hiking most of the remainder of my thru-hike in a $3 pair of running shorts I got from that thrift store in Damascus where everyone buys silly clothes for the parade. I bought them just to wear during laundry, but ended up finding them more convenient than my Nike leggings (thought I wanted the leggings for bug/poison ivy protection, but poison ivy and ticks turned out to be a non-issue, and mosquitoes could bite right through them).

I still love the idea of that LightHeart hiking dress. But I'll never spend $90 on it when there's something adequate for so much less.
    A.T. 2018 Thru-hiker
    Follow along at www.tefltrekker.com

Registered Offender

Quote Originally Posted by RockDoc View Post
    Won't buy cheap (Chinese) garbage. Bring on high-quality American-made gear. I don't care about the price if the quality is top. I'll save money elsewhere.
    The Chinese also make some very nice stuff, like the phone or computer you are using.

I was in the market for one of those lightweight, very small packing inflatable pads, to replace my selfinflating Thermarest Prolite Plus.

Now I have been on a short desert trip recently and we decided to stay overnight in a cave, which seemed to be an extremely nice place.
    Light faded quick in the evening and preparing the exact spot in the cave for the night we did in a bit of a hurry. Which was a really bad idea.
    The Thermarest went flat even before I could put my body to rest. There were too many thorns mixed with the sand on the floor, which I hadn't noticed before.

So now I'm sure I'll never buy one of those lightweight, extra-thin inflatables.

Quote Originally Posted by RockDoc View Post
    Just perusing through my high-quality gear. Turns out my big 3 are all American-made: Feathered Friends, SeekOutside, Tarptent. Also my Danner boots. But none of my other quality clothing is; I wonder if it's possible to get quality backcountry wear that's made in the U.S.A. Even North American companies like Arc'teryx (made in Burma) and Railriders (made in Mauritius) outsource construction.

Journal Entries

Z-packs tent...

Adventure Trekker/Science Geek
    Images

Mountain Hardwear Satellite. -like the mini 4 person geodesic dome thing. Discontinued!?! *whimper*. Hope I catch up with one at some point.
    "Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible." -Feynman

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    I would have to say for me would be a cottage company down jacket. The price point versus the abuse it takes - i cant value the price.

From another perspective a thru hike. I cant value the time spent away from the real world of contibuting to society. (However when I retire, I will have a goal of 1000 miles per year as a trip estimation.).

Just wanted to give two perspectives of a “wish list” for the topic
    A different perspective: One can contribute to society on a thru hike or as one travels. Perhaps, more so in some ways. Thru hiking does nor have to be approached in an always self indulgent alienated manner. If one is bettering themselves on a thru hike, or any activity outside of society, and return to the so called "real world" doesn't that better society? Aren't there many examples of people who did/do exactly this?

Look at Tipi Walter's trip reports. Even though he has some anti societal issues and isn't 'thru-hiking'(he actually is in his own way) look how many people he influences by genuinely engaging with them, being interested in NOT just himself; look at all the pics of people he offers in every trip report; look at the trail maintenance he offers for the benefit of others and himself. Tipi's perspective is to make himself genuinely available to others while hiking/camping. Sure he's out in Mrs Nature for himself BUT NOT JUST FOR HIMSELF. Hiking or even thru -hiking does NOT have to be a 100% alienated selfish affair.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Small businesses sell on amazon too........
    Amazon is just a one stop marketplace with fast delivery.
    American jobs btw involved at every step.

I like brick and mortar stores, but when you can order what you want, and stores dont carry it, theres no going back. Online order is here to stay, end .Expanding to even groceries. Saves time and money.

I buy a few gift items from Etsy....a good place where small artisans market their stuff.

Walmart ....is china mart basically. Very sad to see.
    But it is the cheap throwaway crap that allows the average american to have stuff. We could not afford everything to be american made.....or even japanese....thats why people had so few items prior to chinese mfg explosion. The poor masses without any savings....still have all the toys....pacifies them...keeps them content.

Think of it this way...we are exploiting them...cheap labor. they are polluting their country and we are not. But it wont last. The cycle for emerging cheap labor in foreign countries is about 30 yrs. Once people expect a better standard of living, you have to move production elsewhere. Japan went thru it, and korea. Chinas probably halfway. Where next?

I was watching tv the other day with wife, sparks fell out bottom of tv.. Went down to china mart and bought a new 50" tv, $300. Its throwaway, they all are. Couldnt have bought that 15 yrs ago, even not-smart and not flat .screen.
    Where next? Perhaps Africa. China has been investing heavily there for the natural resources, but also potential for cheap labor once some infrastructure is in place.
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    yes? I think you are trying to make a point that thru hikers contribute to sustaining business? Meh, I would debate that. I have never seen a thru hiker pay for a ride. Or buy gear from an outfitter(I understand that this does happen) but not enough that it keeps their doors open.

Thread back on topic.
    I have bought my fair share of footwear, and sleep kit from outfitters and I budget way lower than the average thruhiker.

Have seen many with money upgrade their gear, and footwear when I would have gotten hundreds more miles out of the kickers.
    I have seen hikers almost completely revamp their gear while thruhiking.

Many buy new gear instead of having their changeout sent to them like they had planned.

Sure it might not keep the outfitters doors open, but it is part of the collective.

Never got a outfitter shuttle, but payed for a fair share of hostel and other various shuttles.
    Last edited by petedelisio; 12-30-2018 at 11:11.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    2 years ago, I would've said "trekking poles" but then I hiked in the (very steep) Montenegro and Albania and had to find sticks to help me up some of the hills, it was THAT steep!
    So, I bought a set.
    Took them to Taiwan (which is also very very steep!) and tried using them.
    On the 2nd day, I tripped over one and it bent.
    Now it won't go into it's sleeve all the way and I can no longer fit it reliably on my pack.
    So, into the closest they go, )
    Are there two loops on the bottom back of your pack?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++