WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Worried about food in the 100 Miles Wilderness...

I'm starting a SOBO hike soon and I guess I'm just getting the pre-thru hike jitters. I'm having a box with 5 days of food dropped off half way through the Hundred Miles Wildreness BUT I keep thinking what if I underestimated 5 days of food or take longer to get through the wilderness than planned? I'm planning on getting through in 10 days but who knows!?

Is there a place (other that White House Landing) where I can get more food IF I don't have enough. White House Landing will be before I hit the food drop off point so I guess I can always buy an extra day's worth there just in case. I know the food there will cost me an arm and a leg though.

No worries dude. . . of all the people I've ever known to hike the 100 Mile you are the first who had a food drop in the middle. . . . I've hiked it three years in a row and never needed a re-supply let alone a food drop in the middle. . . . you are over-prepared. . . . you will be fine. . .. have a great hike. . . .

Default The answer to your question is "yes"

Quote Originally Posted by atsent View Post
    I'm starting a SOBO hike soon and I guess I'm just getting the pre-thru hike jitters. I'm having a box with 5 days of food dropped off half way through the Hundred Miles Wildreness BUT I keep thinking what if I underestimated 5 days of food or take longer to get through the wilderness than planned? I'm planning on getting through in 10 days but who knows!?

Is there a place (other that White House Landing) where I can get more food IF I don't have enough. White House Landing will be before I hit the food drop off point so I guess I can always buy an extra day's worth there just in case. I know the food there will cost me an arm and a leg though.
    To answer your question directly, there are a number of camps that are only a few miles off of the AT. In an emergency, you could make your way to one of them, but it is highly unlikely that would happen.

A few years ago, I met a girl in exactly the situation you fear. It took her three days longer than she expected to hike to Monson so she ran out of food. Several other hikers shared their food with her. She experienced a little hunger, but made it just fine.

Shutterbug

Images

Default Pb

Seriously, if you are that concerned, throw in a jar of peanut butter and some crackers. That can be your insurance if you don't mind the weight. Might give you some peace of mind.
    Life is what happens while you are making other plans. John Lennon

2010 complete

Roughly, IMO, 60% of the wilderness is easy hiking. 10 days ought to do it.

Images

Throw in more power bars...
    Do one thing everyday...that makes you happy...

there's plenty of vehicle traffic in that wild 100 miles you'll hit a road or 2 every day. the hikin' is easy. don't fret or frown

Images

Dude, you are a human being, as a Scottich Caddy said to me, we are waterproof and can go for a long time without food, many have, many will in the future...........hike on and enjoy life & backpacking!

2010 complete

Quote Originally Posted by Del Q View Post
    Dude, you are a human being, as a Scottich Caddy said to me, we are waterproof and can go for a long time without food, many have, many will in the future...........hike on and enjoy life & backpacking!
    I can't hike without food. I need the energy for the climbs. A hershey bar is half my emergency kit.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Ha, you won't believe what my son and I had to live on in the 100 mile wilderness in the final days before Abol Bridge (and we were doing 20 plus miles). You won't starve but yeah, you could get hungry. Bet you have more mass than we did though! Just make your food last, you'll make it just fine.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Virginia Tortoise

I'm doing the 100 mile wilderness this August and plan on carrying 12 days worth of food. 10 for the trail and 2 for Katahdin Stream Campground the day before and the day after I summit Baxter Peak.

Quote Originally Posted by mikec View Post
    I'm doing the 100 mile wilderness this August and plan on carrying 12 days worth of food. 10 for the trail and 2 for Katahdin Stream Campground the day before and the day after I summit Baxter Peak.
    That's as sound as a plan there is. . . . nice work mikec. . . . have agreat time. . .

Thanks for all the replies! You've put my mind at more ease. Yes, I may be a little over-thinking it... I fully recognize it's cus I'm leaving soon and getting those pre-hike jitters. I'm SUPER excited though

Dancing bananas in honor of a soon to start SOBO!

Dance your way right through the 100 miles. Like Warry says, you are good to go. Stop by Whitehouse if you need more chow. First check when they open. Don't have to buy chow for the trail there just consume one of those big burgers, sandwiches. or pizzas there. If you have any leftovers take it on the trail with you to share with the bears. LOL

For NOBO's what about the availability of food once you reach park road or campground before the climb up Katahdin?

Default Abol

Quote Originally Posted by Kanati View Post
    For NOBO's what about the availability of food once you reach park road or campground before the climb up Katahdin?
    There is a small General Store right beside the ABOL Bridge, just as you come out of the 100 Mile Wilderness and just before you enter Baxter State Park.

http://www.campstorent.com/abol.htm
    Shutterbug

++ New Posts ++