WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default looking for a 3+ season tent

Hello All.

i'm in search of a tent that isn't an expedition grade tent like say black diamond fitzroy or the north face Ve-25 but that will still hold up to the weather at or below treeline in new england i.e. strong winds and snow loads in sheltered campsites. i plan on hiking mostly around the whites and the AT near me in massachusetts. currently, i hammock camp for most of the year however, for winter time, i found that i have to make a substantial investment in insulation for hammocking that i'm not willing to make at this moment - hammocking suits my needs for three seasons that aren't called winter. i would like a tent for winter.

I was thinking of the following tents:
    REI Arete ASL 2
    Marmot Fortress 2 P
    Alps Mountaineering Tasmanian 2

i dont currently use trekking poles so most trekking poles tents are out. i have an exped downmat 9 and a good 0 degree bag and some other quilts i can use to supplement but i'm also under a bit of a budget constraint. i dont think i can justify any of the hillebergs and i certainly dont want to chance it on any of the Geertop knock offs on amazing (especially not in inclement weather).

i know this question comes up sometimes and it becomes an argument between get the right tool for the job and buy a hilleberg, or, screw it and just go out there with a big agnes seedhouse to see what happens. i hope that there's a happy medium.

i am hopeful that someone has used the above tents or can provide a recommendation for something that they do use that i could purchase in reasonable to new condition for under $300 that wouldn't collapse under most condition that the winter time in new england might bring about.

thanks

There is a nice freestanding hilleberg on ebay rn for $250
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Images

i was looking for a two person tent for me and my friend. i know it will be cramped. it's cool. just to be able to split the weight is the reason why.

if it's the Unna - that's a nice looking tent but, its an auction and will likely sell for much more and it's one person.

Thanks though.

The TarpTent Scarp 2 is on sale right now for $339 with the solid inner and crossing poles. It is a good middle ground between a full winter tent and a 3 season.

https://www.tarptent.com/product/scarp-2/

Images

Quote Originally Posted by soumodeler View Post
    The TarpTent Scarp 2 is on sale right now for $339 with the solid inner and crossing poles. It is a good middle ground between a full winter tent and a 3 season.

whipped out the credit card and went right to the site.

the crossing poles and mesh interior are sold out.

can't win sometimes.

thanks though.

Try again - I had no problem adding them to cart just now and it specifically indicated they had 2 in stock.

Call TT and see if they can swap a pole set over to the solid inner from a mesh inner for you.

They have 2 mesh with poles in stock, and 2 solid without poles in stock.

Quote Originally Posted by soumodeler View Post

Beat me to it. Folks in the UK use the Scarp year round. They have videos even.
    Wayne

Call Henry. Perhaps he will sell the tent now and ship the crossing poles later. You do want the solid inner tent. Really.
    Wayne

Images

I am selling an Exped Venus 2. As far as 4 season and livability go I think it’s hard to beat for the weight without getting into the Hilleberg money.
    here is the craigslist I have on it.
    https://knoxville.craigslist.org/spo...768624343.html

[email protected]

I have a Marmot Tungsten 2P UL that I’d be interested in selling. Used a dozen times, great condition.
    Have the footprint as well, never used.
    We don’t stop hiking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop hiking.
    - Finis Mitchell

https://lighterpack.com/r/6yyu2j

I was gonna say look at the MSR Fury tent---excellent little thing---but dangit the MSR honchos discontinued the model. Disappearing tent models are a big problem nowadays---so if you find something your really like---buy four of them.

For two people (heck I use it for all my solo trips) I highly recommend the Hilleberg Keron 3. Expensive, sure. Perfect for two people. Comes in at 8 lb 10ozs---perfect weight for two people and perfect for a solo backpacker who can handle the weight. Here's a pic of the Keron in action during a recent trip---

Trip 188 (17)-XL.jpg

++ New Posts ++