WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Default Hoodie or No Hoodie

I am in the market for a new fleece mid layer. I was about to do what I always do, buy a hoodless full front zip mid layer and carry a beanie with me if needed. But judging from what companies are marketing, it is clear to me that the hooded variety is more popular.

Now this may seem strange, but I have gone my whole life without ever owning, or wearing a hoodie. Not on the trail, not in my regular life, I've just never worn a hoodie. Now I am wondering if I am missing out on something? For all you hoodie lovers, can you tell me what you prefer about the hoodie? Should I pick up a cheap one from from Goodwill to test drive before I pull the trigger on some new gear?

In my mind I see the advantages of a hoodie as...
    It keeps the back of your neck warm
    It makes it harder to lose your 'hat'

The advantage I see in going non-hoodie is the flexibility of adding and subtracting components based on need.
    That and not having something flopping around the back of your neck when the hood is not in use. I have some tactile issues, so I don't think I would like that feeling, but I have never tried it.

Am I missing something here? Is it time I experienced the wonder of hoodies?
    “For of all sad words of tongue or pen,
    the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier

I picked up a Patagonia R1 hoody at the REI sale and immediately fell in love with it. Super warm, yet super versatile with the super long zip. I was just like you, skeptical at first, but I love having that layer now.

Your not missing anything lol
    I have several hooded and non hooded garments. When I am wearing a non hooded, never have I ever said "man Al you really screwed up not bringing the hooded version.
    When I carry the hooded version sometimes I use the hood, other times I do not. When I am not using the hood, I don't even know its back there.

My biggest qualm with hoods is that most do not have a head shock cord, so the hood just kinda free floats. A headlamp is a good solution to this.. Even if its not dark.
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

I have a hood on my hiking winter jacket, which makes for quick ventilation/warmth control/snow off my head issues while moving. I don't think I'd want a hood in normal non winter conditions, especially as a mid-layer, where the hood down is just going to bunch up on the back of your neck. I have an over-abundance of versatile buffs and hats already. When a hat gets sweaty, I can pop it over the top of a pole and let it dry out, a hood is just going to clump on the back of my neck.

Might be nice around camp, or around the house, or when I'm not sweating, as I tend to do on the trail. Sure, go for a cheap one and test drive it. I should probably do so myself before commenting.

I didn't think I'd want one, but then I got something that had a hood. I really liked it, and now have bought a few things with hoods because of the experience. You suggested that you could try something inexpensive from Goodwill... that surely wouldn't hurt. And then you'd know.

In cool temps I prefer the looseness of a hood to the snugness of a hat. For me, a hood is more versatile for micro temp regulating - which really can matter. Don't get me wrong, I still carry a hat. I like the wind protection for the back and sides of my neck. I too, have some "tactile issues", I've never had that issue with my hood (on my mid layer - rain shell, yes). I actually prefer a hooded mid layer to having a hood on my down/synthetic puffy. I like the softness of a hood on a fleece. I like being able to pull it up entirely over my head and cover my eyes while napping. I prefer full pullover or quarter zip and a pouch over pockets. That's just what I have found to be my preference over the years and seasons. Personally, I will not go back to hoodless.

I’m 72. No hoodie ever. Don’t make the mistake now.
    I have multiple head gear options instead of a built in hoodie. Much more versatile.
    Wayne

PS: Fleece head bands are also part of my headgear inventory. Totally awesome for in between conditions.
    No hoodies ever!
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    I’m 72. No hoodie ever. Don’t make the mistake now.
    Once you go hood, you're in it for good.

Judging from what I see in my age restricted neighbor hood, even people who are obviously over dressed (the sweater in summer crowd) often have minimal head covering. One neighbor in particular NEVER wears any thing on his head/neck, even with sub zero temps.

I on the other hand stay warm easily BUT if my neck is not warm, I'M NOT comfortable. Started wearing hoodies about 10 years ago while working on a job that saw me in outdoor temps for 6-8 hrs. a day and now I know the key to warmth and comfort for me is a hoodie...my logic for its value is based on having NEVER seen an expedition weight parka without a hood.

Since we are also taught our heads represent the largest heat loss, its seem to me its just common sense to address that loss first...since there are no major muscles in the head and its hard to generate much heat with your neck muscles, it seem logical to control the loss there and use layers to moderate heat production and loss in those areas where we do generate warmth.

Clothing should be a system. What else will you be wearing?

I use an OR Ferrosi hoody as an outer layer in cold temps, and the hood is indispensable. Let's me get away with a Buff on my head, and the hood goes up and down as needed.
    I run hot, and typically don't use a mid layer, but when it's so cold that I can hike in fleece, it's cold enough that I want it to have a hood, too.

That's pretty much never for me. My R1 hoody is packed up and being gifted to a friend, since I don't get any use from it, but the point is that I wouldn't have bought it without the hood.

The OP’s question is about a FLEECE HOODIE.
    Even after passing a couple items to my grandkids, I still own too many fleece garments. If that’s possible? None have hoods.
    I reserve hoods for dedicated rain/cold weather outer jackets and parkas.
    Wayne

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by imscotty View Post
    I am in the market for a new fleece mid layer. I was about to do what I always do, buy a hoodless full front zip mid layer and carry a beanie with me if needed. But judging from what companies are marketing, it is clear to me that the hooded variety is more popular.

Now this may seem strange, but I have gone my whole life without ever owning, or wearing a hoodie. Not on the trail, not in my regular life, I've just never worn a hoodie. Now I am wondering if I am missing out on something? For all you hoodie lovers, can you tell me what you prefer about the hoodie? Should I pick up a cheap one from from Goodwill to test drive before I pull the trigger on some new gear?

In my mind I see the advantages of a hoodie as...
    It keeps the back of your neck warm
    It makes it harder to lose your 'hat'

The advantage I see in going non-hoodie is the flexibility of adding and subtracting components based on need.
    That and not having something flopping around the back of your neck when the hood is not in use. I have some tactile issues, so I don't think I would like that feeling, but I have never tried it.

Am I missing something here? Is it time I experienced the wonder of hoodies?
    Honestly, youve likely never had a good one then.
    I live in mine in the trail in cool weather
    Ive worn holes thru elbows in 2

Having hood that cinches around face to make loose balaclava is the shizzle when cool breeze blows, or sleeping in quilt. Coming over a pass with stiff cold wind....instant balaclava.

First layer on , last off . Sleep in most nights
    hood1.jpg

IMG_20170711_090236853_HDR.jpg

hood2.jpg

hood3.jpg

hoody4.jpg

hood.jpg
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 12-07-2018 at 22:42.

I too am a convert and really like a fleece hoody. As said the temperature regulation on the go is great and you can stay warm in a cold windy rain without sacrificing your hat. That said I find it most useful for active situations in the colder three seasons.

AT 2012

A fleece hoodie is too much material imho... I wouldn't get one. I would get a base layer with a hoodie instead, and use it with a hat in combo. See you at harriman park with my hoodie on. I'll even sport a wool buff/neck gaiter as well if cold enough. I like a lot of light head warmth options.
    Last edited by 1azarus; 12-07-2018 at 23:19.
    Lazarus

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 1azarus View Post
    A fleece hoodie is too much material imho... I wouldn't get one. I would get a base layer with a hoodie instead, and use it with a hat in combo. See you at harriman park with my hoodie on. I'll even sport a wool buff/neck gaiter as well if cold enough. I like a lot of light head warmth options.
    Hey Laz,
    You know, I am reaching an age where I could use some extra cover on the top of my head
    I will see you in Harriman.

Scott

John Greenleaf Whittier

Images

Thank you for the input everyone. You have given me some things to think about, I might pick up a cheapo hoodie just to give it a try.

I was intending this for three-season use.

My base is a merino wool short-sleeve T-shirt
    A thin fleece next, without hoodie
    A wind jacket that has a hood. I almost never use that hood, but it is light enough that it does not bother me hanging back there.

I prefer the wind through my thinning hair, some drizzle on my head, or my beanie if I really need it.
    The above has always kept me safe and warm down to freezing temps and a light rain as long as I am moving.

My hoodless puffy is for camp only, or an emergency. If conditions turn really bad, I prefer to hole-up.

John Greenleaf Whittier

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by imscotty View Post
    I might pick up a cheapo hoodie just to give it a try.

With a lot of things, the quality makes all the difference.

I wouldnt consider a cheap down bag, equivalent to my western mountaineering.
    Or a poorly cut, heavy, cheap jacket equivalent to a high end
    Or a crack whore equivalent to my wife

Or a cheap fleece equivalent to a good one. The cut, and material, and features make the difference, and why it commands more than $10 old navy price..

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    With a lot of things, the quality makes all the difference.I wouldnt consider a cheap down bag, equivalent to my western mountaineering.
    Or a poorly cut, heavy, cheap jacket equivalent to a high end
    Or a crack whore equivalent to my wifeOr a cheap fleece equivalent to a good one. The cut, and material, and features make the difference, and why it commands more than $10 old navy price..
    All good points Muddy, but I was just referring to trying out the very concept of a hoodie. It can be cotton for all I care, to try out around the yard, not the trail. I'm just not sure I can stand that hood thing hanging off the back of my neck.

For reference, I have never worn any kind of jewelry or a watch. Borrowed a wedding ring 29 years ago for the ceremony and returned it ten minutes later and I have not worn one since. Honestly, it is all I can do to keep my clothes on. It is a tactile thing for me. But people seem to like their hoodies, so I thought I should at least give it a try.

John Greenleaf Whittier

Journal Entries

You missing point

My hoody doesnt hang off back
    It goes mostly around neck

I dont care for conventional cheap poor hoodys
    Never used them, dont like them
    Wouldnt use one if you gave it to me
    They are not all same, at all..

This one is vastly different