WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Section Shenandoah April'19-weather

I plan on continuing my SOBO section hike in Shenandoah in April 2019. I am wondering if anyone can enlighten me on historic weather in April, in Shanny. I go there all of the time, but don't have a feeling for early Spring. I know its probably a craps shoot. Maybe cold, maybe warm, maybe snow. I would appreciate any info.

Thanks, Capt.Scott
    SOBO Section ME>GA

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Capt.Scott View Post
    I plan on continuing my SOBO section hike in Shenandoah in April 2019. I am wondering if anyone can enlighten me on historic weather in April, in Shanny. I go there all of the time, but don't have a feeling for early Spring. I know its probably a craps shoot. Maybe cold, maybe warm, maybe snow. I would appreciate any info.

Thanks, Capt.Scott
    SOBO Section ME>GA
    You nailed it.
    If you're asking if someone is clairvoyant they're not.
    You'll know about a week ahead of time then you can plan for it.

Well, I hit the SNP the last week of April last year and one night I froze my butt off and there was slush in my water bottle in the morning. Guy in the hut with me said this thermometer read 22F. I was geared up for about 40. Glad it was only a 24 hour cold snap. 3 days later it was in the 80's with no shade and no water for 18 miles. There were even a couple of days which were down right pleasant.

There will be quite a bit of difference between early April and late April, with a much higher chance of cold, rainy weather in early April as opposed to late April.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Got pushed off trail last year about 50 miles south due to impending snow storm that wouldve trapped our car. Every thru we saw was heading for town due to it. Other days of same trip... hiked in shorts and short sleeve. Most likely guess: any given week in April will see some freezing nights, some warm days, probably some rain.

But still beats the office🤙🤙🤙🤙

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    There will be quite a bit of difference between early April and late April, with a much higher chance of cold, rainy weather in early April as opposed to late April.
    Agree with this, and will add I'd seen snow on the higher peaks in early April there, small accumulations however.

Journal Entries
    Images

Exclamation As far as predicting Shenandoah weather

In October of 2005 I drove down to SNP, expecting to get some AT miles done over the next few days. As I entered just before evening, I asked the ranger what the forecast was -- she replied, "Cold," for which I was fully prepared. The next morning there was an inch of ice everywhere on the road, with four inches of powdery snow on top of that -- NOT EXACTLY ideal driving conditions for a winding, mountain road like Skyline Drive!

In other words, you could ask about what weather to expect the NIGHT BEFORE you start a hike, and STILL get inadequate information!

I did most of VA in April-May a few years ago and absolutely froze FWIW. We went South from Thornton Gap and Shenandoah was like a Winter hike the whole way, no leaves on the trees. Later, the weather seemed to improve slightly so I sent my down coat, mittens, and wool hat home at Pearisburg, which was a big mistake because it was still absolutely freezing all the way to Damascus in mid May. There was a little bit of short pants-tee shirt type weather but it was the exception, not the rule.

I would certainly push for late April/ early may. This is my favorite time of the year to hike and I consider first 10 days of may to be the blooming days of spring. But if you are constrained to early April then plan on cold nights and possibly wet frozen uncomfortable days. You can see a historical image of the SNP webcam below by looking at the archives.

Shenandoah National Park Webcam
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

++ New Posts ++