WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Question Minimum amount of time needed to prepare? Latest date to start?

I've been thinking about the AT for several years now and in the last four weeks I've suddenly been overcome with a feeling that now is the time to complete this adventure that I've always seen myself attempting.

Although I've done my share of reading and researching, I have no equipment or preperation thus far this year for attemping a northbound hike for 2006. What is the latest date to start to make it before Katahdin closes? Is it really reasonable to start in the last few possible weeks/days?

How much time should you give yourself to gather equipment, prepare, workout, condition, etc? Like I said, it's something I've been preparing for mentally for years, but I have not done any real preperation thus far? I feel like I should have been spending the whole last year gathering equipment and doing experimental test hikes. But I figure if I can physically get everything I need in a month or so... why not? Doesn't a lot trial and error occur on the trail anyway? I feel as though I could adjust my equipment and setup as I start the beginning of the trail.

Me doing this would involve selling a house, quitting a job, etc.... it seems so drastic but I keep getting this insistent, urgent feeling that this is the year to do this. I feel like I was meant to hike this year and change my life and the situation I'm currently in.

Any thoughts or suggestions about preperation and late starting dates?

Thanks.

Many people put together a trip on relatively short notice, so it can certainly be done.

Unless you're a strong hiker, and don't plan on taking much time off, you'll want to leave by early May if you're heading North.

If you're thinking of going Southbound, you can leave Maine as late as late July; this would certainly give you some extra planning time.

Another alternative that'd give you extra planning and preparation time would be to start North from Harpers Ferry in late June or early July (you'll be in good company) and after you get to Maine, you can then travel back to Harpers and then hike south to Georgia. This way, you'll get to meet most of the Southbounders as well as many of the Nobos.

In any case, you have all sorts of possibilities, but if you're serious about this, the answer is yeah, you can make it happen if that's what you really want.

Jack is right. I was ready to go 3 weeks after finding out there was a trail. I didn't have any gear or experience to speak of, just read a book and a Nat. Geo. article. After buying my gear I worked 3 more weeks and took off (July 8th sobo). It's walking, town to town, to resupply. If you can walk you can do the AT. Plan on getting to the next town, repeat as nessesary. Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by evolross
    How much time should you give yourself to gather equipment, prepare, workout, condition, etc?
    I firmly believe 10 minutes is just about right. It usually takes 10 minutes into a thru to find out all of your preparation means less than nothing. Wait a minute change that to 5 minutes.

Something to think about....
    You should have plenty of time...and all of the above is very true....
    I would use some time to think through what kind of gear you need. This site is awesome for the ideas about what you need, and what can be left behind. Many people (myself included) bought gear that was unnecessary, or way to heavy. I would spend some time researching what you need, and if you have some money to buy....go with higher quality, light gear the first time around. You may also be able to find past hikers who can sell you some of this gear. A little time spent here might save you money later on. Otherwise...go for it, hiking on the AT is a great adventure.
    "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo

http://www.trailjournals.com/shadesofblue

Images

Selling a house and quitting a job are some very large steps. Make sure you take these steps wisely.
    I attempted a thru hike last year and failed partly because of some of the things I left brewing back at home. I had an apartment and car payment to pay off while hiking and that ate away at me mentally.
    I would plan mostly to take care of the stuff at home first. Secondly prepare what you need for the trail. You really can get away without a lot of preparation for the trail since you can adapt as you go along. But, once on the trail, it is very hard to take care of things left brewing at home.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jay
    I firmly believe 10 minutes is just about right. It usually takes 10 minutes into a thru to find out all of your preparation means less than nothing. Wait a minute change that to 5 minutes.
    Just curious then why there is such a high drop-out rate? Especially in the first few hundred miles? I'd think preparation is a key element, not just equipment-wise, but getting yourself ready physically and above all, mentally. I suppose if you are young, fresh out of college, between jobs, single, reasonable physical shape, you can get ready for a thru-hike in five to ten minutes. But for those of us with families, jobs, and joints that don't work as good as they used to, preparation is all the more important. And I for one don't want to be in that drop-out percentage.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Yellow Jacket
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful
    Just curious then why there is such a high drop-out rate? Especially in the first few hundred miles?
    Maybe the hike isn't what they expected. No amount of preparation could change expectations. Maybe reading trail journals, but even then how many journals even express "expectations"?

Honestly, take whatever gear you have now and 3-days worth of food and head NOBO mid to late April. Is about all the prep you need. You can easily figure out the rest along the way (new gear, guide books, food, etc.).

Now, many folks don't believe that, but its true.

Heck, its probably true for the PCT as well (as long as you bring enough water containers at the beginning).
    Yellow Jacket -- Words of Wisdom (tm) go here.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Default thru-hiking papers

If you are thinking of doing a thru-hike, I strong suggest reading Jim Owen's thru-hiking papers:
    http://www.spiriteaglehome.com/THP%20top.html
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Nean
    Jack is right. I was ready to go 3 weeks after finding out there was a trail. I didn't have any gear or experience to speak of, just read a book and a Nat. Geo. article. After buying my gear I worked 3 more weeks and took off (July 8th sobo). It's walking, town to town, to resupply. If you can walk you can do the AT. Plan on getting to the next town, repeat as nessesary. Good Luck!
    I would really like to know more about your first experience! my husband and I are planning to go and I have been mentally prepared for years, but I have no real experience. All the hype about preparing a year in advance has me nervous!
    Live the Dream Without risk, there is no reward. Georgia to Maine. What a reward!

GAVA '04; GAME '05
    Images

Take care of a house and job and all in about a month? wow.

Trailwise, pre-hike conditioning isn't all that important, you'll get in shape as you go and you're young. Gear-wise, you could just find somebody's complete gear list on this site pretty easily and just buy everything they're bringing.

Yellow Jacket
    Images

While I doubt I'd ever do a thru-hike, if someone held a squirt gun to my head and said "hike (within 2 months) or else....". This is what I'd do:
    1. Buy the Companion (the 2006 guide looks real nice now that the Databook info has been added) or the Handbook. Maybe the Data book to leave at home for my support person if I had one.
    2. Get a 32F bag (probably something from WM), 8x8 tarp, bug shelter (like the A16, for summer), stove/pot, insulated jacket (MEC Pullover?), pad (Prolite 3S??), etc. and a ~2# ~3200ci pack (like the ULA Circuit, Catalyst, etc.). Keeping my base pack weight under 12# (very, very easy to do. If you can't do this you aren't trying at all) if not 10# (easy to do).
    3. Walk around my flat town 1-2 hrs a day (1 hr am, 1hr pm) 7-days a week. No pack.
    4. Walk real stairs at my local "tall building" during lunch as time permits. No pack.
    5. Print out a copy of Jack's resupply list.
    6. Do a couple of weekend hikes, as time permits, to work out "kinks" in my gear selection.
    7. In late April, get a ride to trail head from friend, or fly to ATL and get shuttle.
    8. Pack 3-days worth of food in my pack.
    9. Possiblly send a bounce box of sorts to Neels Gap as Jack's list suggests.
    10. Buy food as I go, sending a bounce box as Jack's list, or current trail lore, suggests.
    11. Have fun.
    12. get up early and hike long slow days taking breaks with my shoes off!
    13. try not to get too caught up with folks that want me to do more, or less. There is plenty of time to find the right group. No since getting stuck with a-holes the first week.
    Did I leave anything out? That's not all that much prep work is it?

PS. As I already have experience with a hammock, I'd probably go that route, but I assume most folks don't. The Tarp/bug shelter is the only other shelter option to consider for the solo AT thru-hiker. Everything else is overkill.
    Yellow Jacket -- Words of Wisdom (tm) go here.

Selling the house can take a day (best case) to six months (worst case). We priced ours a little low and it sold in a day with closing a month later. Packing up is what is taking time - but we have a couple of months, so we'll be out of here soon.

Quitting your job - two weeks notice will do, for most jobs. Buying gear - I'd say about two weeks to a month, unless you are special ordering. Ask here before you buy. Outdoor stores will sell the most durable gear, not necessarily the best for a long hike (e.g. very heavy!) You can get ideas of what basics you need here from other people's gear lists.

There are a lot of details involved in starting a long hike if you are established (not a student), things like storage and insurance and cars and finances. But you really do have time, if you are really sure this is what you want.

Northbound you could leave anytime before May 1. Southbound -- anytime between June 1 and mid-August. Just remember that the later you start, the more winter weather you will run into. Days get very short by October. You have time to get into shape, if you start now no matter when you start. The AT is very forgiving. I met people on the trail who had never hiked before who were doing only 3-5 miles a day. They soon got in shape.

Of course, it is much harder that way, and a lot of the early drop outs are people who discovered that hiking all day every day is really hard work, especially when you aren't fit. But you have time, if you really really want this.

Images

I could actually leave AM tomorrow, well, in 5 minutes if I could. But then I have been preparing for over 40 years.

If in a situation similar to yours, I could most likely be "ready" in about 2 weeks, depending on how easily I found gear etc. Check out the Articles section for gear tips. You will need to decide what you NEED to have, bearing in mind that want is not the same as need. You will need: shelter of some sort (tent, tarp, hammock, etc.), a way to keep warm at night (quilt, sleeping bag, etc.) Food & possibly a way to prepare it (stove, cook pot, etc) Foot wear, altho some have done it barefoot. Clothing. AND, a way to carry all that stuff (pack, duffel bag, porters, etc.)

If you have time (Take the time!!) practice with everything at home.

Have fun!!

Doctari.
    Curse you Perry the Platypus!

[quote=evolross]I've been thinking about the AT for several years now and in the last four weeks I've suddenly been overcome with a feeling that now is the time to complete this adventure that I've always seen myself attempting.

Wow, congrats! Go. And go now! You are the envy of thousands! I'm celebrating with you.

Default Thanks for the info.

Thank you all so much for the support and valuable information. I am actually a young (24 years old) reasonably fit and free individual. I am a runner and can easily run 5 to 10 miles on a whim, however I know this is different than hiking vertical step-oriented terrain. I'm sure my legs would break in, get sore, and then build up. So I'm not worried physically. No spouse or girlfriend. Family that would be accepting of me taking on the venture.

I have been working in a job for 2.5 years as a software engineer (total cubicle, boss-butt kissing, not what I really want, put on a fake smile everyday - type of job). It does pay well though. But I would have no problem giving that up and like I mentioned above, I have some ideas for what I would like to move into, so hiking the AT would be something to do because I would be between jobs. And I honestly do not feel the AT is the cause for leaving the job... that would be happening anyway sooner or later.

The house... yes that's a predicament. Not because I don't think it would sell... I actually just had it built and have lived in it for about 4 months. More because of the idea of being homeless and where I would be going after the hike ends. I'd be lying though if that uncertainty isn't somewhat appealing to me. You also have the pain of putting stuff into storage and paying for that while hiking. Although I've worked out a plan to have sufficient funds for everything.

The car is something else... I'd probably have to sell that too since I currently make payments on it.

So yeah... WHAT A DECISION. It's tough, but it all comes down to which path truely makes you the richer person. The AT or the path the you're "supposed" to walk. One voice says to hold out another year, plan better, and be less caustic and drastic. The other voice says, if you don't do this you never will and drastic decisions are sometimes the best decisions.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

TOne voice says to hold out another year, plan better, and be less caustic and drastic. The other voice says, if you don't do this you never will and drastic decisions are sometimes the best decisions.
    There is always the middle path.

If you are not 100% *mentally* ready to do a thru-hike of the AT, perhaps you should wait. You are more likely to complete an at thru-hike if your mind is in the right place.

BUT, if you can get the vacation time (~ 3 weeks), doing a hike on the Long Trail is what I suggest. The LT is 270 miles in length. As young and fit person, (even with limitd hiking experience) suspect you can do a three week pace.

The LT will give you the feel of what it is like to thru-hike. You'll need to resupply, try out your gear, be out in all kinds of weather. I've done a fair amount of backpacking, and I sitll say the northern part of the LT is some of the hardest terrain (in terms of elev gain) that I've done. So you'll get a good taste of what a day of AT ups and downs are like!

Most importantly? You'll experience some beautiful terrain and see if the thru-hiking life is for you.

If you do the LT and enjoy, then there's your answer. You will know that you don't want to do the AT, you'll know you HAVE to do the AT. It is what worked for me (LT in 97, AT in 98).

Good luck!

A quick and dirty LT guide I wrote: (if slightly outdated for resupply):
    http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.ph...d=24&Itemid=33
    Last edited by Mags; 02-23-2006 at 14:27.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

So yeah... WHAT A DECISION. It's tough, but it all comes down to which path truely makes you the richer person. The AT or the path the you're "supposed" to walk. One voice says to hold out another year, plan better, and be less caustic and drastic. The other voice says, if you don't do this you never will and drastic decisions are sometimes the best decisions.

This has been a good thread.

I've had the mental thing now for the AT almost thirty years. Been thinking about preparing for the past three years. Got serious with gear, this great forum, etc., within the past few months. And taking my time getting deals on gear too and stuff for my son so he can go solo when my dh joins me for two months. Then I had to let book editors know a year in advance b/c of book contracts that could come while I'm gone. I had to get my dh used to the idea of separation. I had to wait for my son to be between high school and college so he could do this with me. I had to wait for finances. And I know with the way my knees are acting up and my back is getting worse, the time is now.

Let's just say - mental wise, you know you want to do this if anything and everything about the AT just makes you jump with excitement. Like my son is taking a band trip to Gatlinburg in April. I told him - wow, you'll see the Smokies from there! The trail runs right along there. Just think, next year you'll be hiking there. I got more excitement out of just saying that. So it's in me. Doing this is a part of me. It's just the timing. And for me, the time is 2007.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

Default its all about timing

Yes, your right Blissful.

It is all about timing. Im 25, married for two years, no kids. I absolutely hate my job(although working at a sawmill does keep me in shape). I just feel that now is the time, 2006 is my year and Im so excited I can hardly stand it. Who would have thought being constantly wet, tired, hungry, lonely, sore, bored, hot, thirsty...could be so exciting?!

Well, it is for me as Im sure it is for most.
    skinny d

++ New Posts ++