WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Help picking a tent

Like to buy a light weight tent but having trouble deciding on one. Looking hard at a SMD Lunar Solo but not sure about a non freestanding single wall tent. Did not know if getting it staked out properly would be a challenge at times and the issue with condensation. I have always used freestanding double wall tents but I know they will be heavier and more expensive than the SMD. Any advise or suggestions? Thanks

A few thoughts here, as I have eyed the SMD trekking pole tents for some time. Had I not scored a deal and a half on one from Sierra Designs, I'd have one by now, probably the Skyscape Scout. (the Trekker is lighter, but at the cost of dollars, waterproofness, and re-tensioning).

I don't quite understand the appeal of the Lunar tents over the Skyscapes, since the latter can open on both sides (IIRC), permitting a cross-breeze, but the Lunar ones only open on one side.

If you have always used freestanding double wall tents you know that the main difference is just that their fly gets just as much condensation - it's just that inner will diffuse condensation that gets knocked off by rain into a mist-like effect. Some may run down the sides and to the outside of the tent. That's helpful. For single wall you should have a bandana at the ready to wipe it down.

The fly of a double wall is fairly easily hung to try off. Not so easy for a single wall.

Overall, since I carry trekking poles, I'm inclined to favor a trekking pole supported tent. But I have a FS doublewall one too.

Check out TarpTent as well. They have several double wall versions that are trekking pole supported and lightweight. Excellent tents.

I do not for the life of me (other than being cheap) understand why folks go with SMD. I have never been a fan of their stuff however I have not tested it out either so who am I to voice my opinion.

I have tested out TT and Zpacks. As well as Hilleberg and Big Agnes - I found all 4 of these companies to have great product. I have owned and or tested 5 different Tarp Tents and all of them were unique but equally of high quality and to me the TT's just make sense. I jumped on the duplex bandwagon to save the weight, but I miss my TT SS2
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    I do not for the life of me (other than being cheap) understand why folks go with SMD. I have never been a fan of their stuff however I have not tested it out either so who am I to voice my opinion.
    I'm the same way. I just can't seem to find a reason to like it. A year or two ago I hiked in very wet weather with a thru hiker near Erwin. He had one and that tent never seemed to be dry inside. My Duplex was just fine. We camped at the same place for 2-3 nights and it always looked soggy. Could have been a poor seam sealing job though. I'm sure there are plenty of people out there that have one and love it with excellent results, but I'll never be one of them.
    I have tested out TT and Zpacks. As well as Hilleberg and Big Agnes - I found all 4 of these companies to have great product. I have owned and or tested 5 different Tarp Tents and all of them were unique but equally of high quality and to me the TT's just make sense. I jumped on the duplex bandwagon to save the weight, but I miss my TT SS2
    Same again. I use a Duplex mainly for the weight savings, but I love TarpTent products. There is just something about them that makes them my favorite overall tent company. You are absolutely correct about the high quality. Most likely my next tent will be another TT, probably the Scarp 2 for winter use.

I do not for the life of me (other than being cheap) understand why folks go with SMD.
    Well, if a person believes their product has the desired specs and will do the job sufficiently well at a lower price, it seems completely understandable to me. I suspect that's part of the appeal.

I have been very happy with my Sierra Designs Flashlight 2. While you do get some single wall condensation, it seems pretty minimal because it's so well ventilated. I like that in wet weather, I can sort of quickly throw/unroll and set it up with no rain getting inside.

Quote Originally Posted by soumodeler View Post
    I'm the same way. I just can't seem to find a reason to like it. A year or two ago I hiked in very wet weather with a thru hiker near Erwin. He had one and that tent never seemed to be dry inside. My Duplex was just fine. We camped at the same place for 2-3 nights and it always looked soggy. Could have been a poor seam sealing job though.
    Was the SMD tent silnylon or PU-coated polyester? SMD sells both types, and they differ in their price, specs, and H2O-management characteristics.

Anyway, DCF is not in the same price and specs category as either. Most would consider a Lexus to be higher quality vehicle than a Toyota - this is not surprising. Both get you from A to B and it doesn't mean that we should marvel that anyone would want to buy a Toyota over a Lexus.

Quote Originally Posted by bighammer View Post
    I have been very happy with my Sierra Designs Flashlight 2. While you do get some single wall condensation, it seems pretty minimal because it's so well ventilated. I like that in wet weather, I can sort of quickly throw/unroll and set it up with no rain getting inside.
    My SD tent is a Tensegrity 1 FL. It is mostly trekking-pole supported, but has one hoop pole at the foot end to keep the material off your feet. That may offend any trekking-pole-supported-tent purists (if there are any - ha ha), but it's a sensible design compromise IMO. Perhaps like yours, the design of mine prevents one from being too buttoned up - it practically forces ventilation to keep interior condensation at bay, via mesh windows at the head and foot end that are protected from rain by overhanging awnings. It should work well, but if the winds die down at night, and humidity goes way up (welcome to the southeast USA) there's not much you can do.

I do wish the single-wall roof of it could get a more taut pitch - it's a long stretch of fabric that is unsupported between the head and feet, and only tensioned by guylines. This may be less of an issue with tents that have the trekking poles positioned near the middle, where such tents have their peak height. So the swath of fabric that is under tension from guylines is about half the length of that of the Tensegrity, which has more of a wedge or doorstop shape.

I'm not sure if this would be something you'd consider, but I have a Lightheart Duo that I used once and I would consider selling for a reasonable price. It's large enough for 2 comfortably, it's just over 2 pounds and it's sort of a combo single wall/double. I don't have enough posts to put things up for sale yet, so check out the specs and reviews on it, and if you're interested at all, send me a PM.

Check out TarpTent as well. They have several double wall versions that are trekking pole supported and lightweight. Excellent tents.
    Exactly! I own the StratoSpire 1 with the solid inner tent. A true double wall tent. All mesh inner tents are NOT double wall tents. I use the SS 1 rain fly alone when insects aren’t a problem. I think it weighs about 21 ounces and provides a huge amount of protected space.
    Wayne

Images

Really? You've never tried any of their gear, but you'll trash it here online? Wow, dude.

I used a Six Moons Designs Starlite pack for years, it was my first really lite pack that was super comfortable. Great design.

The SMD Lunar Duo is a terrific 2-person tent, probably the largest interior volume of any 2-person out there (our ZPacks Triplex is larger but is technically a 3-person tent.) We used the Lunar Duo for 6+ years and put a lot of miles on it. Very well designed - it replaced two Tarptents that I didn't much like because of their design/configuration. The Lunar Duo weighs about 40 ounces, and is not that expensive compared to the currently popular tents out there. Two big doors, two big vestibules, *plenty* of interior room, easy setup, vertical side walls so it doesn't rain in when you open the doors. Etc.

To the OP -- I tried a Lunar Solo and didn't care for the way it had to be pitched. Yes, getting the stakes and the tension right was tricky. For a solo tent, right now I would buy a Tarptent Notch or one of the many Zpacks tents, depending on your budget and required features. The Notch checks all the boxes for me -- under 2 pounds, two big doors on the long sides, two vestibules, plenty of light, ventilation, and views, pitches with my trekking poles, and doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Good luck.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Same again. I use a Duplex mainly for the weight savings, but I love TarpTent products.
    Tarptent's Notch Li is a true double-wall tent with interchangeable interiors, and the ability to pitch either interior or fly standalone, that weighs less than 1oz more than a Zpacks Duplex (19.9oz vs 19oz).

Images

I use a tarp w/bugnet in the summer. I bought a Lightheart Duo at the end of winter last year, I've used it in all seasons but dead of winter this year as a test. This MLK weekend I'll test it in January. But, I do love it. Light, quick set up, uses my poles, lots of room!

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    Really? You've never tried any of their gear, but you'll trash it here online? Wow, dude.

To the OP -- I tried a Lunar Solo and didn't care for the way it had to be pitched. Yes, getting the stakes and the tension right was tricky. For a solo tent, right now I would buy a Tarptent Notch or one of the many Zpacks tents, depending on your budget and required features. The Notch checks all the boxes for me -- under 2 pounds, two big doors on the long sides, two vestibules, plenty of light, ventilation, and views, pitches with my trekking poles, and doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Good luck.

Yes, I will "trash" it. I have the right to do so if I please. Its a cheap looking product and I don't like the designs. That in itself is enough reason. But if you need more of a reason I can provide that as well.. about 3-4 years ago I walked a significant amount of miles with a buddy that had the solo. For starters he couldn't set the damn thing up by himself, and the tent stayed wet the entirety of my observations with it. I also don't like the fact that the poles have to be erected within the inside of the tent.

Besides, you yourself have tested several of their products yet you too say you would buy a notch....a TarpTent...Sounds like you did the testing for me and I can stick with my Tarptent and zpacks products.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Quote Originally Posted by Zalman View Post
    Tarptent's Notch Li is a true double-wall tent with interchangeable interiors, and the ability to pitch either interior or fly standalone, that weighs less than 1oz more than a Zpacks Duplex (19.9oz vs 19oz).
    I had the original Notch and then bought a Duplex. This was well before the Li came out. However, part of the change was more room in the 2 person Duplex vs the 1p Notch.

Journal Entries

Smd has been around long time, before zpacks was a thought.

The basic shelter design is same for most of their single pole shelters, and emminently wind worthy pitched backside to wind.

A few yrs ago wild oasis and lunar solo were mainstream popular UL shelters, before cuben . Smd has been slow to adopt, so has henry .
    My cuben deschutes, 8 oz. ....in 0.74 cuben....not .51. I use it because its the best ul shaped tarp out there, imo.
    Smd also has dealers and distrubution network. Overseas sales too.

IMG_20180818_193806295.jpg
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 12-11-2018 at 19:19.

I do not know and may have missed it but which is sturdier free or non free standing.

Images

Check out the LightHeart Gear line of tents - made in North Carolina. www.lightheartgear.com

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrel29 View Post
    I do not know and may have missed it but which is sturdier free or non free standing.
    I would look for reviews from testers that have actually used the equipment and have tested more brands then just just a few. Be careful of “fan boys” reviews. My fan boy choice is a mid shaped tarp . Great in the wind but so are other .

https://sectionhiker.com/category/ge...iews-shelters/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++