WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Gear Shakedown: March 3rd 2019 NOBO Start

Hello all,

Ahhh yes another shakedown post..... For those of you trying to help or for those of you who want to critique here is my current ligtherpack link. https://lighterpack.com/r/bv86pb I'm open to all comments.

The items that are stared are items I don't have yet. This is just a rough outline of gear I already own and currently plan on bringing or gear I plan on bringing but don't own. I am open to swapping out or dropping items if it helps me save on weight. I'm really worried about my starting weight as I feel it is on the heavier side. I know this weight will go down once the weather warms up and I can send half of my clothing home but I still need a ton more gear and I'm already pushing 25 lbs.

My next big purchase will be my pack. I'm looking at the ULA Ohm 2.0 as I have read it is very comfortable. The recommended max weight on their website is 30 lbs. With what I have now, I think I'll be over 30lbs once I start but will definitely shed that down once I figure out what to send home. Do you guys think it's ok to be over on the recommended weight by just a bit or should I keep looking for a different pack?

So basically I'm just looking for any advice! I've hiked quite a bit in the Adirondack high peaks but those were all day trips with a day pack on. I'm pretty new to backpacking so I'm a bit lost. I have done a few test nights walking around in my backyard and camping. So anyways... just looking for any advice. How does my gear look so far? What areas should I focus on right away? Do you see anything that I should drop immediately? Am I way over my head with my start date just under four months? Thanks!!!
    Last edited by cmarshall099; 12-11-2018 at 22:36.

++ New Posts ++