WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Bill Brien Shelter Water situation??

Anyone have a current situation report on availability of water at the "iffy" Bill Brien Shelter. Being the lazy cuss that I am, don't really want to hike the added 3.2 miles to West Mtn Shelter where water is less "iffy".

I plan, therefore I am Strategic's Avatar
    Images

Actually, water is even more "iffy" at West Mountain shelter, since there is not a spring there. You have to fill up at the stream before you climb West Mountain itself. There is a seasonal spring at William Brien shelter, which should be fine this time of year. It usually is okay in the late fall to early spring period, but tends to dry up when most of the thru-hikers come by in late spring and summer. The shelter itself is pretty neat, since it's built onto a huge rockface and is itself one of the "Sleepy Hollow rustic" shelters that Harriman SP is famous for. So is West Mountain, by the way, and it has the added appeal of a fantastic view out over the Hudson valley from the shelter itself. It's quite a thing to wake up to in the morning. William Brien doesn't have a view, being in a wooded col, but is otherwise fairly picturesque.
    Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.
    Sun Tzu, The Art of War.

Near Brien shelter, unless it has been super dry for a long time you can get water Bockey Swamp Brook (west on the Menomine-yellow trail). Something of a PITA to walk down the hill at the end of a long day, but the water is good... not that stankey tannin stuff sometimes found at other sources.

On the way to West Mtn shelter (nobo) the last source to dry up is Beechy Bottom creek.

Recently it has been very wet and all the seasonal streams are flowing.

Maybe things have changed at this shelter (Brien) but several years ago when I came through it ranked first on my list as the worst shelter on the entire AT.

The spring has never been running when I've stayed there. However, on a trip there a few years ago, I did find water a short distance down the Menomine Trail to the east- maybe about 15+ minutes from the shelter.

I agree that the Harriman shelters are not... pleasant in general. They all need pit privies or composting toilets; the human waste situation at all of them is absolutely out of control.

Quote Originally Posted by DSettahr View Post
    The spring has never been running when I've stayed there. However, on a trip there a few years ago, I did find water a short distance down the Menomine Trail to the east- maybe about 15+ minutes from the shelter.

I agree that the Harriman shelters are not... pleasant in general. They all need pit privies or composting toilets; the human waste situation at all of them is absolutely out of control.
    They all once had privies, and in some cases wells with pumps. Vandals put an end to those (as well as at least two shelters near roads) many years ago. Sad.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

++ New Posts ++