WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Water Bottle Holder Convenience

I am an older guy, so I just cannot reach the water bottle out of the side of the pack any more. Has anyone heard about Justin Anderson's equipment? I recently purchased some bottle holders of his and they seem to be the best I have ever had. Has anyone tried them and had any problems at all?

I have used DIY bottle holders. I just got some thin bungee cord (maybe a couple mm diameter) for a fa ric store. Tied two loops on each shoulder strap. I use Gatorade bottles that have grooves to loop the bungees trough so the bottled don't slide out.

I think that carrying water on the shoulder straps helps balance the load. The most efficient way to carry a load is to have it centered over you spine. Also when I have my bottles in the side pouches I can hear and feel the water slosh around as I walk which i feel represents wasted effort. But on the shoulder straps, the bottles ride much more smootly. The only downside is I have to take the bottles off when I take the pack off, but I don't take my pack off too many times once I get going. Also it does take two hands to put the bottles back (but can be pulled off with one hand).

Default Water Bottle Holder Convenience

The ones I have now can stay on even when the pack is off.

I'd be interested to hear more. Can you describe it more, or have a pic or link?
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

JustinsUL's shop on Etsy https://etsy.me/2CKSoty

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

In the meantime: have you tried loosening the strap on that side? Makes it a whole lot easier to reach back. I've noticed that this doesn't occur to everyone.

Aquaclips are great, and easy to use, too. I believe Zpacks just started carrying them. An aquaclip holds a Smartwater type bottle around its neck, and slides into strap or a D ring on your shoulder strap. If you go on a day hike, the clip will slide into your pocket. It’s easy and inexpensive, and you don’t have to do contortions to get at your water... just another option.

I have two from Zimmerbuilt that are awesome. I carry all my drinking water in the front and cooking water goes in the side pocket then. So happy I went with that setup.

I have an Aquaclip velcro'd on the right shoulder strap on each of my packs. I modify them slightly. I heat up the bottom of the clip and put a short 90 bend to make a stop and prevent the aqua clip from sliding out from the top of the velcro strap. I add elastic cord loop with a cord toggle to keep the water bottle tight to the strap.

I've been using this for setup for a couple of years and find it very easy to access while I'm walking.

Quote Originally Posted by Pringles View Post
    Aquaclips are great, and easy to use, too. I believe Zpacks just started carrying them. An aquaclip holds a Smartwater type bottle around its neck, and slides into strap or a D ring on your shoulder strap. If you go on a day hike, the clip will slide into your pocket. It’s easy and inexpensive, and you don’t have to do contortions to get at your water... just another option.
    They are great. Here is a link to their site.

https://www.aquaclip.com/
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

I have another take on this. Why not use a water bladder that goes in your pack? I use one and it is extremely convenient. I just grab the hose velcroed to my shoulder strap and drink. To fill it, I use a Sawyer filter and have configured the hose with a quick disconnect (available as a kit) to which the Sawyer attaches and then I fill the bladder from a Sawyer squeeze bag. My backpack is never opened to access the bladder. I carry the Sawyer and squeeze bag in the webbing on the back of my Zpack backpack. The amount of time to do a refill is not long at all.

After using this system for three years, I have a pretty good handle on when the bladder is getting low, but if you don't trust yourself to be able to tell when to get more water, bring a small bottle of water as a backup. I sometimes use a 20 ounce Gatorade bottle when I'm on a part of the trail with "iffy" water sources.
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

Quote Originally Posted by Hatchet_1697 View Post
    JustinsUL's shop on Etsy https://etsy.me/2CKSoty

Thanks for the link. Nice.
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

Here’s a similar item...

Handmade Water Bottle Holder, 210D HDPE Gridstop (210D Dyneema X Gridstop), Black, Dark Olive by AlpinePeakDesigns on Etsy https://etsy.me/2Ekeers

I carry two 1L smart water bottles on the sides of my Zpacks Arcblast and have the same issue. My solution was an adapter hose. Lightest functional one with good durability was the Blue Desert SmarTube Hydration System but it might not be available anymore. There are similar ones on Amazon that are a few grams heavier. I replaced the mouthpiece with my preferred one and it works great. Added a Katadyn adapter Kit and by loosening the cap I can fill directly from my BeFree filter without removing the bottles. Easy-peasy.

I have several hundred miles with this setup and no issues... except occasionally forgetting to loosen or retighten the cap when filling, but that’s self inflicted.

I can relate to the loss of agility. I have three approaches for a water bottle holder.

I have an old Camp Trail Adjustable II backpack similar to this one. Very old. The water bottle holder is position on the upper part of the pack so it is convenient to reach even with the pack on. I don't use this as often anymore although it weighs under 4 pounds and is very comfortable.
    Camp Trails Adjustable II.jpg

I made an external frame for my day pack and lower on the frame attached a bicycle water bottle cage to hold a water bottle. Also very convenient.
    IMG_0196 small.jpg
    I also use a bicycle water bottle cage to attach a water bottle to my walk behind lawn mower.

I have this one attached to my shoulder strap on yet another pack. On the other shoulder strap is a cell phone holder. This last one is becoming my 'go to' approach.
    Molle Water Bottle Holder.jpg

I've got Zimmerbilt's on my ULA Circuit-they work great!Also have a bottle holder that's a carabiner and rubber grommet like job for a belt clip.Amazon is full of bottle carrying devices............

Journal Entries

Nothing good comes from adding weight on your shoulder straps

I like my water bottles on the straps because it is a bit of a counter weight to what is on my back.No problems so far and it is convenient.Not everybody wants a water hose/bladder to contend with and no way I can reach into a side pocket to retrieve a bottle.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    I like my water bottles on the straps because it is a bit of a counter weight to what is on my back.No problems so far and it is convenient.Not everybody wants a water hose/bladder to contend with and no way I can reach into a side pocket to retrieve a bottle.
    Wt ends up on shoulders

I think the argument could be made that every ounce in the pack rests on the hips,shoulder,and feet.No?
    Where do you carry yours?

Journal Entries

Wt should be on hips as much as possible, for least discomfort.

I have no problem reaching bottles in side pockets. I know some do though. I often don't drink until stopped so taking off pack to get water isnt that big of a deal anyway. But my pack don't weigh that much so it's not trouble to get on and off.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 12-16-2018 at 21:28.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++