My permit request for a Grand Canyon hike in April was rejected so I'm looking at the Arizona Trail instead, with a focus on easy access from Tucson or Phoenix. My initial research leads me to think that doing passages 8-17 southbound might be a decent option. This is about 187 miles and would start in Superior (which has Greyhound service from Phoenix) via a six mile connector trail to the AZT called the "Legends of Superior Trail", or LOST trail. From there, heading southbound would put the higher elevation areas of passages 9 and 12 toward the end of the hike (not sure if snow is an issue that time of year). I'd end at the Gabe Zimmerman Trailhead within close proximity to Vail and I-10 presumably with easy access to Tucson (I10 hitch or Uber). I suppose it would also be equally simple logistically to do this in reverse (northbound).

In terms of resupply, I was thinking that (heading southbound), Kelvin, Oracle, and Summerhaven would be the easiest access possibilities, although I'm not sure if Kelvin has anything to offer or if a hitch to Kearny would be needed. Of course, water is another issue that I'm in the process of researching. My prior hiking experience includes the PCT throughout Southern California so I have a bit of desert hiking experience and have hauled a lot of water.

Other sections I have considered include the Mexican border to near Tucson, or hiking north of Superior into the Superstition Wilderness, but I'm not sure about logistics for getting back to Phoenix. I'd consider any section with a mileage range between 120 to 200. I have up to 12 days I can spend on-trail on this trip but anywhere from 7-12 days would work out fine.

I'm not going to be able to thru any medium or long distance trail for the foreseeable future so sectioning is, unfortunately, all I can hope for in 2019. In addition to this hike, I'm hoping to do a Pinhoti section this winter and my usual hike in the Sierra Nevada in late summer.

Any tips or suggestions would be great. Thanks.