WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Ohm-2, bout decided is the pack for me, looking for some recent reviews..

Long term and short term appreciated
    base wt for late fall, early spring is 14 +/-

i've watched utube, read so many reviews here and elsewhere, wanted to hear some fresh opinions

thanks guys
    sloan

Quote Originally Posted by cr115 View Post
    i've watched utube, read so many reviews here and elsewhere, wanted to hear some fresh opinions

thanks guys
    sloan
    Saw a few on the trail, the people carrying them looked happy enough. Those side pockets look nice and big. The hipbelt storage looks amazingly large. The hipbelt/shoulder straps look like a great system. The weight to price ratio looks fair.

I'd be concerned with the cinch top option collecting water, which means you need a dedicated rain cover, or pay extra for the roll top option. I could be wrong, I'm just looking at pictures. My biggest concern is the lack of back ventilation, which might just be something I personally find to value a great deal.

I went with an Osprey Exos, which cost less, had the ventilation, but weighed a bit more. It also lacks some features the Ohm has. It's always a trade off.

Quote Originally Posted by Puddlefish View Post
    Saw a few on the trail, the people carrying them looked happy enough. Those side pockets look nice and big. The hipbelt storage looks amazingly large. The hipbelt/shoulder straps look like a great system. The weight to price ratio looks fair.

I'd be concerned with the cinch top option collecting water, which means you need a dedicated rain cover, or pay extra for the roll top option. I could be wrong, I'm just looking at pictures. My biggest concern is the lack of back ventilation, which might just be something I personally find to value a great deal.

I went with an Osprey Exos, which cost less, had the ventilation, but weighed a bit more. It also lacks some features the Ohm has. It's always a trade off.
    cinch top works just fine, i cinch and roll it down there is plenty of material there to do it. great pack great company. not sure what the op is looking for every thing about the pack has been reviewed extensively online over and over again. Packs are subjective the only way to know is to try...

I've been using the Ohm 2.0 for four years now and I'm happy with it. My spring/fall base weight is around 13 pounds these days so I'm in the same ball park you are. The side pockets make accessing my water bottle very easy. The manufacturer is correct that the weight will carry great if your load is 25 pounds or less and that in a pinch you can carry slightly more than that. But don't do like I did during one trail segment where I set off with around 30 pounds -- with that weight the straps were really digging into my shoulders for the first couple days until I ate my way back down close to a 25 pound load again. So you need to be disciplined about not overloading this pack.
    Life Member: ATC, ALDHA, Superior Hiking Trail Association

Thanks for that
    Reinforces what I've read but i appreciate it

What map man said! If in doubt go Circuit! Your weight seems right for the Ohm. I prefer the Cinch over the Roll Top but again is a personal choice.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

Images

I have both the Ohm and the Circuit. I think you will be happy with the Ohm. Note, you will rarely carry baseweight. If you frequently carry 20+ miles of water or 5+ days of food, redo your math. I carried the circuit on the PCT this summer. I think switching from the Ohm back to the Circuit is one of the more common weight gaining switches (after switching from the Sawyer mini to the Squeeze.)

Just curious - any real comparisons/reviews of the J-straps vs S-straps? ULA’s videos aren’t really that informative and pretty much say “women prefer the S-straps, but so do some men.”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

s straps are more comfortable if you have a larger chest....otherwise no real diff wife loves them i dont notice any difference...

ohm 2.0 is, in my opinion, the best of all packs for AT thru-hike style backpacking (i used it on my 2016 thru). in other words, if you have a lightweight setup (14 lbs base-weight qualifies!), but not ultralight, and you want a VERY comfortable pack with comfy hip-belt and big pockets on belt and side of pack. it's pretty large, and can easily carry a week's food if necessary, and can go up to 30 lbs for that first day after resupply, but is best under 25 lbs, as someone already stated. i prefer the roll-top option for more reliable rain protection, no need for a pack cover if you use a trash-compactor bag liner (or something similar). GET IT!!

I just sold my OHM 2.0. Bought it new about a season or two ago. I found I reach for my smaller Zimmerbuilt more often.

Can't say I was unhappy with any aspect of it in particular. Sold for two reasons.. more liters than I need and heavier than I wanted to carry. My BW is usually 11 - 14 lbs and TPW is just at 19-21 lbs. I never felt it unable to handle any weight I loaded in even when humping extra water. The S straps were very comfortable (I ordered them because I am a bit of gym rat and wanted some extra room in the chest) but candidly I don't see a big difference when compared to the regular straps on my Zimmerbuilt ZB2. The hip belt pockets are huge and easy to get in, and pack side pockets are caverns.. but sometime we stuff them only because we can. The front mesh pocket can also swallow a ton of gear just be cognoscente of the order you pack or you'll be constantly digging in it to get what you need. The cinch top.. Never had a problem with it, though I prefer a roll top and do use a compactor bag for my need-to-stay-dry stuff. I never carry a pack cover. Hip belt is adjustable and was very comfortable and never had issue with the back panel.

Like I said, I wanted to shave some weight and volume.. moved to an Arc Blast. I omitted the hip belt pockets too.. I have a single pocket cuben fanny pack that I hope will work well since most of the stuff I keep in my hip belt pockets are items I want with me even after I put my pack down.. snacks, bug spray, head lamp, lip balm, sanitizer...

Journal Entries

In warm weather.....my ohm was soaked with sweat, with salt stains.
    Iike any frameless pack.
    Ymmv

Rodents love salt. Especially porcupines.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 01-27-2019 at 09:36.

thanks guys
    sloan

What size are you looking for? My friend has one for sale, 2018 model, black, roll top size small torso, I'm guessing the belt is a small. I saw the pack last week it's in excellent condition, purchased for one trip. I can get more details if you're interested.

I ordered a new one from Steve/ULA. Super informative guy/offered tons of info on
    the pack. Thanks for all the info tho folks
    -sloan

I ordered a new one from Steve/ULA. Super informative guy/offered tons of info on
    the pack. Thanks for all the info tho folks
    -sloan
    Thanks for supporting American workers. Great company to work with

thom

The ULA Packs can be washed. Take the stays and pad out, thrown in top load washing machine no agitator and add a cup of vinegar. Hang Dry. This removed the salt, smell and stains from mine after the AT Thru and is required before returning for repair at ULA. They patched holes, replaced a Pocket and some strapping, mended back mesh and returned it almost as new; after it had 2200 miles on it! Chris and ULA are awesome and stand by their American made Products!
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

I like the Circuit because I am almost always leaving the house with a total gross weight of 30 pounds more or less
    with food,water,fuel.One big plus the Circuit has for me is that the top can be closed two different ways.This frees up two side straps which can be pulled around the back to secure items and gives you some options.But if you are in the 25lb and under club the Ohm would be the better choice since it weighs a half pound less than the Circuit.

I have an Ohm 2 and a Circuit. The primary reason for the Circuit is if I need more space, maybe Winter, and if I need a canister. Otherwise, the Ohm get's most of the work. I love the pack! My full pack weight with food and water is typically about 25-27lbs and it carries that well. Keep in mind 30lbs is the max recommended weight. Everyone is different, though. If you've tried it and like it you'll be happy with it, IMO.

Keep in mind that the Circuit carries a BV500 vertically while it's big brother,The Catalyst,carries it horizontally.However,I took my S29 AllWhite Ursack and put the metal liner in it which will load in the Circuit horizontally and then serve as a stool if you have a good Z-rest sit pad to put on top of it.

I own a Catalyst (first generation.... circa the early 2000s) and the Ohm 2.0. I carry the Ohm more because my carry weight is typically a better match to the Ohm. In winter I find myself carrying the Catalyst more because I just carry more crap.

I like a cinch top. I've never had a problem keeping things dry in it and I hike weekly in the PNW (use a garbage bag, never used a pack cover). I just sent mine in for some repairs. The frame broke and the zipper on one of the hip belt pockets. They are fantastic about repairs which are done very affordably, so if you like it and get a lot of use from it, the value is really there on ULA products.

I don't use the foam back piece and carry it fairly stripped down. If I'm carrying more than 20-25lbs I'd reach for the Catalyst but for lower weights/volumes it will remain my go-to pack. I have an REI Flash too (slightly heavier, lower volume). It carries well but I prefer the ULA and the simplicity of its design.

As everyone has said the company is great. I wish all companies were as good as ULA. You won't regret doing business with them.

++ New Posts ++