WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

After finishing the thread I went from OP sounds like he is full of **** to OP sounds like an interesting human. And he may have already found someone here who is a candidate for his position. I have no idea where I will be in 2021 so can't offer any help but I look forward to seeing how this plays out. Keep us updated mate.

Adventure Trekker/Science Geek
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by WTX2WY View Post
    After finishing the thread I went from OP sounds like he is full of **** to OP sounds like an interesting human. And he may have already found someone here who is a candidate for his position. I have no idea where I will be in 2021 so can't offer any help but I look forward to seeing how this plays out. Keep us updated mate.
    Pays to be skeptical! And at first glance, oh hell yea, lots of it. Lol. But who knows? Humans aren't an authority on much of anything at all. All we can do is ask Mother Nature what's up. ...as for me, I've been applying for teachers pet position for a while now. Meh.

Thanks for the compliment. Yea, I don't plan on going anywhere; I'll be around... definitely share how things are shaping up.
    Edit:
    quess now is a good time. Had a few reach out to me. One in particular is digging deeper into the nuances of the whole thing. -so far, my front runner. Not to diminish his viability in the least, I still feel it wise to gain as many strong contenders as I can. After all, it is a long way off still; lots happens in a few years.
    Last edited by Rift Zone; 12-25-2018 at 09:27.
    "Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible." -Feynman

Sounds very interesting, but it's too far in the future for me to commit to anything. I can understand planning ahead, especially for something this big, but I'm more in the moment. No clue what I would be thinking or doing in '21.

Journal Entries
    Images

Rift Zones ideas for doing a thru-hike might be what a AT thru-hike will turn into in the future. So many folks with lots of money and little time to spend it, but still want to do traditional out door adventures.
    During my first thru attempt in 2000 I met a guy at Springer. He was the owner of several Wendy's restaurants and was going to do a thru hike and still manage the daily operations from the trail. He had installed competent managers who he would confer with almost daily along with a office staff that could handle everything.
    It became apparent to me that his hike was not the important project he was doing it was trying to micro manage a business from the AT. His daily goal was to get cell phone service so that he could "talk to his people." When he would get service he would spend quite a bit of time on the phone.

I shared a room with him at Goose Creak Cabins. He made frequent trips up a tall rise in order to get phone reception and than spend a long time talking with his managers. He was becoming quite disturbed trying to deal with everyday problems back home.
    I advised him that he would not have a successful thru hike if he continued to try to do what he was trying to do. The next morning, when I awoke, his gear was still in the room but he was gone. I went to the cabin headquarters and no one had seen him. I decided to hike up the rise, he would climb to get reception, and found him sitting on a rock, staring out into space. We talked and he told me about the incompetent people, working for him, that were not handling the job in his absence. We talked for a while, he finally throw his cell phone into the woods and decide to return home.

Before he left he assured me that he would" straighten out the mess" and return to the trail.
    I was able to see first hand how trying to live two life's, AT thru-hike, and a absent manager, could affect a thru-hike.
    Grampie-N->2001

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bighammer View Post
    Sounds very interesting, but it's too far in the future for me to commit to anything. I can understand planning ahead, especially for something this big, but I'm more in the moment. No clue what I would be thinking or doing in '21.
    Oh yea. I figure now just might be a good time to plant some seeds in the backs of people's minds, gain some contacts on that to touch base with every now and then... but ain't no one looking to get serious about plans like that till maybe mid/late '20.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grampie View Post
    Rift Zones ideas for doing a thru-hike might be what a AT thru-hike will turn into in the future. So many folks with lots of money and little time to spend it, but still want to do traditional out door adventures.
    During my first thru attempt in 2000 I met a guy at Springer...
    Oh no, I sure hope not. That would suck so bad. Then again, not sure corporate breed would make it anyway.

It's a little more complicated than finding competent staff. The whole project is some bull**** I'm pulling straight out of my ass, and specially that early on, if im cut off they stagnate. So I have to be on top of it.period. I do have that same demand: project comes first. Then again, I do have good people that can handle it; I just have to be there to choose where to put the chess pieces. So all and all, my uptime need not be all much. Just the same, the game I'm playing has a tremendous amount of variables, as you might imagine, so I need to stay on top of it, right now. All things considered, a pleasant hike as well as taking care of business is well within reason done this way. It's a lot, but not too much. =)

[*pulled my physics straight out of my ass too, so not sure if I would read too deeply into that.]
    Maybe one of you are curious about the project, it could happen. Sorry I'm not at liberty to share much of it with you. I can share this: the project and my physics come from the same place... potential that place could be I kick some serious ass when it comes to complex systems that interact non-linearly. Both physics and dysfunctional human societies exist as complex systems that interact non linearly.]
    Last edited by Rift Zone; 12-31-2018 at 22:43.
    "Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible." -Feynman

Images

Sorry to drag this up again but I felt this was a worthy update: I might not go for it. New Zealand governance in partnership with the Edmund Hillary Foundation has initiated the Edmund Hillary Fellowship, consisting of aspiring environmental and social leaders well as philanthropists. I'm gonna need minions, to be funny about it, and they're corralling them for me. It's too good to pass up; I'm gonna apply. If I get in, the hike is off =(. Otherwise, see ya on the trail!

Images

Does this mean saving humanity and grand unification theory of physics is off?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    Does this mean saving humanity and grand unification theory of physics is off?
    Eek! Oh hell no. I'm in love with Mother Nature. Humans have dont have anything near worthy enough to betray her over. I can pull it off, so its on. That NZ thing can help me get it all off the ground. They have a lot of infrastructure I could use, and they have quite a collection of people making real changes in the world now, some changes are modest perhaps, but real. I'm gonna draw the inspired in from everywhere, toward clear worthy direction. I'm gonna have people willing to back my play, lots of them. So I intend to basically incorporate the Fellowship guys into the project... lead them, for lack of a better term. Besides, it would immediately make the release international because I'd have orgs set up in both countries at publication.
    Incidentally, this came up recently and I think it gives some context to this whole scene... I think in 4D. Euler's Identity, Fermat's Last Theorem, Relativity and most other deep **** came from 4Ds. Operating within existing parameters will keep you there. The greatest innovations never pop out of an equation. They have to know it, they have to understand it; they saw that ****: how it works, interacts, evolves, relates, they saw it. In very pure and intimate ways, they saw it. They generated it. The world's best computers are still organic; we're quantum, of course we're gonna smoke chips for a good while longer. -they're what 3D's, you, the systems thinkers (better than the linear thinking 2Ds!), call genius.That's what it is, that's how it works; and I have a more pure and intimate relationship with mathematics/physics than any other living human does. Turns out dysfunctional human societies and physics both exist as complex systems that interact non linearly. I figured you out, and I'm gonna take over the world with it; as well as establish 21st century physics.
    Good thing I'm not all that evil. I sure am rough around the edges though. Mother Nature is my first and only true love. ...
    Last edited by Farr Away; 01-28-2019 at 19:11. Reason: TOS #4 and #5

Images

^never mind my harsh tone. I just wanted to share where my passion comes from, what drives me. The truth is the type of inspiration and support I imply can only come from something that is itself pure and intimate. Humanity is more or less already sick of the **** most entities are pulling. Not like I'm gonna get people to rally behind some flimsy bs. Of course, I'm gonna have a fair share of haters, that's just how that goes; but by and large, humanity is gonna eat this like candy, knowing damn well how nourishing it is for the soul of themselves and planet. I'm mother nature's little bitch, and I'm gonna make more of them.

Humanity is gonna understand themselves a lot better by the time the dust settles on this. ...almost certainly assuring our bull**** never happens again. The project is fundamentally psychological warfare, and I'm pretty sure the last time the planet felt something this strong was when the dinosaurs were wiped out. The work could spawn a division of psychology or two in some ways dealing with why we all love nature. We are being driven by things we don't have conscious awareness of; humanity will soon be consciously armed with it. I wouldn't get my hopes up on anything that stands against them.
    Last edited by Rift Zone; 01-21-2019 at 21:17.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
++ New Posts ++