WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Rift Zone View Post
    I've got a pretty good idea of what's gonna come out of that so I'll leave you guys with something to think about: You would probably have a similar reaction if I told you I was going to establish 21st century physics. It does seem simple enough... I mean, scientific theories are comprised of roughly two elements: observation, and human translation of that data. The theory is that more comprehensive and aligns with observation better is the more accurate theory.period! So if my understanding of the physical structure of the universe is more comprehensive and aligns with observation better than anyone else's, then perhaps establishing 21st century physics is well within my capacity. Funny thing about that: my "Nova" model/theory of the universe is more comprehensive and aligns with observation better than everything it challenges (Relativity, the Standard Model of QM, as well as Big Bang theory). -See for yourself: Facebook.com/aka.RiftZone. So then, if anyone wants to bitch at me about saving the world, you're more than welcome to do so; however, I suggest you wait till you see me on the trail in '21... you could have a change of heart by then.
    Ha! I nearly replied to the previous post, “If it involves advanced math or physics, I won’t understand it anyway, much less realize whether you can save the world or not”.

Adventure Trekker/Science Geek
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post
    Ha! I nearly replied to the previous post, “If it involves advanced math or physics, I won’t understand it anyway, much less realize whether you can save the world or not”.
    Lol. That's all good. We all have our own "things"; geek'n out on physics just happens to be mine. The "project" is just as complicated as my physics is, and it's a big picture kind of thing... showing pieces of it really won't give anyone full appreciation for what it really is. Its the kind of thing that will take a complete volume to adequately explain. The good news is it's gonna be a bit easier to follow than the physics thanks to it dealing mostly with the 'soft' sciences.
    Anyway, I'm just a geek who's in love with Mother Nature. All my projects involve her. What they amount to is for history to decide (though I do have some thoughts on that =).
    "Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible." -Feynman

You might be surprised who you run into... from Lone Wolf onto members of parliament. Plenty of philosophers, engineers, chemists, and on out on the trail.
    An atmospheric physicist runs the FKT website.
    Hell, Sir Roger Penrose was on Joe Rogan's podcast the other day so even physics isn't quite so far out of culture as one might think.

Many many many great thinkers have expressed that taking a stroll in the woods (or sitting under an apple tree) was where their key breakthroughs most often came to them.
    So combining a hike with this big project may be critical to its success.

Either way... bit of a ways off but if it's meant to work out your mama will put the trail in front of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    too bad. i am the most qualified for this job. but i drink busch beer, not that overpriced hoppy, bitter crap. i know the trail. good luck kid
    He said no cats.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    Many many many great thinkers have expressed that taking a stroll in the woods (or sitting under an apple tree) was where their key breakthroughs most often came to them.
    Aye, never know who you might find out there.

I'm autodidact. I got kicked out of second grade for studying spectroscopy. Academia never did catch up to me; I found it be rather worthless as far as my education was concerned. So I stand before you a few classes away from my associates degree. Rather, I took my science books into wilderness and learned physics from Mother Nature herself, with the guidance of Giants, of course. I know exactly what you're talking about; I built Nova and this "project" while immersed in nature. I suppose that means I'm seriously batshat crazy... either that or I know exactly what I'm talking about... guess we'll see about that.

Hope mama is kind!!! -Cuz I'm all about GA->Me '21, =)
    "Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible." -Feynman

Images

Looks like a good handful of possible path crossings at that.

Will have to look into the comfort of these rigs drivers seats. I am sure they are quite nice.

While on the subject of drivers comfort, you may have already considered bringing up to 5 or 6 changes of base layer clothing for the driver to wash. As well as several trail runners, fleece, what have you... Personally, I would switch out shoes almost every day.
    I'm sure you have thought of your own comfort and enjoyment at that level already...
    And an extra dedicated GPS for the rig, even if it has its own. Don't really need it, but it doesn't hurt.
    Will you be carrying GutHooks on your phone?

I will start messaging you...

Yes Lone Wolf, if the same, should know the area and locals better than I do I'm sure.
    Last edited by petedelisio; 12-20-2018 at 17:07.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by petedelisio View Post
    Looks like a good handful of possible path crossings at that.

Will have to look into the comfort of these rigs drivers seats. I am sure they are quite nice.

While on the subject of drivers comfort, you may have already considered bringing up to 5 or 6 changes of base layer clothing for the driver to wash. As well as several trail runners, fleece, what have you... Personally, I would switch out shoes almost every day.
    I'm sure you have thought of your own comfort and enjoyment at that level already...
    And an extra dedicated GPS for the rig, even if it has its own. Don't really need it, but it doesn't hurt.
    Will you be carrying GutHooks on your phone?

I will start messaging you...

Yes Lone Wolf, if the same, should know the area and locals better than I do I'm sure.
    I met Miss Janet and Lone Wolf in '01. Since then, I've spent most of my life in a tent, indulging various adventures, learning about this world directly from the source... as you can imagine, my comfort needs are few. I'll have enough in the rig to only require a laundry trip once a week.

Lone Wolf had a rather strong presence back then. I recall him being a valued resource. Hell, I still have a few pics of him in my archives. Looking forward to crossing his path again. ...and if memory serves, I do owe you a few beers. Definitely looking forward to breaking even on that. =)

GutHooks? New to me. What's up with it?

Cool! Looking forward to hearing from you!

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    Hell, Sir Roger Penrose was on Joe Rogan's podcast the other day so even physics isn't quite so far out of culture as one might think.
    You are more "my people" than Penrose is. We are familiar with a world stuffy academics simply do not know. I'd rather be on the trail with some hikers, a beer, and a doob than with a bunch of Nobel Laureates and post docs in a well appointed study who only think they know what they're talking about. In fact, you strike me as rather bright and thoughtful; hope I cross your path out there, think I would enjoy your company.
    Last edited by Rift Zone; 12-21-2018 at 20:25.

Aye, never know who you might find out there.
    I'm autodidact. I got kicked out of second grade for studying spectroscopy. Academia never did catch up to me; I found it be rather worthless as far as my education was concerned. So I stand before you a few classes away from my associates degree. Rather, I took my science books into wilderness and learned physics from Mother Nature herself, with the guidance of Giants, of course. I know exactly what you're talking about; I built Nova and this "project" while immersed in nature. I suppose that means I'm seriously batshat crazy... either that or I know exactly what I'm talking about... guess we'll see about that.
    Hope mama is kind!!! -Cuz I'm all about GA->Me '21, =)
    In all your self-study, did you explore the Dunning-Kruger effect?

I would advise against free alcohol, you may attract the wrong kind of people.
    Last edited by stephanD; 12-21-2018 at 11:04.

If you do it, please document on YouTube for inevitable disaster.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Time Zone View Post
    In all your self-study, did you explore the Dunning-Kruger effect?
    cute. How about you try me? Go ahead and challenge my physics. I defy you to. You better get CERN, JAXA, NASA, the ESA, and every other post doc and Nobel leaureate out there while you're at it. You're gonna need them!!! -not that any one of you will get anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by stephanD View Post
    I would advised against free alcohol, you may attract the wrong kind of people.
    hmm... yea, I'll keep a low profile on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by SWODaddy View Post
    If you do it, please document on YouTube for inevitable disaster.
    You can bite me too.

I must admit, Rift Zone, you aroused my curiosity a great deal. So I have two questions for you: (1) How are you going to publish your project? A professional journal? A book? Blog? A newspaper or a magazine? Is that something that is going to be in the mass media or confined to the scientific/technological circles? and (2) After publication, does it mean your project is completed? if so, why can't you just thru hike without the mobile infrastructure? Thank you for answering my questions.

Images

I must admit, Rift Zone, you aroused my curiosity a great deal. So I have two questions for you: (1) How are you going to publish your project? A professional journal? A book? Blog? A newspaper or a magazine? Is that something that is going to be in the mass media or confined to the scientific/technological circles? and (2) After publication, does it mean your project is completed? if so, why can't you just thru hike without the mobile infrastructure? Thank you for answering my questions.
    Cool. I like the sound of that.

It's a book, meant for the general public. Publishing amounts to completing the first phase of the project. By the time we publish (I have a co-author to assist me) we'll have a non-profit set up to accommodate what is certain to be a growing community inspired by the work. It's something like the book is foundation, and the non-profit(s) are application. So no, it's not a case of publish and I'm done; I'll be knee deep in an .org by the time I'm on the trail. Staying on top of that is why I need infrastructure on demand.

My pleasure!

Cool. I like the sound of that.

It's a book, meant for the general public. Publishing amounts to completing the first phase of the project. By the time we publish (I have a co-author to assist me) we'll have a non-profit set up to accommodate what is certain to be a growing community inspired by the work. It's something like the book is foundation, and the non-profit(s) are application. So no, it's not a case of publish and I'm done; I'll be knee deep in an .org by the time I'm on the trail. Staying on top of that is why I need infrastructure on demand.

My pleasure!
    Thank you for your answer. Sounds very interesting. I hope you find the right person for this adventure, it has to be somebody you can trust 100%. Good luck.

Images

Thank you for your answer. Sounds very interesting. I hope you find the right person for this adventure, it has to be somebody you can trust 100%. Good luck.
    My pleasure.

Thanks. I hope so too. Yea, absolutely; both my project and I will be counting on them for so much... not to mention having access to my resources and whatnot. They would almost have to be just as committed to the whole scene as I am or setting out in the first place might not happen. I am comforted by the notion the book might help with that, but finding a good fit is still gonna be a challenge. Guess we'll know how that played out by spring '21.

My pleasure.

Thanks. I hope so too. Yea, absolutely; both my project and I will be counting on them for so much... not to mention having access to my resources and whatnot. They would almost have to be just as committed to the whole scene as I am or setting out in the first place might not happen. I am comforted by the notion the book might help with that, but finding a good fit is still gonna be a challenge. Guess we'll know how that played out by spring '21.
    Perhaps offering some stake in the profits would help your assistant feel as invested as you are. I don't know what kind of book you're intending, but if it's to include any personal account of your experience on the trail, then they're likely to be a major character.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Zalman View Post
    Perhaps offering some stake in the profits would help your assistant feel as invested as you are. I don't know what kind of book you're intending, but if it's to include any personal account of your experience on the trail, then they're likely to be a major character.
    Hmm... That is something to consider. Sweetening the deal a bit more couldn't hurt the odds of finding ideal candidate(s). Won't be through the book though. The book will be written by the time I'm looking to hike, and it's not about hiking. I will definitely think about it.

Images

"The value of a person is not measured by the gifts they've been given, it's what they do with their gifts that counts. It's what you leave in your wake. If where you've been had been graced by your presence because you left nothing but beauty, wisdom, joy, intrigue, and empowerment behind you, then you have a beautiful soul (loosely defined by this paragraph) and your value as a person is uncontested. Leave ignorance, fear, pain, misery, or diminished beings then you are reprehensible and beneath the vast majority of humanity."

Anyway, sorry to drag this up again, but my join date is pretty meaningless; I'm effectively new to this community, and I figured sharing a bit about me was in order, specially given the nature of this thread. So, um, I rather talk about something else for one. Im not that interesting. Lets geek out on some science or philosophy, or gear (like i once sewn together my own backpack, and my custom Ti wood burning stove kicks some serious ass!), or something deep!!! Someone with more on their mind than what's found on tv is what I'm hoping for. Amy Mainzer, Hannah Fry, and Kohl Furey would be my top picks (rawr), but I think they're busy. lol (don't get me wrong, I'm not looking for female company here. It ain't like that. Besides, I think I understand where "eccentric" comes from, and I'm not likely to be compatible with anyone.) Anyway, I'm a bit rough around the edges at times. I tend not to take much ****, from anyone, about anything. The good news is my heart just might be in the right place as I try to be as fair as I can in all situations. after all, I did author, firmly believe in, and adhere to that quote above, with the goal of being a worthy person. We are all peers here, equals, until you demonstrate otherwise. Plus I'm a scientist who's invested in being accurate, not necessarily "right"; so I tend to change my stance real quick if I am found to be in the wrong on something.

There's no question the nature of this trip is gonna ask a lot of the crew... And I'm not used to being taken care of, at all, so it will probably weird for both of us. All I can say about that is I'm gonna be very grateful for all the crew does for me, even if I am sporting it. In spite of all the demands, I'm really not a demanding person.
    Last edited by Rift Zone; 12-24-2018 at 11:16.

Images

Yay! It's xmas! Well, for me at least, old family tradition. We make a big deal out of today, feast, presents around sunset... then wake to mimosas on christmas and be worthless to the world all day. ...graze on leftovers. throw a football. yee-haw!

hmm.... what else is ultimately gonna matter here? My taste in music is all over the place. I will blast Double Concerto in D minor for Two Violins, and Cannon in D major. Then I will **** with some 2Pac. The answer to that highschool question about being trapped on a desert island or spaceship with only like the works of 7 musicians would be: Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Erykah Badu, OutKast, Bob Marley, Neil Young, and The London Philharmonic... so you can make of that as you will.

I went to a "meet-up" organized on INTJforum.com (pile of geeks) once. This is what they had to say about me:

"The posture and composure of a yogini with a youthful vibrance and presence..."

"This guy made me rethink my whole idea of introverts. Full of energy and confidence, very sociable."

so there you have it... the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth: I'm pretty chill, really easy to get along with. I'm just a geek who's madly in love with mother nature. ...so long as nothing makes me break it, not much I stand against lasts long; still, I'm having way too much fun in this life to trip on the little things. The most people see out of me is some chill hippy **** chasing rainbows and butterflies, talking some bull**** about stars or something. I only take myself seriously when I need to.

Oh, i hinted hoping for a crew that's kinda deep, not that you need to to keep me entertained. I can take care of myself just fine. But still, talking more than shop would be cool.

Btw, "smoked salmon, berry, brie, avocado, spinach salad" is my recipe. I also lose the spinach and throw that mess on some french bread (rasberries!). yum. -made with salmon I smoke myself (my salmon rocks, everyone seems to think so). I'll be making us some salmon 'ticos' at some point. I kinda like joining forces in the kitchen to see what comes of it, so my crew might catch me jumping in to assist at times.

Consider this too: I might be going more places than Katahdin... Cruising with could have its benefits. Suffice it say I greatly value people I can trust.
    Last edited by Rift Zone; 12-24-2018 at 15:16.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryM View Post
    You need a self driving car. Load the trunk with back up gear and non-spoilable food. Just text it where your need it to pick you up and you are gold.
    Can you wait a few more years?
    Given that he isn't even doing this until 2021 that may be an option/reality.

If he was going in 2019 I would be in a position where it may be a good fit.

Since he is not hiking for another 3 years he will likely find someone who is a perfect fit.

Probably not on this forum, but somewhere someone will hear about this and it will be just right.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++