WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Great Smoky Mountains Thru Hiker Permit

When you go online to get the permit, what are the acceptable methods of payment? Also, are you able to print the permit immediately or is there a waiting period?

You can go online and do a trial for payment method but if it helps I have always used a visa debit card. Probably take credit cards and possibly check number. Once you pay for your permit you will recieve an email with your permit as well as im pretty sure the permit pops up after the payment screen. Either way, your permit is ready to print as soon as you pay
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Credit or debit card is the easiest, otherwise you got to give them your checking account # and routing info. Not sure if they take paypal or not. I think they give an email link to print out the form, so I guess you can do it anytime.

Lots of hikers wait until they get to the NOC and do it there. They will print the permit for you. That way you know your probably actually going to use the permit. What I did was buy and print the permit (on a laser printer so the ink wouldn't run if it got wet) just before I left for Springer. But that means you need to get to the park from Springer in 22 days or less (the permit is good for 30 days and it is good for 8 days once you enter the park). It's 168 miles to Fontana dam, so you'd have to average all of 7.6 miles a day to get there in time.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Default Great Smoky Mountains Thru Hiker Permit

On the site it says the permit is good for 30 days plus the eight days to get through so another words that says it's good for 38 days now. I don't know if that just changed or not.

Quote Originally Posted by methodman View Post
    On the site it says the permit is good for 30 days plus the eight days to get through so another words that says it's good for 38 days now. I don't know if that just changed or not.
    I probably just didn't remember that detail. If you got 30 days to make it to the park, that's only 5.6 miles a day you have to do. I'm pretty sure you can also get the permit at the Ranger station at Amicalola, but you'd better check me on that.

I called them. She said they don't do it anymore. NOC said they don't copy it anymore either, but I have read that hikers in the past have had it copied there?
    Last edited by methodman; 12-23-2018 at 12:44.

Images

With the Federal government Shut down now you probably can not reach anyone by phone at the reservation office but you can check the website for backcountry reservations. Some of you questions may be answered there.

Just google gsmnp and follow links to backcountry reservations.

It appears that no new permits are being issued at the moment but existing permits are honored. Probably not an issue now. Surely things will be settled before long.

As it is there is even a stand down order for volunteer maintainers to not work on the trail due to lack of emergency services.

+1 On what Slo-go'en said about printing permit. Inkjet ink is water based and will run if wet. Use a laser printer.

Thanks. The government should be back before I need them in March.

I began at amicalola on March 20 and got my permit to begin on April 1. I think I started the smokies April 2 and was through them by the 5th. There's plenty of wiggle room in the 38 days to make it to/through the smokies. Never got asked for the permit, though.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Credit/Debit card or Checking Account are forms of payment.

I believe that they email a link to your permit (printable PDF), but regardless of any delay there might be getting an email, you can get a copy of your permit immediately after you purchase your permit using the Find My Transaction page. You get two order numbers, one for the permit and one for the payment. The order number for the permit is what you use on the transaction page.

Unofficially, a copy of your PDF permit on your smart device has been accept by the rangers, but they WANT you to print them out (that way you always have it available even if your electronic device isn't working).

Nothing about the timing of the permit has changed (from when they went to a paid permit system). Once you pay for your permit, you have up-to 30 days to enter the park. Once you enter the park, you have 8 days to complete the park.

The permit isn't valid for 38 days, it's valid for UP TO 38 days (30 days to enter the park plus 8 days to leave it). Technically, your permit would no longer be valid if you tried to enter the park on day 31. Would a park ranger deny you entry to the park if you tried to enter on day 31? Don't know. But if you are a strong enough hiker that you could still get thru the park before the end of the 38th day, I doubt you'll be having problems getting into the park before the 30 days are up (except for unexpected emergencies, in which case a polite explanation might get a ranger to overlook your tardiness).
    Last edited by HooKooDooKu; 12-23-2018 at 23:22.

Journal Entries

I just waited until I got to Franklin to get mine. The outfitter there, I believe they're called Outdoor 76, will let you use their computer and printer to obtain your permit. That way you don't have to worry about getting to the Smokies in time (30 days)...you'll be pretty close at that point in your hike, at most, only a week away from GSMNP. I used my debit card.

Do you need to print the permit? Couldn’t you just save it on your phone and show it when required?

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tbrian View Post
    Do you need to print the permit? Couldn’t you just save it on your phone and show it when required?
    A few posts above yours:
    Unofficially, a copy of your PDF permit on your smart device has been accept by the rangers, but they WANT you to print them out (that way you always have it available even if your electronic device isn't working).

You should print it because you are supposed to tear off the bottom section and put it in the box on entry to the park, presumably so they have an idea who is in the park in case of emergency or similar. When I got there last year it was very difficult to fit new forms into the box as they hadn't emptied it in so long, but there you are. The form from last year says:
    "Your permit is not valid until you complete the following steps:
    1. When you reach Great Smoky Mountains National Park, please write in your entry date on both the top and bottom copies of this permit.
    2. Tear off the bottom copy of this permit and deposit it in the AT Thru Hiker Permit box at either Fontana (northbound hikers) or Davenport Gap (southbound hikers).
    3. You must carry the top copy of this permit with you at all times while in Great Smoky Mountains National Park. This permit is only valid on the AT in the park."

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cep View Post
    You should print it because you are supposed to tear off the bottom section and put it in the box on entry to the park, presumably so they have an idea who is in the park in case of emergency or similar. ...
    Another reason is that your thru hiker permit is not a set date, you have 30 days from obtaining the permit to set the start date, after which you have 7 days to get thru the park on that permit. You set the first date when you put it into the box, which a person is suppose to enter that date of they entry.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by cep View Post
    You should print it because you are supposed to tear off the bottom section and put it in the box on entry to the park...
    Thanks for pointing out the need to tear off the bottom portion upon entering the park... I didn't think about that point as I've never done a Thru hiker permit (just weekend trips).

In 2016,NOC had a computer and printer in the corner of the outfitter store that was free to use ,was very easy. No idea if it is still there.

Default Great Smoky Mountains Thru Hiker Permit

I called them and whoever I spoke with said that they don't do it anymore. just do it at home just before you leave. yeah 30 days to get to the Smoky mountains. you also have an additional 8 days to get through the park. that should be enough

Quote Originally Posted by methodman View Post
    I called them and whoever I spoke with said that they don't do it anymore. just do it at home just before you leave. yeah 30 days to get to the Smoky mountains. you also have an additional 8 days to get through the park. that should be enough
    I guess when it got to the point they were printing a 1000 permits in a month, it got out of hand. Although if they charged a modest $5 fee for the service, it could have made money...

We were checked for our permit when we came through in '14 just after the initiation by a ridge runner just above Shuckstack, what are the fines if caught without it?
    "every day's a holiday, every meal a feast"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++