WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Cougar? Singles as rare as a fatal lightning strike

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Speakeasy TN View Post
    I don't get the connection between your thread title and the linked news article.

The news article basically says the Eastern Cougar has been officially declared extinct and therefore removed from the endangered species list.

Otherwise, we've recently has discussions here in WB about cougar sightings in the east.
    The summary of those discussion could simply be stated that a few confirmed cougar sightings have been made. But these sightings have been individual western mountain lions that have managed to migrate east (the above new story references a cougar that trekked over 2,000 miles).

I thought this thread was going to be about on-trail romance.

Images

I thought this thread was going to be about on-trail romance.

it can still be since its not in Straight Forward......

the denial of the existence of them on the east coast had me curious for a while. I heard a good theory while on the trail from someone who works with panthers down in FL...

pretty much what she was saying is, if they admitted that they exist then they would have to spend all sorts of $$ protecting and researching them like they do with the panthers, being an endangered species. By simply claiming "they don't exist on the east coast" they don't have to spend anything because 'they don't exist'....
    NoDoz
    nobo 2018 March 10th - October 19th
    -
    I'm just one too many mornings and 1,000 miles behind

Quote Originally Posted by LazyLightning View Post
    the denial of the existence of them on the east coast had me curious for a while. I heard a good theory while on the trail from someone who works with panthers down in FL...

pretty much what she was saying is, if they admitted that they exist then they would have to spend all sorts of $$ protecting and researching them like they do with the panthers, being an endangered species. By simply claiming "they don't exist on the east coast" they don't have to spend anything because 'they don't exist'....
    Not sure who the "they" group is, however there has been an on-going effort up and down the Appalachian Mountains to investigate sightings and search for signs of cougar. This effort includes science and investigation disciplines that have led to the resulting extinction ruling. Most all claims of cougar sightings are immediately followed up by local Fish and Game officials (sometimes LE personnel) and further follow up is provided by volunteers who use a variety of methods to detect these creatures. The path of a Western Cougar that was eventually killed crossing a road in southern CT was documented by various evidence (hair, hunting spoils, scat, etc) is a good example of this effort.

Given the interest and on-going efforts in this topic, I doubt anyone with serious interest or factual knowledge would advocate the point attributed to this woman.

Same thing with bigfoot I bet, denial is just a cost savings strategy.

From a taxpayer perspective that sounds like a great approach.
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

I guess I don't know if he was Eastern or Western(or he or she,for that matter),but I do know my son and I saw a Mountain Lion in SNP in 2016. Daylight,from 20 feet away. We reported to a Ranger at the next wayside,who took my cell phone number and said their biologist would call me. Never did. That one was not extinct.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slow Trek View Post
    I guess I don't know if he was Eastern or Western(or he or she,for that matter),but I do know my son and I saw a Mountain Lion in SNP in 2016. Daylight,from 20 feet away. We reported to a Ranger at the next wayside,who took my cell phone number and said their biologist would call me. Never did. That one was not extinct.
    While MOST reported sightings of cougars in the east turn out to be something else... but as I mentioned, there have been a few confirmed sightings of cougars. But every indication is that these confirmed sightings are of western cougars that have managed to migrate to the east, NOT an eastern cougar that has managed to avoid extinction.

I again have no idea if the animal was Eastern or Western,but it WAS a mountain lion. Or Cougar,if you prefer. Had the Biologist bothered to call me for the sighting location,he might have been able to verify that.

I don't mind the occasional single Cougar.

Nor do I. Prefer the version with only two legs....

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    Not sure who the "they" group is, however there has been an on-going effort up and down the Appalachian Mountains to investigate sightings and search for signs of cougar. This effort includes science and investigation disciplines that have led to the resulting extinction ruling. Most all claims of cougar sightings are immediately followed up by local Fish and Game officials (sometimes LE personnel) and further follow up is provided by volunteers who use a variety of methods to detect these creatures. The path of a Western Cougar that was eventually killed crossing a road in southern CT was documented by various evidence (hair, hunting spoils, scat, etc) is a good example of this effort.

Given the interest and on-going efforts in this topic, I doubt anyone with serious interest or factual knowledge would advocate the point attributed to this woman.

That's sometimes the problem in documentation, getting someone qualified enough in authority to confirm sightings in a timely manner, to get them to have a serious interest rather than taking the status quo route. Same thing happens with the Loch ness Monster, alien bases on the dark side of the Moon, and Big Foot.

Texas has confirmed cougar sightings, but they are out west, Big Bend, and down in the coastal planes near Mexico. We live in the Dallas FW area, but we are very close to a large lake. With lots of deer, possums, armadillos, snakes, fox, turkey, COYOTES and bobcats. We are also online with the "Next Door" neighborhood app. So this past summer, someone posted they were 100 percent positive they saw a COUGAR down at the lake by their house. There were 20 replies that it probably wasn't, it could easily be a large male bobcat, a coyote with mange, someone even posted a TX Parks report on where cougars ARE CONFIRMED in the state (none within about 200 miles of where we are). Nope, they were not having it!!! 100 percent sure there is a cougar!!!
    Until their neighbor posted the surveillance camera photo's from their deck next door to the "sighting". Yep, there were their canoe, kayaks....and a large male bobcat.
    We never heard from "100 percent sure" again.

BUT....considering that 200 miles to our west, there are confirmed....one COULD take a long hike and get around here.....But as also was pointed out....they would not stay! We are a huge mass of humanity and a large cat needs a LOT of range to hunt in.
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

So I guess the Panther lady's theory didn't sound as good to everyone else lol

There is one particular reason why I believe there is some kind of denial with mountain lions, maybe not eastern ones avoiding extinction but denial of sightings and them being around. My good friend that lives in the South Mt./Grandfather Mt. vicinity was telling me about a sighting on his mountain bike where he was coming fast downhill and thinks he startled one, ran out in front of him and cut right back in the woods. He was very confident in knowing what a mountain lion looks like and saw the face clearly before confirming the long tail from behind. The sighting itself isn't what got me....

At the bottom of whatever hill he was coming down he ran into somebody that worked for the state of NC forest or environmental services and had a long conversation with him, telling him about what he just saw. To his surprise, he not only believed my buddy but started telling him how he has seen tracts himself and "knows their out here". At the end of their long talk the guy turned to my buddy and said "by the way, this is the end of our conversation, there is nothing you or me could do or say because the state of NC flat out will not acknowledge that they exist"

My friends theory (here's another theory for you) was that if there are mountain lions around they may be more attracted to that area because they have that caged female cougar in the Grandfather Mt. little zoo thing they have. This happened close to there so he was thinking maybe the smell from the female could be attracting them more to that area then elsewhere.

I heard countless stories of mountain lion sightings (not sightings from this year) from people along my thru hike but this is the one that really had me thinking about it.
    NoDoz
    nobo 2018 March 10th - October 19th
    -
    I'm just one too many mornings and 1,000 miles behind

........ To his surprise, he not only believed my buddy but started telling him how he has seen tracts himself and "knows their out here". At the end of their long talk the guy turned to my buddy and said "by the way, this is the end of our conversation, there is nothing you or me could do or say because the state of NC flat out will not acknowledge that they exist"...........
    It would be a wildlife biologists dream to be able to prove a population of eastern cougars exists. Ever notice how these conspiracy stories are always second hand and start with "A friend of mine told me that someone told him..........."
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Eastern cougar existence/sightings = Tasmanian Tiger existence/sightings?

++ New Posts ++