WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Rain/Wind mitts

Default Rain/Wind mitts

I ordered some goretex over mitts designed for motorcyclists. They were $10 with shipping. Weight wasn't listed but I'll check them on the scale when they arrive. I'm gonna put them to use in Colorado in January and I'm sure plenty of wet hikes here in NC. If they are useful, I'll let y'all know.
    You can walk in another person's shoes, but only with your feet

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    Do you still have them, or at least what's left after thirty years?
    I do indeed have them. They are in 100% wearable condition. I weighed them for the first time yesterday before I wrote my description.
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Colter View Post
    I've got MLD rain mitts. I'm not impressed with the design. They've got some strange, non-ergonomic curve to them and they fit loose and sloppy.

I'm surprised there isn't a cottage manufacturer improving on the design.
    I'm yet to see or demo any UL WP shell mitts that aren't a little loose and sloppy. This is why for backpacking and hiking I prefer WP or WR shell gloves when not contending with deep cold. Fit comfort depends on how one holds their hands tho wearing mitts and the qualities of the liner, if they are added. These are micro details but some see them as important.

Some mitt designs have the thumb positioned sticking straight out to the side. It makes manufacturing easier. But that's not how people hold their hands when hiking. We're not kindergarteners making a traced hand drawing of a turkey using our hand flat on a surface. That's an unnatural position when hiking and backpacking. Hikers and backpackers tend towards a loosely clenched finger/hand - more closed hand position - with hands and wrist slightly curved downward in the vertical plane with palm positions either facing down or somewhere between facing down and to the side. MLD's slight curved design facilitates a more naturally hand held design aiding comfort especially for those who use trekking poles. When hands are held in a vertical plane gravity influences how they are held. Hands curve a tiny bit with the wrists slightly bent vertically. I assume Ron was noting these things in the MLD eVent design. I find the MLD eVent mitt economically curved design most comfortable when I'm using trekking poles or when I have my hands in pockets as they assume that vertically curved wrist and hand position.

A lot of mitt designs are IMHO nothing more than a slight improvement in dexterity and comfort than wearing socks on my hands. What I've started to do, since very often I'm carrying two different types of socks, is wear WP socks or the second pr on my hands for pseudo mitts.

The OR Shuck, OR Versaliner, MLD eVent, ZP Vertices, and REI GTX Minimalist are all UL MINIMALISTS ULTRALIGHT pieces. If you opt for any of these the buyer should be aware what that often means i.e; less durability, more TLC needed, sometimes pricier materials, etc That was probably one of AS's considerations by using and reviewing Showa gloves.

"I'm surprised there isn't a cottage manufacturer improving on the design." MLD is a cottage manufacturer. IMHO that's what Ron did. He improved on previous mitt designs. We'll likely see improvements evolving beyond that.

When opting for a heavy colder weather more durable technical WP/WR mitt or glove it's not unusual for the price to triple compared to any of these UL minimalist offerings. I assume that was on Andrews's mind considering the Showas.

I didn't suggest that MLD wasn't a cottage manufacturer, I meant probably only a cottage manufacturer would tackle an improvement of a niche product.

Slightly loose is good. Sloppy loose is bad. Maybe the newer ones aren't so loose.

These mitts might be ergonomic for other people. They certainly aren't for me. If I held my hiking poles shoulder high, the curve might make sense.

This picture illustrates nicely why I dislike the curve: http://www.trailblaze-trekking.com/p...ain-mitts.html

If seam sealing, I suggest a thin enough solution so that it can penetrate the stitching rather than paint it on top of them. The painted bit tends to peel off . Could be a good idea for some designs to do both sides. I did with my first generation Gore Tex mitts (yes they are old now...)

I like my event Borah gear mits. Fits fleece gloves or my heavyweight black diamond softshell gloves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Default Rain/Wind mitts

https://www.motardinn.com/motorcycle-equipment/garibaldi-rain-overgloves-black/1317252/p

These came today. The pair weigh 75 grams. $10 shipped from Netherlands. They have 2 elastic cuffs. one at the wrist, another about 4 inches up the forearm. I wear Large gloves and the fit is pretty true. At first feel, I doubt they are breathable but I'm gonna try them out next week on some day hikes in Vail.

Motortard?

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Motortard?
    Yeah, there's something lost in translation there.

Quote Originally Posted by OwenM View Post
    I've had a pair for years, and never used them. Been having poor luck with the weather lately, and got them out today. Probably bring them to work tomorrow night and do the seam sealing.
    So I sealed the seams a couple weeks ago, but haven't used them in the rain, yet.
    They sure are nice when collecting water in sub-freezing temps, though. I normally do that barehanded, to keep from getting my gloves wet.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo L. View Post
    What about elbow-length veterinary gloves?
    There are some stronger ones which could be used for rain mitts.
    Might provide a solution for poncho-users too.
    Is this what you talking about? https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...-sleeves-clear

They work great for this : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bciVWz6WskQ

Not so much for hiking.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Strange video, but I'm basically used to such things, having grown up on a (tiny) farm.

Once it happened that I broke my arm right before leaving for a desert/beach combo holiday.
    Went to the local veterinary who gave me several pairs of such long-sleeve gloves, which worked really great to pull over the plaster and allowed me to go swimming.

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Hmmm, got a photo of them?
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

You mean, applied? No, sorry.

Tried the MLD mitts, and they just weren't for me. It just felt like a grocery bag or something, making holding a trekking pole about the only thing I could do with them and even that felt awkward. I ended up using OR Versaliners last year on the CDT. 2.8oz for essential two pairs of gloves, one layer worn over the other (or independently) Love 'em!
    Last edited by seekinglost; 01-19-2019 at 18:37.

Quote Originally Posted by seekinglost View Post
    Tried the MLD mitts, and they just weren't for me. It just felt like a grocery bag or something, making holding a trekking pole about the only thing I could do with them and even that felt awkward. I ended up using OR Versaliners last year on the CDT. 2.8oz for essential two pairs of gloves, one layer worn over the other (or independently) Love 'em!
    You can get lighter with as equal warmth if you swap out the inner. I still have the inner never worn. Anyone need some XL Versaliner liners? They are yours if you're in financial hardship. I simply ask you pay for shipping. Christmas through Jan.

Been using z-pack rain mitts now...work great & worth the price.
    .com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++