WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Mid-career/mid-life thru-hiking and the family

My wife and I attempted a thru-hike in 2011, had to stop after 800 miles due to injury. I've been wanting to get back out there to try again ever since (my wife not so much), but I'm in my late 30's, we now have 2 kids and I'm in the middle of a career. I've just proceeded as if post-kids or post-retirement would be the next opportunity I'd have, but my wife shocked me a few months ago and suggested I see if I can make it happen in the next few years. Her dad, who's wanted to thru-hike his whole life, recently had to concede that he was just too old and has too many health issues to do it, and I think that had an impact on my wife.

I was wondering what other mid-career family men in their late 30's or 40's have done a thru-hike and what the experience was like for them. While my wife made the suggestion and is supportive, I wonder what it will be like when I say my goodbyes, walk down the trail and out of sight, and leave her and my 2 children (probably still) under the age of 10 alone for 5-ish months. They would come out and hike small sections with me and hang out in towns, but still, we'd be apart. AWOL mentions in his book a few times how he felt it was irresponsible or selfish of him, and I kinda feel the same way. What effects did your thru-hike have on you and your family? Do you or your family regret/resent your time on the AT, or was it more of a bonding experience? I have a very happy family, and I want to keep it that way. I like to think I'd come back from it a better husband and father, but I wonder how it all balances out.

This would come with an approved leave of absence from work (already checked) and we would make sure all our finances are in order and covered while I'd be gone.
    Last edited by RyanK817; 12-30-2018 at 12:59.

++ New Posts ++