WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Poll: What's your personality type?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Adventure Trekker/Science Geek
    Images

:banana WB and MBTI... what's your personality type?

Out of sheer random curiosity, I find myself wondering if personality type impacts affinity for hiking/being in the outdoors. So I ask if you would help shed some light on that for me by sharing what your personality type is, as gauged by MBTI... if you know your type, please share! Thanks!
    (If borderline on something feel free to choose one that seems to suit you most often.)
    And Happy New Year to you all!
    Last edited by Rift Zone; 12-31-2018 at 10:30.
    "Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible." -Feynman

Journal Entries

ISTJ

Im happy being alone in wilderness
    In fact I prefer it most of time.

Boggles my wifes mind, shes opposite.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    ISTJ

Im happy being alone in wilderness
    In fact I prefer it most of time.
    INTJ here. Yea, I know that one well. Being in wilderness is fulfilling for me too.
    "Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible." -Feynman

None of the above.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

INTJ

I enjoy the peace, nature, exploring, self-reliance, exercise, and challenges of hiking. Nothing beats it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I N T J

I would say I am in good company, but I prefer to NOT be in anyone’s company.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    None of the above.
    Yeah...none of them are exactly right for me. (Actually never heard of these labels before, had to look them up)

I am very different in my career than in my daily life but my natural personality is INF with a mix of both J and P. My coworkers would say ESTJ.
    Last edited by Traffic Jam; 12-31-2018 at 11:43.

Images

Depends upon my mood when I take the assessment/test. Generally INTJ or INTP. But never exceptionally strong in any one area. And I've gotten other results as well, usually E rather than I. I tend to be very in the middle of the "zones" when plotted on a circle graph. I would think most people have some degree of fluidity as mood, life events, environment, etc change the way we react to inputs. And, of course, knowing what your general tendencies are can make you more aware of the way you perceive the world - and then how you behave/respond - if you use that big brain you were blessed with. I's can try to be more E's when it would be beneficial, J's more P's when dealing with certain issues, etc. Gnothi seauton --- know thyself.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post
    Yeah...none of them are exactly right for me. (Actually never heard of these labels before, had to look them up)

I am very different in my career than in my daily life but my natural personality is INF with a mix of both J and P. My coworkers would say ESTJ.
    There are 16 "personality types" (according to MBTI), while there are like 7+ billion different types of people. So mbti certainly has limited scope and applicability. However, I still find it to be rather insightful and informative; it does have a tendency to reveal 'trends'. I personally would encourage those who don't know their type to spend the 15 mins on a test to find out; it was certainly worth the time for me.

I had to look up the list and use the dictionary a little but I'd go with INTP

I love being alone in nature, hiking solo and all the challenges that come with it, along with the natural beauty of it. I long for the next long distance hike I'm able to do, they all seem to short now and not quite the same....
    NoDoz
    nobo 2018 March 10th - October 19th
    -
    I'm just one too many mornings and 1,000 miles behind

Boy, don't I feel dumb. I had no idea what any of those acronyms stand for, so I googled it. Here is a link for anyone else who shares my bewilderment.

https://www.16personalities.com/personality-types

Oh, yeah. I'm first an INTJ with ISFP close behind.
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

If I could edit my previous post on the subject I would. My first thought was to look at the personality types and determine which one I am without taking the test available at the link I posted. Well, I took the test after I posted and I came up as a ISTJ -A. Surprise to me!

Capture2.PNG
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

The Meyer's Briggs test is not "reliable" or "valid." The test doesn't encompass all possible "personality types" (basically it will categorize you some way even if you don't really fit there) and your result will change significantly depending on your current mood. Basically, it's bull****.
    Appalachian Trail ‘16-
    678/2198
    Pinhoti Trail ‘17-‘20
    321/321
    Benton MacKaye Trail ‘17-‘21
    286/286
    Bartram Trail ‘22
    116/116
    Foothills Trail ‘21
    78/78
    Palmetto Trail ‘22-
    22/380

Quote Originally Posted by Slugg View Post
    The Meyer's Briggs test is not "reliable" or "valid." The test doesn't encompass all possible "personality types" (basically it will categorize you some way even if you don't really fit there) and your result will change significantly depending on your current mood. Basically, it's bull****.
    Yep. A more valid personality indicator is What Hogswarts house do you belong to?

Ravenclaw!

ISFJ-a, FWIW, based on an online MBTI. Somewhere, quite a while ago, I read a study that long-distance hikers are predominantly introverts. Surprise, surprise.

Images

It's a series of polarized dichotomies! And of course, polarized dichotomies are rarely representitive of physical reality, so your assessment does hold some validity. But BS? Na. Not so much... Not like that at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Rift Zone View Post
    There are 16 "personality types" (according to MBTI), while there are like 7+ billion different types of people. So mbti certainly has limited scope and applicability. However, I still find it to be rather insightful and informative; it does have a tendency to reveal 'trends'...

Quote Originally Posted by Rift Zone View Post
    It's a series of polarized dichotomies! And of course, polarized dichotomies are rarely representitive of physical reality, so your assessment does hold some validity. But BS? Na. Not so much... Not like that at all.
    It doesn't do what it claims to do. I think that makes it B.S. I had an entire lecture on it in college. A quick Google of "Meyer's Briggs Validity" will tell you the same.
    Appalachian Trail ‘16-
    678/2198
    Pinhoti Trail ‘17-‘20
    321/321
    Benton MacKaye Trail ‘17-‘21
    286/286
    Bartram Trail ‘22
    116/116
    Foothills Trail ‘21
    78/78
    Palmetto Trail ‘22-
    22/380

After careful consideration I am a HCBMB---Hyper Critical Backpacking Misanthrope Bum. I used to be HDD---Homeless Dumpster Diver.

Images

It doesn't do what it claims to do. I think that makes it B.S. I had an entire lecture on it in college. A quick Google of "Meyer's Briggs Validity" will tell you the same.
    Fair enough. I'm not saying you're wrong about that, but I wouldn't go so far as to say you're right about that either. It most certainly holds validity! How much validity, however, is open for discussion/interpretation.

Journal Entries

The value of it is only that it teaches you that other people are different, and interact with the world around them differently. And to succeed in the workplace you have to be accommodating to this.

What the hell else would it be useful for?

It actually doesn't matter what type anyone is, just that you understand other people can be very different from you. Different people are suited for different jobs better. For instance, you wouldn't expect a strongly introverted person to be great at positions that require a lot of interpersonal interaction. And people that like to interact with others probably aren't going to be happy working by themselves.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 12-31-2018 at 18:12.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++