WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Conjugal visits on the Trail

I'm thru-hiking this year, and leaving a sad and lonely girlfriend at home. We want to plan to meet up at some point along the trail (ok, so we're not married and therefore it's not technically conjugal, it just made for a good thread title). She lives in Philadlephia, and will likely come see me at Delaware Water Gap, but I wanted to see if anyone had any info about areas, preferably in VA that she might be able to joing me for a few days hiking. The biggest problem being that she probably won't have a car. Is there a spot where it's relatively easy to reach the Trail by train/bus and then to get back to that spot after a couple days of hiking (presumably by hitching)? I was thinking of Shenandoah since it's so heavily trafficked? Any suggestions/thoughts will be most appreciated.

Images

She could fly into Roanoke and catch a taxi to Dragon's Tooth Parking Area. It's probably 20 minutes by taxi. The two of you could spend a couple or three nights in the McAfee Knob / Tinker Cliffs Area. You could spend a night in one of several motels in the Daleville area and she could taxi back to the airport. That'd be another 20-25 minute taxi ride.

The section from Dragon's Tooth to Daleville is about 25 miles if I remember correctly.

Section Hiker - 339.8 miles - I'm gettin' there! papa john's Avatar
    Images

She could go into Washington DC and catch the commuter train out to Harpers Ferry.
    Papa John

Isn't there a train stop directly on the AT in NY?

Yes, Metro North's Harlem Line has an AT stop, although the schedule is very infrequent (as I recall, only on weekends ...).
    you left to walk the appalachian trail
    you can feel your heart as smooth as a snail
    the mountains your darlings
    but better to love than have something to scale

-Girlyman, "Hold It All At Bay"

The Bus stops in waynesboro VA walking distance from the YMCA campground where hikers stay for free, just pryor to the beautiful and easy stretch of the shenandoah that has blackberry milkshakes like every 10 miles...

Hell, to help a fellow hiker with some trail nookie, gimme a call. If she can get to Allentown, I'll shuttle her to any trailhead (no pun intended) within 50 mi.

Default Membership has its Priviledges

Quote Originally Posted by CampTim
    I'm thru-hiking this year, and leaving a sad and lonely girlfriend at home. We want to plan to meet up at some point along the trail (ok, so we're not married and therefore it's not technically conjugal, it just made for a good thread title). She lives in Philadlephia, and will likely come see me at Delaware Water Gap, but I wanted to see if anyone had any info about areas, preferably in VA that she might be able to joing me for a few days hiking. The biggest problem being that she probably won't have a car. Is there a spot where it's relatively easy to reach the Trail by train/bus and then to get back to that spot after a couple days of hiking (presumably by hitching)? I was thinking of Shenandoah since it's so heavily trafficked? Any suggestions/thoughts will be most appreciated.
    As a member of the Philly Hikerz, your spouse or significant other may be transported by a volunteer member to meet you on the trail. How about Pine Grove Furnace which is the halfway point? The Doyle Hotel,Port Clinton, Eckville maybe even Billville (not). Use a train or bus for Harpers Ferry or Damascus but in Pa. we can help you out!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by CampTim

cool thread neo

Images

Quote Originally Posted by saimyoji
    Hell, to help a fellow hiker with some trail nookie, gimme a call. If she can get to Allentown, I'll shuttle her to any trailhead (no pun intended) within 50 mi.
    LMAO - Saimyoji you're a real saint......
    It's a great day to be alive !

PM me when your 'ready!"

Quote Originally Posted by neo
    cool thread neo
    i'll second that.

Wow, didn't think this would get such an outpouring of support. You guys are awesome, if perhaps a little twisted? In a good way, of course! In that way that creates the wonderful community that are hikers.
    Twofifteen, what you described sounds absolutely perfect, thanks for the help. We're going to try to meet up earlier in the hike, so VA is what we're looking for I think. Once I get towards PA, I might just take some of you up on your offers for rides. Hooray for some sweet loving on the Trail! Although she did threaten that I better be at least mildly clean before she even came near me... Better be a nice cold stream nearby our meeting spot.

Images

Camp Tim,

Glad to help. I'll PM you more info.

Default Make time!

Regardless of the where, when, how, and for how long - make time to see other people while you're on the trail... it's worth it (for several reasons!).

Don't ever come to the conclusion that it's just too hard logistically - figure out how to make it work.

-- MB
    Megabite, GA->ME 2004, http://www.walkingnorth.com

Good advice, Megabite. I've got a number of meet-ups scheduled along my hike, and I know I'll appreciate the familiar company.

Great thread, my wife never met me until New York. We both felt that if we got together sooner I might just want to come home but by New York I would be committed. I don't know if I would have been tempted to quit by a visit but I do know that after nearly 4 months, no way. A woman who I hiked most of the way had her husband join her at least once a month. Anyhow, once you get to Maine either I or any member of my hiking club will shuttle any hiker about anywhere on the trail. You can reach me through Whiteblaze and if I can't shuttle you several members of "The Maine Gang" will be willing to.
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT]Don't fret the petty things, &
    Don't pet the sweaty things[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][/FONT][I][/I]
    (I'm moxie00 on my apple-moxie on my PC)

Quote Originally Posted by lbbrown
    The Doyle Hotel,Port Clinton, Eckville maybe even Billville (not).
    Why "not?" Is not Billville the most romantic place on the Trail?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jester2000
    i don't know a/b billville, but the honeymoon suite at the doyle is posh (as far as trail accomodations go). i can tell you, the springs on the "bed" are definitely worn out, though

Quote Originally Posted by Jester2000
    I think of Billville as a "state of mind"? Kinda like "home is where the heart is" or "home is where you hang your hat" or better yet " if you can't be with the one you love, then love the one you're with"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++