WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

He pushes me beyond what I think my limits are. I get him to slow down and relax. One time we were on a day hike and I got stuck on a part he had just crossed. I literally couldn't moove. I was on a very narrow ledge and there was a very long drop if I fell. He took up a secure position and helped me across.

I'm sure there will be some conflict on the trail but we generally get over it quickly at home.

Quote Originally Posted by gracebowen View Post
    He pushes me beyond what I think my limits are. I get him to slow down and relax. One time we were on a day hike and I got stuck on a part he had just crossed. I literally couldn't moove. I was on a very narrow ledge and there was a very long drop if I fell. He took up a secure position and helped me across.

I'm sure there will be some conflict on the trail but we generally get over it quickly at home.
    Even though your hiking styles may be quite different and you are struggling to get his pack weight down I am guessing the two of you are pretty close as siblings and that is what will enhance the hike. If I had the chance to do a thru-hike with my sister I would absolutely JUMP at the opportunity (she never would as she's not into backpacking). You have a year...I think you'll get through to him with a few weeks out together. Ask him what he intends to do with the machete and axe...and then provide logical and concise objections/reasons...like legality of using/carrying them.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    ... And why are his ideas so wrong? Can't someone do a thru hike approaching it as he is? Don't fall into the mentality 'this is how a thru-hike has to be done.' Maybe he's going to do something uncommon in an uncommon way.
    Good point. There was once a guy from Minnesota with 9 rolls of toilet paper and a lot of other baggage...

Journal Entries

1. your brother is clueless
    2. by tethering yoursef to a family member, youve just likely halved your odds of sucess.

Go do some training hikes in steep mountains with him.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 01-02-2019 at 06:15.

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    I am thinking he is just messing with you.

Perhaps for fun, or just so you continue to do all advance work before he pulls his part together a week or two in advance.
    Kind of my thought too. I would get him a goalie mask for safety when using the machete and let him know LE should be able to sort things out.

Images

How big is your brother? What Shape?
    YOu?

You talk about splitting up taking different trails.. That can be OK, but can add a lot of stress as well.

He is worried about running out of food. Less extra stuff = more food.
    By the sounds of it you probably are pushing that issue. Sounds like you may need a part time Sherpa.
    Last edited by petedelisio; 01-02-2019 at 13:26.

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    ... I would get him a goalie mask for safety when using the machete and let him know LE should be able to sort things out.
    LOL Tell him you're bringing a weed wacker and chain saw. You're doing it the 'right way.'

Seriously, things/issues can tend to magnify on trail compared to at home. You'll each be under stress you're not familiar. Dealing positively with them challenges individuals. Now, you have added challenges as two people doing their first LD hike.

Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    Even though your hiking styles may be quite different and you are struggling to get his pack weight down I am guessing the two of you are pretty close as siblings and that is what will enhance the hike. If I had the chance to do a thru-hike with my sister I would absolutely JUMP at the opportunity (she never would as she's not into backpacking). You have a year...I think you'll get through to him with a few weeks out together. Ask him what he intends to do with the machete and axe...and then provide logical and concise objections/reasons...like legality of using/carrying them.
    Why have not heard of such sister?

I wouldn't hike with somebody carrying a hatchet and a machete, even if he's family. "Good ole boy" to one may be a "nutcase" to another. Prepare to get a lot of funny stares on the trail.....

I have done several trips with my brother and we have different styles. I would not want do a thru with him. we have different paces, different plans on when to take breaks, different desires about how closely we need to hike to each other, and probably others. I can do it for a week, and would enjoy visits from him if I do a thru, but not to be in lock step with him for 5 months.. We also would want to do different mileage so if you stick very close together all day your pace will be the slowest of each of you at any given time. Your days will be longer to get the same mileage as if you were separate. You will probably average less miles per day extending the number of days you are on trail.

Skeeter he doesn't have to hike close to me. He has agreed to hike at my place. We will both be fully equipped so if we split up we can both complete our hike. He will be fine camping and day hiking to wait for me too.

I don’t think you need to worry about having the perfect amount of, and type of gear on a thru hike that has so many resupply points and trash cans. If someone is carrying something heavy or bulky that they don’t find useful on a daily basis, instinct will kick in soon enough and they will ditch it. Just do it at a proper trash can and not on the trail. Or mail it back home if it’s expensive, sentimental, or useful at a later date. If you find you are missing something, just add it to your pack at a resupply. Don’t let someone else’s gear choices stress you out.

Quote Originally Posted by HandyRandy View Post
    ........If someone is carrying something heavy or bulky that they don’t find useful on a daily basis, instinct will kick in soon enough and they will ditch it. ...........
    I hiked the first 200 miles of the AT with a guy who started off sleeping with an 8 inch sheath knife in his sleeping bag "In case of bears". He sent the knife home before we left Georgia. Your brother will do the same with his useless stuff and if not then that's his choice to carry it.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

The ax and hatchet are for turning dead wood into firewood for camp fire

Images

Quote Originally Posted by gracebowen View Post
    The ax and hatchet are for turning dead wood into firewood for camp fire
    If you cannot break it in the fork of a tree or by stepping on it, the wood is too big for a practical fire. Anything larger takes too long to burn up and leads to a smoldering hazard next morning .

I know .............not too short now

... I can’t recall a single time on the AT (GA to CT) where we were unable to find enough firewood for an evening fire. All breakable by hand, foot, or rock.

Critter-wise, wild boar in GA worried me more than bears or rattlesnakes, the latter give you a warning (most times) and you can back away from their space. Boar you need to climb a tree fast! Haven’t reached moose country yet, but I’m thinking a big tree between you and it works better than a knife, maybe our NH friends have some advice.

Quote Originally Posted by swisscross View Post
    Why have not heard of such sister?
    I've mentioned her...you just don't listen...lol

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hatchet_1697 View Post
    ... Haven’t reached moose country yet, but I’m thinking a big tree between you and it works better than a knife, maybe our NH friends have some advice.
    Act like friendly flying squirrel comrade. You would want a LOT more obstacles than just one tree between you and a PO'ed moose. If you only have one tree between you, use it, but you messed up big-time. Maintain a respectful distance, and don't close that distance. They are territorial and will protect their area, including water spots. Cows with their calf and bulls in rut are also more easily agitated. Use common sense. If you are affecting its behavior you are too close. If it lays its ears back, paws at the ground, or smacks its lips/teeth, etc, you are WAY too close. Generally they are pretty chill. BUT... They are huge AND incredibly fast AND nimble. They will occasionally bluff charge if threatened - run away, they aren't looking to catch you and trample you to death for sport, they just want you gone.

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    Act like friendly flying squirrel comrade.
    Nice! Good advice, thanks Rocky!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++