WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default December on the Appalachian Trail

If it becomes clear that a thru hike will extend into December where is the warmest place to hike?

Right now it's a high of 53 low of 47 in NE Georgia.

Images

Generally speaking, keep in mind that higher elevations = colder temps. And, of course, same for more northern latitudes = colder temps.

And if it's a true thru-hike, such as NOBO GAME, Katahdin will be closed by December. Sometimes, for SOBO MEGA, roads in the GSMNP close in December due to snow and ice at elevation.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

The best solution for your possible scenario is a Flip-Flop.
    NOBO from Harpers Ferry to Maine and SOBO from Harpers Ferry to Georgia.
    Keep in mind that the mountains from Virginia to Georgia make their own weather. Actual temperature doesn’t tell the whole story. I just checked the forecast for Elk Park, NC. The next 3 days: Temperatures in the 40s. Rain. 72+ hours of 40 degree, or less, liquid air will drive you crazy. If it doesn’t kill you first.
    Be dry. Be warm. Be safe.
    Good luck.
    Wayne

A recent data point:
    December 7-8-9-10, 2018. 1’, 2’ or maybe 3 feet of snow fell in the mountains along the NC-TN border. Which is where the AT is. That wasn’t even officially winter.
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    The best solution for your possible scenario is a Flip-Flop.
    NOBO from Harpers Ferry to Maine and SOBO from Harpers Ferry to Georgia.
    Keep in mind that the mountains from Virginia to Georgia make their own weather. Actual temperature doesn’t tell the whole story. I just checked the forecast for Elk Park, NC. The next 3 days: Temperatures in the 40s. Rain. 72+ hours of 40 degree, or less, liquid air will drive you crazy. If it doesn’t kill you first.
    Be dry. Be warm. Be safe.
    Good luck.
    Wayne
    HF to Maine has always been the plan. I've debated HF to Ga and Ga to HF.
    It's not likely to go into December but anything's possible.

The weather is different every year. And when you start SOBO is also part of the equation.
    However. Getting to Harpers Ferry from Maine is theoretically easier than north Georgia. When you finish at Springer you’re closer to home. Walking toward home is psychologically uplifting. I’ve heard.
    Investigate both. Flip a coin.
    Wayne

Images

I can't imagine that anywhere else is going to be milder than Ga. Potentially some lower elevation areas, but being much further north for those areas is another risk, especially for significant snowfall, which is not much of a risk in Ga. Many thru hikers finish in Ga in Nov/Dec.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Quote Originally Posted by scope View Post
    I can't imagine that anywhere else is going to be milder than Ga. Potentially some lower elevation areas, but being much further north for those areas is another risk, especially for significant snowfall, which is not much of a risk in Ga. Many thru hikers finish in Ga in Nov/Dec.
    The problem is that you have to get through Tennessee and North Carolina in November and maybe December before you get to Georgia.
    Wayne

The problem is that you have to get through Tennessee and North Carolina in November and maybe December before you get to Georgia.
    Wayne
    This. Georgia is only 70 miles. The last 10% of the AT SOBO is going to include most of the Smokies.

The Smokies are the final act. Grayson Highlands, Roan Mountain, Max Patch, etc. are the prelude.
    Wayne

You can deal with cold and you can deal with wet, but cold and wet is probably the most difficult weather to handle for many days/weeks.

The British, New Zealanders, and Tasmanians are the master of dealing with cold/wet weather. Use their tips.

Took a drive up to Max Patch in NC on Dec 26. Close to 60f and a nice day down below. Lots of lingering snow and slush at higher elevation and on the AT. Not the easiest hiking conditions, but was easier than the drive up..
    Similar story for most places around there in late November/December.... hard to say what you'll get

Images

I would say the mid-Atlantic area - PA, NJ, NY - would offer the most PREDICTABLE weather in Dec. due to the lower elevations. Cool to cold, possibility of cold rain and snow for sure, but less "mountain weather". You'll have fewer trail related services available. But hiking that late into the year you'll also be hiking through many hunting seasons as well, no matter where you hike, so be sure to also wear the proper amount of orange clothing.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    I would say the mid-Atlantic area - PA, NJ, NY - would offer the most PREDICTABLE weather in Dec. due to the lower elevations. Cool to cold, possibility of cold rain and snow for sure, but less "mountain weather". You'll have fewer trail related services available. But hiking that late into the year you'll also be hiking through many hunting seasons as well, no matter where you hike, so be sure to also wear the proper amount of orange clothing.
    i would say more of the services that hikers use through PA, NJ and NY are year round businesses that just happen to be close to the trail, so that might make winter in the mid atlantic more manageable.

also easier to get yourself out of the weather if it becomes an issue for sure. and less likely to encounter the sort of weather that derails you for multiple days on end.

maybe a sort of uneven flip-flop like salisbury, CT to katahdin followed by springer to salisbury?

Images

Wayne
    Quote Originally Posted by evyck da fleet View Post
    This. Georgia is only 70 miles. The last 10% of the AT SOBO is going to include most of the Smokies.
    Well, I agree that I'd want to be out of the smokies before Thanksgiving, and that's not to say that they won't get terrible weather in Nov, but its not as typical as spring. Otherwise, the weather temps going forward, sobo, are pretty similar to the mid-Atlantic region, though its also true to say its more predictable at lower elevation and likely less snow. Probable that you would experience some warmer days in the sun further south, and slightly longer days, too. Personally, I'd flip flop the Smokies through Roan out of the equation and leave Fontana to Amicalola (might as well keep going) as your last section to get done. Again, lingering sobos routinely make that trek at that time. Lots of folks running full time service from Damascus southward.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    i would say more of the services that hikers use through PA, NJ and NY are year round businesses that just happen to be close to the trail, so that might make winter in the mid atlantic more manageable.

also easier to get yourself out of the weather if it becomes an issue for sure. and less likely to encounter the sort of weather that derails you for multiple days on end.

maybe a sort of uneven flip-flop like salisbury, CT to katahdin followed by springer to salisbury?
    I ran into a couple of girls who started mid April from Springer and jumped ahead by train at Harpers Ferry to the Kent/Salisbury area to get to K before 10/15 with the intention of taking a train back to CT to hike back to HF.

++ New Posts ++