WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Banana peels? Like 100 people have brought fresh to be peeled bananas on a hike past a TH in all of modern U.S. mainland backpacking history. I think someone has been smoking banana peels.
    "They call me Mellow Yellow."
    “For of all sad words of tongue or pen,
    the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier

I prefer GMO plantains and pomelo.
    Termite fart so much they are responsible for 3% of global methane emissions.

Images

Anyone who doesn't understand how "invasive species" start needs to go for a hike in the Everglades where, to paraphrase The Kingston Trio, "If the skeeters don't get you, then the pythons will."

If the specific matter you're pitching trailside didn't grow right there, pack it out. The world is not your private toilet.

The Weasel
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Here's a good tip. Don't leave anything you don't want to eat, because somebody may feed it to you if they catch you.

Quote Originally Posted by skater View Post
    Here's a good tip. Don't leave anything you don't want to eat, because somebody may feed it to you if they catch you.
    This!!! #DivineRetribution

Images

I see nothing aesthetically wrong with throwing apple cores (and even banana peels, maybe) off into the woods, assuming it's way off any trails. They turn brown and invisible very quickly.

What is wrong with this practice is the feeding of animals. We should never feed wild animals. Ever. It is a bad thing for many reasons. So we never do this. Well, almost never.

Images

This seems to have been dropped, so I'll say it again:

I am willing to accept feeding apple cores and banana peels to trailside Burmese pythons, but by hand-feeding them only. This tends to reduce ground litter, and has beneficial effects on both pythons and reducing the number of idiots who litter. Win-win-win for all.
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Quote Originally Posted by The Weasel View Post
    Anyone who doesn't understand how "invasive species" start needs to go for a hike in the Everglades where, to paraphrase The Kingston Trio, "If the skeeters don't get you, then the pythons will."
    The Weasel
    Wow, I never realized that banana peels and apple cores were invasive species that might start multiplying and alter the AT ecosystem.

Images

Banana peels - fine as long as they're not left directly on the trail as a hazard.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Images

Quote Originally Posted by gpburdelljr View Post
    Wow, I never realized that banana peels and apple cores were invasive species that might start multiplying and alter the AT ecosystem.
    Well, banana peels may actually have the remainder of the seed, and can grow. While a tropical plant, it's not impossible for it to grow elsewhere. As for apples, you've never heard of Johnny Appleseed? And let's assume that I'm wrong (which is possible, but maybe not): Why take the chance? If you can carry it in, you can carry it out.

TW

Quote Originally Posted by The Weasel View Post
    Well, banana peels may actually have the remainder of the seed, and can grow. While a tropical plant, it's not impossible for it to grow elsewhere. As for apples, you've never heard of Johnny Appleseed? And let's assume that I'm wrong (which is possible, but maybe not): Why take the chance? If you can carry it in, you can carry it out.

TW
    The only way to grow banana trees north of Florida is to bring the trees inside in the winter. Apples were brought over by the first colonists, and haven’t become an invasive species yet. Carrying out your trash is a valid argument for multiple reasons, but not because banana and apple trees might become an invasive species from banana peels and apple cores.

Quote Originally Posted by gpburdelljr View Post
    Apples were brought over by the first colonists, and haven’t become an invasive species yet. Carrying out your trash is a valid argument for multiple reasons, but not because banana and apple trees might become an invasive species from banana peels and apple cores.
    Here in Southern Ontario, apples are definitely an invasive species. Deer, in particular, spread their seeds, as do coyote and fox and raccoons, who turn quite the fruit eaters in late summer and fall. Apples invade old farm fields, and become quite dominant for several decades.

Quote Originally Posted by Traillium View Post
    Here in Southern Ontario, apples are definitely an invasive species. Deer, in particular, spread their seeds, as do coyote and fox and raccoons, who turn quite the fruit eaters in late summer and fall. Apples invade old farm fields, and become quite dominant for several decades.
    I stand corrected.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7
++ New Posts ++