WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Interactive A.T. Data Book

a few months ago I downloaded an interactive database called the A.T. Mileage Book from

http://www.officecomputertraining.co.../portfolio.asp

Its in an executable progam that you'll need to install on your computer. The database contains about 1056 geographic data points with multiple keywords that allows searching for shelters, water, post offices, road crossings, etc, and its annotable so you can add your own notes. You can reverse it for NOBO or SOBO hikes. The program is shareware usable for 30 days. The author asks that you send him ten bucks if you keep it...He shares the proceeds with the ATC.

Seems to be a very useful tool for planning and day-dreaming..

"1056 geographic data points" - does this mean that GPS coordinates are included in the data base?

I guess thats a misnomer...no...no GPS points..I guess the proper description would be information about 1056 different "places" on the trail with info on water, camping, lodges, etc. Sorry for the confusion...

Images

Any idea how current his info is? 2003 Data Book current?

Good question...I downloaded and installed the latest version. The number of data points has increased to 1279...The data seems a couple of years old (2001 is the date on the database that comes with the program. It seems to be based on the A.T. databook but supplemented by other information. I randomly selected some data points from the database and compared them to the A.T. databook...the mileages and shelter names, for example, seem to match pretty closely to data in the A.T. book.. The newest version (2.1) has some additional features as well...If you need more detailed info, you can go to the site above and e-mail the guy who wrote the program.

Don

++ New Posts ++