WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Ditching my Kelty Cosmic 20

Hey everyone!

So I was finally able to test out my Kelty Comsic 20 and it did not live up to expectations. I went out in around 40 degrees with three layers (REI midweight base, Patagonia R1, and marmot precept) and was uncomfortably cold to say the least. I decided to ditch the Kelty and move on to something warmer. I will be starting my AT hike mid march, and I hear it can still be plenty cold during that time.

Does anyone have any recommendations on a sleeping bag and/or quilt? I was looking for something mid-tier, 20 degree bags/quilt that will be warmer than the Kelty. I do sleep very cold. My price range is around 250-300 dollars. Any recommendations is greatly appreciated!

What pad did you use ??

I just used a Hyke & Byke 800 fill 0 degree bag overnight in Maryland (on the AT) and was pretty comfortable in the low 30's (I sleep really cold as well): https://www.amazon.com/Hyke-Byke-Goo.../dp/B07BSX9SHW

I think $ for warmth it's a good bag, light and packs small.

The pad is equally important as the bag. If I have to wear more than my underwear to sleep then I deem my pad and sleeping bag to not be sufficient enough for the outing I have chosen to go on.

I have always seen buying a sleeping bag as a long term investment. IF you get something like a montbell, WM or EE it is going to pricey, but you will be warm to the rating of the bag and it will last a lifetime. As far as pads go, I would suggest Exped. They have a broad range of temp ratings and excellent customer service.
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Images

Do you really think the 20 rating on the Kelty is so overblown so as to be useless at 40? Read up some.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    The pad is equally important as the bag. If I have to wear more than my underwear to sleep then I deem my pad and sleeping bag to not be sufficient enough for the outing I have chosen to go on.

I have always seen buying a sleeping bag as a long term investment. IF you get something like a montbell, WM or EE it is going to pricey, but you will be warm to the rating of the bag and it will last a lifetime. As far as pads go, I would suggest Exped. They have a broad range of temp ratings and excellent customer service.
    My sleeping pad R-value is rated at 4.4. Didn't really feel cold from under.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheyou View Post
    What pad did you use ??

I used a Klymit Insulated Static V LITE rated with an R-value of 4.4.

https://www.amazon.com/Klymit-Insula...c+V+LITE&psc=1

Read up on what exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by scope View Post
    Do you really think the 20 rating on the Kelty is so overblown so as to be useless at 40? Read up some.
    I wouldn't say useless, I would say uncomfortable. Perhaps others would feel fine in it, I didn't. I'm a cold sleeper and it didn't provide the warmth needed for me to get a good nights rest. Just looking for some alternatives before I set out.

I also sleep cold and have been using for several years a 0 degree Montbell bag for cold weather (30 degrees and below for me). On several trips on the Ga. AT it kept me toasty in early March. I also use an EE 20 degree quilt from about 30 degrees to 50 degrees and it keeps me warm for those temps. I use an EE 40 degree quilt for above 50. I like to sleep warm. These should all be in your price range and available by your start date. All my stuff is down but Montbell and EE also make their bags and quilts with synthetic fills bringing down the price of each considerably.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MattSin97 View Post
    Read up on what exactly?
    You were cold from within, your pad and bag were sufficient to reduce heat transfer, just didn't have much to work with. Ditch the layers and warm yourself up some - the bag needs your warmth to fully loft. The Precip likely held in some normal perspiration, too. (not sweat since you were cold)

Not saying the Cosmic is the bees knees for insulation - it looks dubious at 30 for me despite its good reviews - but its clear that it should've been sufficient at 40. Made this same mistake before - I'm layered up to deal with the cold from sitting around camp and eventually its too cold for the layers to deal with so I climb in a bag, layers and all, expecting it to warm me. You actually have to warm it for it to work like you expect it to.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

You were cold from within, your pad and bag were sufficient to reduce heat transfer, just didn't have much to work with. Ditch the layers and warm yourself up some - the bag needs your warmth to fully loft. The Precip likely held in some normal perspiration, too. (not sweat since you were cold)

Not saying the Cosmic is the bees knees for insulation - it looks dubious at 30 for me despite its good reviews - but its clear that it should've been sufficient at 40. Made this same mistake before - I'm layered up to deal with the cold from sitting around camp and eventually its too cold for the layers to deal with so I climb in a bag, layers and all, expecting it to warm me. You actually have to warm it for it to work like you expect it to.
    The thing is, I didn't start with all those layers. I added a layer about every hour because I was still really cold. I'm not sure what went wrong.

Images

FWIW, the more you spend, the more you get closer to something that works more efficiently at trapping your body heat. You're gonna give off some no matter what you're wearing, its just that I think the minimal down in the Kelty (enough down to justify its rating) needed more from you. The more expensive bags seem to need less from you to work well, whether that's a function of more down, better down, or much more conservative rating, I don't know.
    - Kate Chopin

Images

i have the 40 degree version of the exact same bag and have used it probably down to 35. cant say i was toasty warm but it was workable. i too have trouble thinking the 20 degree bag doesnt work at 40 degrees.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MattSin97 View Post
    The thing is, I didn't start with all those layers. I added a layer about every hour because I was still really cold. I'm not sure what went wrong.
    Did you make it overnight, or bail? Once cold, its really hard to shake it. Again, the bag doesn't warm you, its the other way around. When your body gets cold, it starts getting defensive and shutting down blood flow in areas. It gets conservative with your body heat, whereas you need your body to get liberal with it, to some degree. With a fully lofted bag, you can be insulated so that heat production and loss reach an equilibrium = comfort.

I'm also a cold sleeper and I always maintain a 10-degree rule for the insulation I bring, meaning I bring my 20 degree stuff for being in the 30s, maybe high 20s.
    - Kate Chopin

FWIW, the more you spend, the more you get closer to something that works more efficiently at trapping your body heat. You're gonna give off some no matter what you're wearing, its just that I think the minimal down in the Kelty (enough down to justify its rating) needed more from you. The more expensive bags seem to need less from you to work well, whether that's a function of more down, better down, or much more conservative rating, I don't know.
    Thanks for the insight, I think I'm just already worried about Being warm enough, especially since I already sleep cold, that I would feel more comfortable with a bag/ quilt that needs less from me to become warm.

I made it through, but I didn't sleep much at all. I'm notoriously unmotivated and anxious without a good nights sleep. I'm trying to gauge how the weather will be on the AT, but I see it's variable, so I want to err on the side of being too warm rather than too cold.

I like, when I'm using a sleeping bag vs a quilt, the Marmot Sawtooth. It's a 15 degree with draft tubes. Very comfortable and true to it's rating. It's affordable and well reviewed.

I don't use mine anymore due to using quilts now.

Look into Western Mountaineering sleeping bags. Pricey but you will not regret it.

Quote Originally Posted by ant View Post
    I like, when I'm using a sleeping bag vs a quilt, the Marmot Sawtooth. It's a 15 degree with draft tubes. Very comfortable and true to it's rating. It's affordable and well reviewed.

I don't use mine anymore due to using quilts now.
    Thanks, any recommendations on quilts?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++