WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Bicycle parking at NOC and Fontana dam.

Can I leave a bicycle at either of these places for a few days?
    My idea is drop bike at either end, drive the hike back to it then ride back to car. Should be only 28 (mountainous) miles by road, not a big deal. Figure on 3-4 days total.
    I understand shuttles are available but I want to try something different. This would be in May.

I would expect it could work either way; the folks at NOC are extremely accommodating, and likewise I've always had good service at Fontana Village. I'd call both, but would expect that while they would say they wouldn't watch your bike (i.e., guarantee its safety) they would provide a spot you could lock it up for few days at your own risk.

As you note, that is a mountainous (curvy, narrow, with limited sightlines) road between the two locations - take care.

Sounds like a fun adventure - let us know how it turns out!

Images

I would call both Fontana village and marina ask them separately...

but I would call marina first and if they say yes, their building is only a few hundred feet below trail...

you could also ask the visitors center at tva although since they are federal, not sure if they would think a bike locked near the Dam would be considered dangerous...

i have a feeling that marina (but don't quote me) would allow you to lock up on some their railing...

where i am now, which might not be where i am tomorrow

i've thru hiked thrice and cycled around the world once. also, i live in this area and cycle that route often. it's a sweet ride (minus motorcycle traffic).

i can't see one of the options already listed not giving you permission. however, if they don't hook you up, just shoulder your bike 50 ft in and then go off trail a bit and lock it to a tree in an obscure area. all good.

Quote Originally Posted by cliffordbarnabus View Post
    i've thru hiked thrice and cycled around the world once. also, i live in this area and cycle that route often. it's a sweet ride (minus motorcycle traffic).

i can't see one of the options already listed not giving you permission. however, if they don't hook you up, just shoulder your bike 50 ft in and then go off trail a bit and lock it to a tree in an obscure area. all good.
    That is my back up plan. Find a thicket, drag the bike in and lock it to a tree. Maybe toss a bit of brush over it for good measure. Really doubt a bear or raccoon would have any interest.
    Didn't know the marina was a separate business, will call them too.

++ New Posts ++