WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Question about Forest Service Road servicing Springer Mtn parking lot

I believe it is USFS Road #42. Does this ever close due to inclement weather, or bad conditions? Looking to make a mid-March approach, will have a vehicle with good clearance (Jeep Cherokee). Thanks in advance!

You will be fine. The only reason it would be an issue is if there was a snowstorm a few days beforehand.

Quote Originally Posted by soumodeler View Post
    You will be fine. The only reason it would be an issue is if there was a snowstorm a few days beforehand.
    Thanks for the quick reply! Yeah, a snowstorm is not something I'm hoping for

I've read the drive in from the west is better than the road from the east, due to the gravel road conditions?

I've seen a Mustang make it up from the east side. Don't worry about it with a Jeep!

Quote Originally Posted by Crushed Grapes View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply! Yeah, a snowstorm is not something I'm hoping for

I've read the drive in from the west is better than the road from the east, due to the gravel road conditions?
    Go in from the west via Double Gap rd.

The Winding stairs approach is a cow path. Along the side of a cliff in places. I still can't believe I got my friends Subaru up that way. It was really sketchy in more then a few places. I can't imagine that road has gotten any better in the 5-6 years since I was on it.
    Coming in from Suches would be a long slog.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Go in from the west via Double Gap rd.

The Winding stairs approach is a cow path. Along the side of a cliff in places. I still can't believe I got my friends Subaru up that way. It was really sketchy in more then a few places. I can't imagine that road has gotten any better in the 5-6 years since I was on it.
    Coming in from Suches would be a long slog.
    The feedback I was looking for. Many thanks!

Correct. There is one narrow and steep part on the road from the east that is badly rutted. I've done it in a car but it was white knuckles for a bit. Not really an issue for something with a slightly higher clearance, but it will be slow going.

Quote Originally Posted by FreeGoldRush View Post
    Correct. There is one narrow and steep part on the road from the east that is badly rutted. I've done it in a car but it was white knuckles for a bit. Not really an issue for something with a slightly higher clearance, but it will be slow going.
    White knuckles for a bit? You should have seen the look of shear terror on my friends face as I navigated some of those sketchy spots. Good thing we didn't run into anyone coming the other way or it would have been a stand off, since there was no way one could turn around on that single track road and backing up was not an option. I don't think I got up to more then 2 MPH on that so called road. It really shouldn't even be on a map.

This is all good to know. My wife will be driving back out from dropping me off, and she'll possibly be solo, so I'd love for her to a decent route out.

My wife droped me off in her Ford Focus on March 9th. Just drive slow and take your time..

I guess I'm one of the few that don't think that road is difficult - I consider it fun

And that is in a 2WD pickup with street tires.

The last time I drove in there (about two years ago), the road between Nimblewill and Winding Stair Gap was in much rougher shape than FS 42 from the west. It may be a few more miles total miles, but fewer of them are unpaved, and there's less washboarding.

Just keep the speed down. I watched a hiker yell "pull over" and vomit by the road on that stretch once, in a van driven by hostel owner.

Quote Originally Posted by RockDoc View Post
    Just keep the speed down. I watched a hiker yell "pull over" and vomit by the road on that stretch once, in a van driven by hostel owner.
    Thanks! Also that sounds...problematic!

Quote Originally Posted by soumodeler View Post
    I guess I'm one of the few that don't think that road is difficult - I consider it fun And that is in a 2WD pickup with street tires.
    Which way? FS42 from the west is okay, that road seems to be maintained. Winding stairs, not so much.

Which way? FS42 from the west is okay, that road seems to be maintained. Winding stairs, not so much.
    From the east.

if all else is equal, where is your wife headed after dropping you off? If she's headed towards Atlanta/Ellijay/575/75, then west is better. They way back out to the state hwy is a little winding, but the google maps directions are pretty clear. Just know that there is little/no cell service once you head west on 42-3 and Doublehead Gap road until nearly the hwy (GA 52).

If she is headed east toward Dahlonega/Gainesville/85, then the downhill version of Winding Stair Gap road is no problem and is easier to Navigate to 28-1 and Nimblewill Church road. Head east on GA 52 towards Dahlonega and she is on her way.

Yes, GA 52 wraps its way around this section as it winds from Dahlonega to Ellijay with Amicalola along the way. You could easily pop into Amicalola, sign the registry, then be back on your way to the Springer parking lot by either direction.

For the love of Pete, don't even think about the Winding stairs route in Mid March. That would be suicide. Any snow or ice on that road would be big trouble. There'd be a good chance trees are still fallen across it too. It's barely passable in good weather. I seriously doubt that road has gotten any better since I drove it and has likely gotten worse.

White knuckles for a bit? You should have seen the look of shear terror on my friends face as I navigated some of those sketchy spots. Good thing we didn't run into anyone coming the other way or it would have been a stand off, since there was no way one could turn around on that single track road and backing up was not an option. I don't think I got up to more then 2 MPH on that so called road. It really shouldn't even be on a map.
    Just like hiking, the “rules of the off road” are the vehicle driving uphill has the right of way. Some shelf roads in the west, ie Black Bear Pass, are one way due to the extreme slope of the terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by Hosh View Post
    Just like hiking, the “rules of the off road” are the vehicle driving uphill has the right of way. Some shelf roads in the west, ie Black Bear Pass, are one way due to the extreme slope of the terrain.
    That's fine if there is room to pull over and let the other vehicle pass. On this road, there isn't. It's barely wide enough for one vehicle along much of the route. I'm still amazed we made it up that road and lived. Got to give a lot of credit to my friends old AWD Subaru. I'm really amazed a wheel didn't fall off and we didn't loose the exhaust.

I'd be real leery of going on Winding Stairs in March after all the winter storms and before any road crews (assuming the road get any attention at all, most of it is on NF land and a very low priority) get a chance to clear the road of trees, fix erosion problems and clear rock slides.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++