WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: nemo switchback

Default nemo switchback

Has anyone used the nemo switchback ccf pad? Thought about buying a z lite sol until I seen the switchback on rei.com.

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrel29 View Post
    Has anyone used the nemo switchback ccf pad? Thought about buying a z lite sol until I seen the switchback on rei.com.
    I got one from Nemo... its the same thing except it folds up to a tigher package. Which is actually quite nice.

I would buy it over the zlite now.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

I picked up a Nemo Switchback, and used it the past two nights.

When I compared it visually to the Zlite-Sol at REI, they looked exactly the same height to me. I only eyeballed it, but definitely didn't see the sort of drastic difference (or any difference) implied by Nemo's advertising. The crenelations are much deeper on the Nemo, however.

There's snow on the ground here, and temps were hovering right around 20°, and these were work nights, so both nights I used a Ridgerest Solar underneath the Nemo and I cannot comment on the temperature rating when used solo. (Sorry, I know it would have been a perfect opportunity, but I needed to sleep for certain).

I can comment on the comfort, which is supreme. Very "mattressy" and warm -- often I felt downright cuddly and cozy on it, that "ahhh" feeling. One thing I noticed is that when I shifted position in the night, the newly covered areas of the mattress felt cold for a minute or two, after which it was all glowing warmth again. The sensation was much like moving to a new spot in the sheets, or turning over your pillow, on real bed.

I think what's happening there is that the deep depressions trap air very well, especially beneath my down mummy bag. When I roll onto the new spot, the cold air there gets trapped, and then quickly warms. I do think it's possible this pad -- particularly when combined with a sleeping bag as opposed to a quilt -- might be just fine by itself at 20°. But that's conjecture at this point.

Nice review Zalman, I bought one and have not had a chance to use it. I did spread it out on my hardwood floor at home and it did fell quite soft to be on such a hard surface. I think that would be similar to a shelters hard floor, can't wait to use it.

Yeah, I did the same. Haven't decided yet if it's enough by itself for a hard floor through the night, but I did accidentally fall asleep on it during testing in my foyer!

I just saw this pad in REI the other day and almost picked it up to supplement my current pad in winter camping. The Switchback is 0.9” thick and the Z Lite Sol is 0.75” thick although visually, the Z Lite looks heartier.

Update: I've used the Nemo Switchback half a dozen nights now, ranging from sub 20° frozen ground to soft grass to concrete topped with a 1/8" of hard rubber. At this point I think it's safe to say that this pad is undoubtedly the most comfortable CCF pad I've ever used, in over 30 years of CCF devotion. It's also very warm when paired with a sleeping bag, as the crenelations fill with down.

++ New Posts ++