WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Trip meal plans/Kcal vs weight

Hey all! New backpacker here! I’m planning to do a shortish section from Front Royal to Harpers Ferry(54 Miles) this spring. I’ve been looking at food options and wanted some input on whether to worry about the weight/Kcal ratio of my lunch and dinner choices or if I should just stick to granola/protein bars and dehydrated dinners. My metabolism runs pretty high, especially once I get going, and while I don’t feel hungry “on trail” and actually hiking, once I stop to eat I’m ravenous. If I end up needing a bit in weight I have a resupply Point half way set up, which is also my injury/bail point should anything happen.
    Thanks for any help!
    B

How many days do you think the hike will take you? If you're only packing for a couple or three days, take what you like and don't worry.

If it's going to be longer than that, food weight and bulk can start adding up fast. I'd focus on some high calorie, dense foods, to help 'slim down' my food bag - nuts, peanut butter, dark chocolate, oil, etc. I'm not saying take _only_ high calorie and dense; I'm just saying to make sure your food bag includes them.

-FA

If food wt and ravenous hunger is the issue go food heavy from Front Royal if desired. Gnosh like a ravenous Henry the Eighth. It's not a 54 mile food haul. It's 31-32 miles from FR to Bears Den. Call first to confirm availability of choices. It's usually a simple refined selection like tuna, oatmeal packets, mashed taters, snacks. Resupply or supplement there .2 mile off the AT. BD receives boxes too but that's being more anal about food wt than maybe it's worth. 14 miles or so north you have a country store at Keys Gap a stones's throw off teh AT less than 10 miles from Harpers Ferry.

Eat away. Don't sweat the food wt.

Images

A "Hiking Chef" should eat like a chef. Bring what you like and as much as you like. A couple of pounds extra in food weight to eat good food isn't going to negatively affect a hike. Bring some fresh/frozen meat for the first night out and grill it on a skewer over a fire. Mmmm. Kabobs.

Wonderful! I wanted to be sure it wasn’t going to be much of a concern. I’ve got family just past bears den so I’ll be resupplying there if need be. I’ll pack jerky/cured meats like I planned and probably some rice and other easy cook foods. I always hear from the thru hikers that I’ve taken into towns and camped with on my overnight trips that they get super bored of the same meals/food choices and some have a hard time keeping up with calorie intake needs. If I get into the longer hikes I’ll start looking more closely at it, but for now I’ll just enjoy my trip!

++ New Posts ++