WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default wanted: Katadyn Hiker Pro filter cartridge

I would like a used Katadyn Hiker Pro filter cartridge for a project. Basically I want to see if I can use the Hiker pump with a Sawyer filter cartridge but need the screw on part from the Hiker filter cartridge. I have the Hiker pump. It will require some other jury rigging but I'd like to try. I have attached a Sawyer to a different pump but like the compactness of the Hiker Pro. I could buy a new Katadyn Hiker Pro filter cartridge but those are $50 and I'm hoping someone has a used one they'd part with for the cost of shipping, maybe in a Small Flat Rate Box for $7.20. Think of it as recycling.

Thank you.

I've thrown about 40 of these clogged cartridges away in the last 20 years. They used to cost about $25 at most. I'm currently working on #41 for my next trip.

A clogged one would be fine for what I would like to do.

Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Quote Originally Posted by perrymk View Post
    I would like a used Katadyn Hiker Pro filter cartridge for a project. Basically I want to see if I can use the Hiker pump with a Sawyer filter cartridge but need the screw on part from the Hiker filter cartridge. I have the Hiker pump. It will require some other jury rigging but I'd like to try. I have attached a Sawyer to a different pump but like the compactness of the Hiker Pro. I could buy a new Katadyn Hiker Pro filter cartridge but those are $50 and I'm hoping someone has a used one they'd part with for the cost of shipping, maybe in a Small Flat Rate Box for $7.20. Think of it as recycling.

Thank you.
    I like the way you think...
    Though wouldn't you need the Katadyn be free style? Or are you cracking open the sawyer so it's exposed?

Assuming I'm thinking the way you are here... I'm picturing suspending the filter inside the body with the output rigged to the output of the torn up Hiker Pro cartridge.

I've been assuming that at some point here they would port over the filter tech the way you are suggesting (or offer a 'be free' sized hiker). Maybe about 2/3 the size or so. Many trips I'd consider an 8 ounce pump filter with a be-free/sawyer membrane style filter. They just haven't seemed to put two and two together. That hiker has long been my favorite pump model since Pur owned it.

There are plenty of places in the flatlands where having the pump is the best way to get water... not all of us hike where there are running streams or convenient springs to fill our bottle.

Anywho... providing I remember to do it. Let me see if I can dig out my Hiker. It's been long enough since I ran water through it that I'd likely swap the filter anyway as a precaution.
    If I can find it I'll send it along. If you don't hear from me in a bit or Tipi doesn't turtle one out shoot me a reminder PM.

It's easy enough to swap out the paper cartridge on a Coghlan's water filter with a Sawyer mini but I'd like something more compact and a little less floppy, for lack of a better word. I'm pretty sure I can put a mini in a Katadyn (mine is actually an original Pur) pump body with minimal modification. At least I'll entertain myself trying.

sawyer pump.jpg

++ New Posts ++