WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Best 1+ tent? (Looking for a 1 person tent that can handle squeezing in a 2nd person)

On the AT, I mainly backpack alone and prefer to sleep in shelters. For a few days a year, my husband joins me, and we focus on staying in shelters or hostels; however, that might not always be possible. For this reason, I want to get a 1+ tent that will shelter us both if needed - in a "squeeze." My old Rainbow tarptent could have done this, but it is now beyond its lifetime...

Note: in flatlander Michigan, we have a two-person tent that serves us well on the Northcountry trail. However, I want something lighter weight for the times that it is just me lugging it up the mountains on the AT.

Suggestions?

I heard the new Tarptent is cool.. Others???? (looking for a combination of weight savings, performance and durability).

Thanks!

Is the Duplex our answer? Or is there another 1+ tent?

Duplex is a pretty great option for what you describe.

I would actually consider most 2 person tents to be a good 1 person tent, or in other words to me most 2 person tents are really only for 2 people in a jam. 1 person tents are like coffins.

I had the Copper Spur 2 and that was a nice 1 person with my gear - I loved it and it's pretty light for being freestanding with poles but I'm pretty sure that's not what your looking for.
    NoDoz
    nobo 2018 March 10th - October 19th
    -
    I'm just one too many mornings and 1,000 miles behind

Quote Originally Posted by LazyLightning View Post
    I would actually consider most 2 person tents to be a good 1 person tent, or in other words to me most 2 person tents are really only for 2 people in a jam. 1 person tents are like coffins.
    Agreed.

I would look into a new TarpTent or the Duplex. For 2 people, you want dual side entries with vestibules. Several of the TT models have been updated, plus a few in DCF/cuben fiber.

One of the good things about a TT is 2 people can share the weight on most of them, while the Duplex is one piece.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by LazyLightning View Post

I had the Copper Spur 2 and that was a nice 1 person with my gear - I loved it and it's pretty light for being freestanding with poles but I'm pretty sure that's not what your looking for.
    I too found the Copper Spur UL2 to be an excellent 1 person tent. Two people (without gear) can fit in it, but only if you are both using a regular width (20") sleeping pad.
    I use the large Thermarest Xlite, and you can NOT fit that and a regular width pad.

Leonidas

Gossamer Gear the two might work as well. A bit heavier than the Duplex but $210 less. Weighs 29 oz. $389
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

You can share the weight of any tent ever made...
    Anyway, the new Rainbow still has the floor that can expand to take 2 x 20" mats and has a few neat extra features added to the first couple of versions.
    Higher bathtub floor, better ventilation, removable cross strut and higher waterhead rating for the fly , a bit heavier however.
    For a lot more dollars you can get for less weight the new StratoSpire Li.
    That takes one 20" mat and 1 x 25" as standard , so it is a two person shelter but lighter than most.
    I think that it is a better design than some.....

franco@tarptent

Last edited by Franco; 01-07-2019 at 23:56.

Look at the Dupe all guyed out on ZP and in the vast majority of on line pics. What do you notice in the choice of CS's? Larger more open sites? That's because the Dupe looks best on those sites because it has a rather expansive guyed out print.

Quote Originally Posted by shelb View Post
    For a few days a year, my husband joins me...we have a two-person tent that serves us well on the Northcountry trail...Suggestions?
    Yeah. For a few days a year, your husband can carry the two-person tent.

Our daughter is preparing for a European LD hike this year, and she's facing the very same tent dilemma.
    She would need a single tent for most of the hike (or none at all in some countries, as there are no backcountry campgrounds, and stealthing is illegal), but there will be some days when she'll be joined by one of us.

The best advice I could give her is, to get an UL dual tent which would be perfect for the single part of the trip, and a second person could squeeze in occasionally, but if me or my wife would join her for 1-2 weeks, we would carry our own tent anyway.

There are not many UL dual tents out there that are wide enough for two standard sleeping pads, not to speak about comfort for two persons.
    My MSR Hubba Hubba NX (and that is one of the bigger UL-duals) fits two Thermarest ProLite only if we place them head-to-toe.

Images

We got a "2 person" Zpacks Hexamid Twin for our Long Trail thru hike. It was a tight squeeze for two, but it ended up working just fine as we only camped in it about half the nights on the trail. I've been using it as a solo tent ever since and it's great for that.

The Zpacks Duplex is not much heavier or larger, and with two doors would be easier to use with two people. These tents are not cheap, though.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

One more to add:
    Most double walled tents can be setup with just the rainfly and a groundsheet, thus providing much more space inside.
    I could do this for all my tents, the old Salewa Sierra Leone, the MSR Hubba Hubba NX, and the Exped Venus 2 Extreme.

So if its just for some protection against dew and an occasional rain event, this should work.
    If you need serious protection against bugs, heavy winds and rain, I doubt it would make you comfortable.

The Big Agnes Fly Creek 2 works well for me as a 1 person tent and would do well for an occasional two person tent. The one thing I don't like about the tent is the front opening entrance. That's solved with the new Big Agnes Tiger Wall 2 tent. Basically the same tent with two side opening doors. These are true double wall tents with flys that can be used separately as tarps. I agree with Dogwood with the space needed to put up some of these UL tents. I have a UL tarp that needs about twice the space to set up as the Fly Creek 2. The Fly Creek 2 is currently 349.95 at REI and the Tiger Wall 2 is currently 399.95 at REI. May be cheaper at other vendors.

I used an SS2 for its entire life like this. I enjoyed the 1 person space but I could squeeze 2 in it if need be. Now I have the Duplex which I personally consider to be a 1 person tent.
    When I am going to be sharing tent space on the trail I carry my Cloudburst 3 or Hilleberg.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Images

LightHeart Gear SoLong 6 is a great one person tent and easily fits 2 people. Lots of people use it as a 2 person tent.

Images

oops - here's the link to the SoLong 6

You have all provided great information! I will use this to do more research! Thank you!!!

Oh, OwenM... LOVED your comment!

Well, you didn't say if YOU needed a new tent, so that seemed like the simplest solution. Definitely the cheapest!

Journal Entries

Look at Big Sky International.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++