WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default February AZT Section

Hello,

I'm looking to do about 1.5 week section of the AZT late February, can anyone recommend a particular section? I'd prefer a section that:

1. Can be done late February
    2. Has better views
    3. Isn't too technical for February, willing to carry crampons and an ice axe
    4. Preferably has public transit or shuttles
    5. Doesn't require water caching

If anyone can recommend a section I would really appreciate it, as I need to go on vacation soon and would prefer a hiking vacation. Otherwise, if you can recommend another trail/section that works as well.

Thanks,
    J-M
    Last edited by J-M; 01-09-2019 at 23:32.

Garlic
    Images

There are southern desert sections that will be free of snow, with great hiking and views, but they're remote and access will be difficult or expensive. And much will depend on your ability to carry water. If you can carry 40 miles worth, you don't need to cache water, for instance.

Best bets are probably north of Mt Lemmon to Pine. The Superstitions and Mazatzals are near Phoenix, free of snow, bracketed by major roadways with hitching or shuttle/transit possibilities. Hwy 60 near Superior is probably best for transit.

Contact the ATA for status of water caches.

Hello..As garlic08 said, there is an easy access off route 60 near Globe, AZ. Fly into Phoenix Sky Harbor...I will be glad to pick you up and shuttle you to the trail. You would Hike southbound. Water isn't much of an issue with rain we are having and still lower temps. You will have to decide your exit strategy, which is depended on mileage. An easy off might be I 10 at mile 110. That's about 200 miles...easy on, easy off and a lot of miles in 10 - 12 days. The Superstitions north are also real possibilities up to pine makes it about 160 miles from the Globe entry. Post here or PM, I am an AZT Trail Angle....always ready to help.
    Sailor1

++ New Posts ++