Default February Week Long SoCal Section

Hello,

I'm looking to do about 1.5 week section of the Southern portion of the PCT late February, can anyone recommend a particular section? I'd prefer a section that:

1. Can be done late February
    2. Has better views
    3. Isn't too technical for February, willing to carry crampons and an ice axe
    3.1 Not willing to do class 3 or 4 scrambles on snow and ice though
    4. Preferably has public transit or shuttles to trail heads
    5. Does not require water caching

If anyone can recommend a section I would really appreciate it, as I need to go on vacation soon and would prefer a hiking vacation. Otherwise, if you can recommend another trail/section that works as well.

Thanks,
    J-M

Images

Why not start at Campo and hike north to Hwy 74 (mile 152). That should be about a 10 day hike without too much elevation. Hike over to the Paradise Cafe and enjoy a great burger and beer to celebrate your section. Make a friend there and maybe you can Yogi a ride into Idyllwild. There is a bus that will take you to Campo, here is a description...

http://sandiegopct.com/starting-on-your-own/

I understand that there are buses that will take you out of Idyllwild, but I do not have the specifics on that.
    “For of all sad words of tongue or pen,
    the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier

There are really only 2 places you can do a trip that long without having to skip around the sort of snow that would make you nervous.

Mexican border up to Hwy 74; or stop at Warner Springs if you don't want to or can't handle at 15-17 mile days. There use to be a bus that took you within a few miles from the border at Campo,Ca once a day. Not sure about it now. At Hwy 74, you can hitch/Uber down into Palm Springs, CA.

After Hwy 74 you start to climb into the San Jacintos with snow near Idyllwild. After leaving the snow in the San Jacintos, you are only out of it a few days before your back in it at Big Bear. After leaving the snow at Big Bear, you are back in it a few days later again near Wrightwood. Somewhere after Wrightwood, you are finally out of the snow for a nice long section.

Somewhere south of Aqua Dulce,CA in the western San Gabriel Mtns where the elevation is below the snow line; maybe where Angeles Forest Hwy crosses the trail would be a good spot to start. You could then hike up to Tehaccapi, CA which use to have bus service. I'd email the trail Angels in Aqua Dulce (Google Hiker Heaven) about how to get to Aqua Dulce with public transportation and then try Uber to get the trail further south if the Saufleys don't know anyone who would shuttle you that early in the season. Worse case, you can start in Aqua Dulce.

Problem with north of Tehaccapi is you are to isolated from anywhere until Walker's Pass but you'd likely hit some snow before you get there.

Those guys give good advice. Section E would be ideal in February, IMHO. North of Tehachapi you'd definitely hit heavy snow in the Piutes.

Currently less in vogue in this typical modern give it to me in three sentences or less soundbites only considered Twitter, FB, WB , YouTube gotta go go go, what PCT App are you using cookie cutter, paint(hike) by the numbers hiking culture of the masses but none the less can provide significantly important details for a Feb PCT SoCal 1.5 wk hike my first choice to access info pertinent to the OP's hike would be the WILDERNESS PRESS PCT SoCal BOOK. http://pct.wildernesspress.com/the-books/ Additionally, before going anywhere or planning deeply any further any PCT Feb 1.5 wk jaunt with the OP's desires I;d combine that source with pulling up and reviewing all the PCT's southern 700 miles on Halfmile's free maps. HF offers short notes on his topos that can apply to achieving the OP's goals and hiking parameters. HF's maps also contain elev profiles significant to the OP's Feb desires.

With no intent to disparage any previous posters and info offered, those Wilderness Press PCT books have been a gem for many including myself doing non cookie cutter PCT hikes. They were compiled after much research and through the efforts of many sources who contributed their long term PCT wisdom.

Following for my future. I would like to see myself be able to take advantage of some winter holiday schedules from a vacation perspective if the southern trail will allow it. looks like high in the 60's this week down in Campo
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post

With no intent to disparage any previous posters and info offered, those Wilderness Press PCT books have been a gem for many including myself doing non cookie cutter PCT hikes. They were compiled after much research and through the efforts of many sources who contributed their long term PCT wisdom.
    Absolutely! Being an old dinosaur they are my primary source for info.

++ New Posts ++