WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

One thing you all have to notice is that TNF we use now is not the SAME TNF from 3 years ago. Does anybody remember they went bankrupt and all the designers went to Mtn Hardwear. TNF today is owned by Vanity Fair who makes Lee and Wrangler Jeans. From knowing that this is not a company that really cares about the outdoor comunity as the old TNF did. A gear company that boasts they make gear that can take you to the top of Everest through the harshest environments(including an AT Thru Hike) If they say their gear can make it and it deosn't that means they cannot stand behind their gear and are false advertising.
    "Sometimes you have to make a clean break from the past to make a new beginning"

Yes, I know I mis-spelled "Hamster"...
    Images

I'd say that $200+ for a backpack that costs $4 or $5 to make is crazy if the company does not stand behind the wear and tear of the product. The reason why a $200 backpack sells for $230 the next year isn't because some people returned a pack that grenaded, it's simply because they know people will pay that much to have "The North Face" on their left breast. Same reason why a cotton "Nike" T-Shirt sells for $25, and the same logo-less shirt costs $3.99 on the next rack.

By the way, I use craftsman tools almost exclusively too, so I'm not knocking the brand or anything. Just that people pay more because they think they are getting a higher standard. I'm sure TNF isn't hurting so bad as to not replace a pack they made over a 1500% profit on. It also reflects their attitude towards their customers. If you advertise that it's shackleton worthy, than have some balls and stand behind your preaching, or step down.

Nonetheless, I own a few TNF products, but only use one of them now. The rest are pretty much retired except for car camping due to the lack of trust I have in their abilities and construction.
    "A man builds a fine house; and now he has a master, and a task for life; he is to furnish, watch, show it, and keep it in repair, the rest of his days".
    ...Ralph Waldo Emerson

GA-ME Someday (Maybe '06?)
    Many Miles in Massachusetts & Vermont...

Images

I agree with that comment about Sears. I bought a treadmill at Sears that I used for seven years. It had a few thousand miles on it. I did have a maintenance agreement on it ($70 annually).

Once it got to the point that it was "beyond repair," Sears replaced it with a more modern model with no questions asked. Same thing with my projection TV.

No complaints here.

Default Warranties

JanSport, Craftsman, LLBean and LandsEnd

I have had great customer service with these companies.

Was given a daypack from Jansport many years ago. The seam along the zipper came unraveled in less than a year. I called them to ask what their "lifetime warranty" meant...they said to send it to them and they would fix it. They sent me a new one, it went about 2 years before it did the same thing...they sent me another one. They had changed the design...it is still in use more than 12 years later. I have several other of their products including a different daypack that also had a problem and when I sent it back they reinforced/improved it.

Have always taken in damaged Craftsman tools and they handed me a new one...no questions.

Have returned numerous things to LLBean and LE. Most recently my 7 year old son's school uniform pants (talk about some wear and tear) came apart at the waist band...they sent us the pants immediately with a postage paid return bag.

Needless to say, I will continued to buy from these companies. I feel that the quality of their products and warranty. I personally look for companies that have a good warranty and customer service. It says to me that they offer good products and are willing to stand behind their products.

On the other hand, I wouldn't ask a company to replace a boys school uniform pants because they had a hole in the knee. That would be normal wear and tear.

Images

So has TNF turned into anothe Yuppie name brand for fashion clothing and gear that give the owner "That rugged outdoor look" and use the past real world product reputation as just a marketing ploy?
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Default Product Warrantys

I have broken 2 Craftsman tools. Took both back to a Sears store and walked out with free replacement, no questions asked. TNF-Replaced a sleeping bag that I purchased in late 70's with a new one that was of inferior quality. I agree - they have sold out. Anything advertised to go to Mt. Everst should be replaced without question if it wears out prematurely.
    John Carnahan
    [email protected]

Images

The thing is that people are right when they say I should think of companies who do replace older and worn stuff for free as better companies than most, but not expect it from every company. I did expect it from TNF, though, and I don't need a brand new pack, just a few straps replaced. Though they did look at it, and said it's too much damage to be fixed easily. Don't know, maybe they were some "basic" straps that replacing them was like replacing the whole back-system or whatever.
    Anyway, I know that on the trail companies are great, mostly. I had my Lowa boots pretty much ruined by the time I got to NY, and I didn't expect anything from Lowa. 1300 miles of walking can do that to a boot. They also have a lifetime warrenty - only for the lifetime of the product. But talking to them on the phone, they "found" with me something wrong in the boot, that can be attributed to their making, and just sent me a brand new pair to my next town stop. Now I was really impressed. And this is how I repay them - I tell everyone about their good attitude towards hikers. Heavy boots - not for the ultra-lighter - but a great company!
    Amtrak, From Israel
    AT GA->ME 02

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++