Default section South of Salt Springs Rec Area

What can you tell me about this section?

I'm thinking about heading out there for a one nighter some time fairly soon. Figured I'd probably park at Salt Springs...if the gate is even open...and head South. I recon I'd probably get maybe to the Northern end of Hopkins Prairie.

Is there much along that section interesting to see?....Any especially nice camp spots?.... or maybe a different section that would be much better to consider? I don't want to drive any further South really...in fact for just one night I'd like to find something closer to the Jacksonville area to reduce driving....but I'd also like to make the most of the one night opportunity.

Nice area to hike. May be water in ponds along the way but is hard to access due to "shoe stealing" mud. I've used Carl (352-427-2990) several times for shuttles to keep from backtracking.

It's a mix of hardwood/scrub until you get to the north end of Hopkins prairie. There is a campsite about 10ish minutes south of the beginning of the prairie area with a pond. There's a large-ish fire ring there amid tall pines, hard to miss. There are spots to camp back by the pond but I prefer being out at the site right next to the prairie for views. There is a lot of water out there right now so that pond should be pretty full.

The only thing I do not like about camping here is that the country boys drive down, on the other side of the prairie, and car camp most weekends. It can be noisy. You could always drive about 10 more minutes down 19 to the forest road 46 (there a Pat's trailhead sign there), turn right and go about two miles to the trail head parking lot. From there, head south on the FT into the Juniper Prairie Wilderness. Hidden pond is a little over a one hour hike and there are several places to camp on the way if you don't feel like staying at HP.

++ New Posts ++