WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Big Storm

Quote Originally Posted by Puddlefish View Post
    One of my college roommates was from Chicopee. From how he described it, it will be crime ridden and covered in beautiful fresh powder.
    All I know is that we would occasionally get snowfall of 12”-15”-18” without naming the storm nor using any scary words to define the impending doom. The big storms often arrived in March.
    Oh. I was a bike commuter before it was Green and Fashionable.
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    All I know is that we would occasionally get snowfall of 12”-15”-18” without naming the storm nor using any scary words to define the impending doom. The big storms often arrived in March.
    Oh. I was a bike commuter before it was Green and Fashionable.
    Wayne
    Yeah, I don't know any normal human who's amused by naming winter storms. Seems like a goofy marketing ploy to create scary click-bait headlines to suckers, and sell advertising. It's just winter, and winter has snow storms.

At least they stopped calling every one "the storm of the century". Seems we had a lot of those...
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Its going up to 80 and and mostly cloudy in Nairobi today. No rain predicted.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

About a foot and a half forecast here in the Mohawk River valley. I'm one of the people who canceled a hike this weekend - because the crud that Elf is getting is the same in Harriman, where we were going.

8 °F and snowing at the moment. Next few days are supposed to have lows approaching -10 °F. and thereś supposed to be wind behind the storm. I might wear my facemask and goggles to walk to work on Tuesday.

I'm down in the valley. I'm sure both temperature and snowfall are worse up in the hills.

(For those that inhabit milder climates - a foot and a half of snow isn't that unusual around here, we get a storm that big in a lot of winters.)
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

We're in the middle of the storm now and the wind is howling. Hard to say how much snow we've gotten as the wind is blowing it sideways into drifts. Plus it's cold, 11F. Windchill has to be well below zero. Definitely don't want to be out in this storm. Yep, I guess it's winter alright.

<sorry, wrong thread>
    Last edited by Leo L.; 01-20-2019 at 11:55.

Journal Entries
    Images

Well, SW PA survived the blizzard of 2019.

My snow gage shows 1” depth.

974833CE-123D-4564-932F-55E8475FB760.jpeg

I braved the elements this morning to shovel.

58020A21-F4C2-4F80-B300-15ED2BFC1D02.jpg

I’ve got my heavier base layer on in the house because it is 22* outside.

76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

About a foot and a half here so far in the Mohawk River valley. Which is really no big deal around here.

I was out this morning to run the snowblower. I think I'll wait to do it again until the snow stops - it's still snowing, and I'm lazy.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

-15F on Monday. (Wind Chill.) No Rain or Snow here S.C. PA. Talk about Cold!! This is one time I'm not glad to be on the trail.

Some rain. bit breezy high of 35 low almost 20 degrees lower tonight clear it was crisp today will be crisp outside tonight clear skies mean cold no cloud cover might be a good night for astronomy

Typical Atalnta region winter weather for Jan wed will be back to a 60 high but right at freezing that night

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

17 inches at my house, 1 below, not much wind here

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Wayne
    Agreed with the over-hype in some of these weather events.

In the US we have named winter storms since the 1700s but usually following the storm itself, like the vast winter storm in 1888 was named the "Schoolhouse Blizzard" in the Great Plains States and the "Blizzard of '88" in the Northeastern US. In 2011/2012, The Weather Channel, a commercial cable outlet having a significant viewership started naming winter storms.

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) and the National Weather Service has requested TWC not to name winter storms for a number of reasons. But the primary driver of the TWC winter storm naming process being creation of a program marketing platform that boosted viewership and subsequently advertising rates and revenues during the particular weather event was too powerful to ignore.

It does seem a bit much to have a storm of 8-inches to 12-inches of snow predicted, which are fairly typical in southern New England, especially when only 3-inches materializes. However, TWC has done a good job of conflating marketing and science in how they produce these events, which has led to many local TV stations following their own naming schemes. So, be prepared for a lot more of this stuff. "Heavy Dew - Ivan" is not too far away.

Oh Boy, it's warmed up to -3 from a low of -7. Don't think it will get up to 0 today. But it used to go to -20 and -30 around here on a regular bases and stay that way for weeks this time of year. So, a few days of this isn't bad.

I'm about 2/3ds of the way of clearing 2-3 feet of dense, wind packed snow off my driveway. This stuff would make a great igloo. It comes out in blocks. Toes were getting a little cold, so time to drink some hot chocolate and warm up a little before tackling the rest of it.

Maybe tomorrow I'll see if I can find my snowshoes which I left out by the door and now under a 4 foot snow drift and try to break some trail before the rain comes.

The kicker is it's going to warm up to 39 and rain on Thursday, then go right back to single digits. Fun you bet.

Just pulled a trip during those dates---in the mountains of TN/NC on the BMT near Sled Runner Gap and Six Mile Gap---

My trip report is here and getting organized as we speak---

https://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backp...t-of-Darkness/

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Just pulled a trip during those dates---in the mountains of TN/NC on the BMT near Sled Runner Gap and Six Mile Gap---

My trip report is here and getting organized as we speak---

https://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backp...t-of-Darkness/
    Did a trip that weekend as well to to test some winter gear for Vermont trip president week. Had snow flurries on the hike up got up to where I was going got camp set up an hour later sat. Afternoon started raining rained 34 degrees rain all night till sun morning, then the wind d came with the cold front sun night got wild up on the mountain mon morning had 7 ambient and -15 wind chill.

-15F here S.C. PA!! Thursday doesn't look any better. -15F or worse! Drove in the White Out of year today. (Near Reading.) Holy Cow was that bad. I hope no one is planning to be on the trail anytime soon, right?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++