WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Quote Originally Posted by steady123 View Post
    I'd be afraid of waking up and the canister is "gone". What about attaching 25 ft of cord tied to a tree?
    Aside from the possibility of having a bear tangled up in cord, it may also give the bear something to grip, and drag your canister further than he would normally bother with. If Mr. Bear finds you canister, he tries to get in for a while, gives up and looks for an easier meal - it's sized so he can't fit it in his mouth. The worries are overblown, I've been using bear vaults for years for hiking and for food caches... it's never been touched.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    I put them in the woods nearby, maybe 100 feet away. Best place is a flat area or depression with plenty of logs, rocks, blowdowns, etc. so the canister won't be able to roll downhill if a bear disturbs it. Mine have never been touched. Don't leave it in a stuff sack or pack, or attach anything to it such that a bear might be able to grab it and run off with it. A bear won't get in, but they can drag it so far that you have a hard time finding it.
    +1 the key is a location that a bear is unlikely to be able to intentionally or accidentally relocate your canister so that it is hard to find.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Images

I like having it within sight distance and with some loose change thrown in to alert me when its being rolled around - I like to watch. At least that way I know what direction it might get rolled.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Quote Originally Posted by GaryM View Post
    So do you keep them next to you? 100 yards away? Hang in a tree? Tossed in a bush? I think I have done all those but still have no idea what is best.
    I misread the title as "beer kegs" and I was going to suggest putting them in a 55 gallon garbage can filled with ice in the shade. I was thinking that you are getting ready for a very generous hiker feed.....
    Time is but the stream I go afishin' in.
    Thoreau

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by perdidochas View Post
    I misread the title as "beer kegs" and I was going to suggest putting them in a 55 gallon garbage can filled with ice in the shade. I was thinking that you are getting ready for a very generous hiker feed.....
    You’re in luck! Many models serve dual purpose!

E19A56F2-166A-4A69-964B-575054A8F0C0.jpeg
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

I had one bat mine around one night in shining rock wilderness area. Someone suggested i put reflective tape on it. The kind you use for trailers in white and red is what i used. Used a flashlight and made it much easier to find in the early am darkness.
    Last edited by fishbone421; 01-28-2019 at 10:53. Reason: Mispelling

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++