WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Info needed on campgrounds for RV along AT

Wife will be hiking and I will be doing support via RV. We're looking for anyone else that has done this or has recommendations for campgrounds along the AT. We are planning to start in the Harpers Ferry area (give or take) and head North first in March 2023, returning to this area after reaching Katahdin and head south. Plans are to park for 2-4 weeks in one location and be able to pick up and drop off my wife at intersections and trailheads ever 3-5 days.

Anyone else ever done this or something similar? I'm concerned about cost because most sites I see charge anywhere from $65 to $130 a night. At those prices, I may as well be in a hotel.

I do understand there are places that let you park overnight without issue, such as some WalMarts and Cabellas, but they are not in every town and then the issues of water, sewer dump and electricity come into play.

So, I'm all ears. Who's done this, in part or whole?

If you have an iPad (doesn’t work on Android tablets) the best map based app I have found for finding RV campgrounds is the Allstays Camp & RV app. Campgrounds are shown on the interactive map, and you can touch on one and pull up information about the campground, including web links, photos, phone numbers, hookups, amenities, etc.. You can also sort by campground type (state parks, USFS, USACE, independent, etc.). Unfortunately the AT is not shown on the map. A good map of the AT, combined with the Allstays app might work.

https://www.allstays.com/apps/camprv.htm

We are doing a version of this this year. The best thing to do is to find a place you can stay for a month and get a monthly rate. We are currently in Hiawassee and paying $540/month with veteran discount. It's not the most convenient but live and learn. We head to Damascus next. I think I would look for a place in/near Franklin NC instead but not 100% on that, instead of Hiawassee. We like to stay in 1 place for a month at a time.

There will be places in VA where you cannot get a discount by the month and will pay $85 and up per day, probably the same in other places as well. You can try to get reservations for state campgrounds. Those are usually less expensive but you need to do it early as they fill up fast.
    I use campgroundreviews.com to check out campgrounds. READ the reviews for sure!

We also will have some Boondockers Welcome stays (up to 5 days at a time and free if you don't use their hookups)and Harvest Host stays. We aren't going all the way north, actually just going as far north as northern VA with a month diversion to DE before we head back to TX for the winter.

Good luck!
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Thanks. We'll definitely take a look at this app.

This book might interest you

Exploring The Appalachian Trail By Rv, Sort Of....... https://www.amazon.com/dp/1441425799...XWX3QAGS84ZT2C

++ New Posts ++