WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    There's no wrong way to eat a Rhesus! Monkeyboy's Avatar

Had lunch there on 7-4-07.

Water source is .5 mile down trail, but acceptable quality.

Otherwise clean and bug free. Privy was okay.

Images

Stayed there two weeks ago. Brutal wind, straight into the shelter, blowing rain under the overhang. Kept up all night. We put a tarp and poncho over the opening, covered all the cracks between the floorboards we could. No mice . Probably smart enough to stay out of there on a night like that.
    Sailor

Quote Originally Posted by RBrownkatz View Post
    Stayed there two weeks ago. Brutal wind, straight into the shelter, blowing rain under the overhang. Kept up all night. We put a tarp and poncho over the opening, covered all the cracks between the floorboards we could. No mice . Probably smart enough to stay out of there on a night like that.
    Seeing the register tube on the side wall reminded me of the trail magic we got there Easter morning 2006 - someone was kind enough to leave some plastic easter eggs filled with jelly beans in a little velour pouch. It was pretty cool.

We had a lot of wind that night too, but no blowing rain. I was hammocking and after my tarp blew free of a stake the second time I got up and crashed in the shelter for the rest of the night.

Good times. A miserable night on the trail is still better than a day at the office.

Quote Originally Posted by RBrownkatz View Post
    real dumb spot for a shelter

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    real dumb spot for a shelter
    Built for the view alone, is my guess.

Hung my hammock there at lunchtime in March of '06 when it was unseasonably warm. Something bit the bottom of my big toe and gave me quite a welt. Later I noticed a small critter that looked like a blackfly. They aren't supposed to be down there in Georgia, are they?
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    Built for the view alone, is my guess.
    most likely. the old shelter site a mile south of blue mtn. was fine. no reason to tear it down

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeyboy View Post
    Had lunch there on 7-4-07.

Water source is .5 mile down trail, but acceptable quality.

Otherwise clean and bug free. Privy was okay.
    you can always hit the water source on the AT about a quarter mile before the shelter.

its a nice spring on your left, about 10 yards downhill on your way up ole blue.

Registered User Dances with Mice's Avatar
    Images

most likely. the old shelter site a mile south of blue mtn. was fine. no reason to tear it down
    Quote Originally Posted by hperry View Post
    you can always hit the water source on the AT about a quarter mile before the shelter. its a nice spring on your left, about 10 yards downhill on your way up ole blue.
    I think y'all are both talking about the same place. The old shelter site, downhill just south of Blue, is today a great campsite with water. I've stayed there several times. It's out of the wind and is a lot more comfortable place to tent than the area around the shelter. The shelter was moved, not torn down, years ago to give the area a chance to recover since it was getting bombed. And that worked, it's really nice now.

There is a small spring near the shelter site but it's probably dry now.
    You never turned around to see the frowns
    On the jugglers and the clowns
    When they all did tricks for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Dances with Mice View Post
    The shelter was moved, not torn down, years ago to give the area a chance to recover since it was getting bombed. And that worked, it's really nice now.
    moved to where?

Registered User Dances with Mice's Avatar
    Images

moved to where?
    Blue Mtn. I heard it was the same shelter but I don't really know. I wasn't there.
    You never turned around to see the frowns
    On the jugglers and the clowns
    When they all did tricks for you.

Blue Mtn. I heard it was the same shelter but I don't really know. I wasn't there.
    nope. not the same one at all.

The old Rocky Knob Shelter was built in 1960. Like LW said; not the same.

Stayed at the tents sites just south of Blue Mt shelter then stopped in for bfast the next morning. The tent site is very nice and flat with lots of grass and leaves for cushioning if you are on the ground The wind was blowing 20mph and right into the shelter. No table to cook at and as if you could bc of the wind. Pretty view but shelters are too noisy with the snoring and mice. Nice place to take a break.

Default Distance from Blue Mountain Shelter to town of Helen

Wanting to see if a stop into Helen is feasible. Anyone know how far Helen is from Blue Mountain Shelter?

Thanks,
    Sharon

2.2 miles to the road then 9 miles to town on the road

Images

Stayed there 7-14-2010. Shelter was nice...Pretty clean. Privy in bad shape though...do not go there!!!! It is full to the TOP and flies are really bad... Water was pretty low, but we managed to get water.

Quote Originally Posted by B.B. View Post
    Privy in bad shape though...do not go there!!!! It is full to the TOP and flies are really bad...
    I don't use privies anymore, so that's funny

Was at Blue Mountain Shelter today and it was generally clean, except for a large tarp that used to hang in the shelter opening that is now torn to pieces. Which got me to wondering, who brings these huge tarps to the shelter? There are 2 at this one. Surely the local trail club, with their LNT practices, is not adding tarps to shelters, are they?

This shelter does have several flat places to tent near it for those who prefer to tent closer to the shelter than the good tenting site that's a half mile south of the shelter.
    Life Member: ATC, ALDHA, Superior Hiking Trail Association

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++