WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Former Admin

Default Blue Mountain Shelter (GA)

Info, questions, comments, experiences (good or bad) regarding - Blue Mountain Shelter

Past/Present hikers - what can future hikers expect here? Have any good stories or memories from here?

Future hikers - any questions?

Related Links: ?

Stats: ?

Addicted Hiker and Donating Member Hammock Hanger's Avatar
    Images

The sunrise from this area is beautiful!! I'll try and post a pic. HH
    Hammock Hanger -- Life is my journey and I'm surely not rushing to the "summit"...:D

http://www.gcast.com/u/hammockhanger/main

During wet/cold weather this shelter is BRUTAL! I heard rumors that GATC has re oriented the opening of the shelter to provide more protection from the prevailing winds, but I haven't been that way since they are alleged to have done it. Blue skin shelter would not be an inappropriate name for this place...not one of my favorites...EXCEPT for the views, which can be spectacular.

Hacksaw

This shelter is mouse hell. I have heard mice in most of the shelters, but they make a great effort to hit you as many times with their trash during the night. I swept the floor before I threw my bag down one night and swept it the next morning. I had a large pile of their trash by the time I was done. They will run through the tarp too and chew holes through it. They leave their trash in the tarp too. I have stayed there twice and both times I had mouse problems.

-Squirrel

Images

I agree with squirrel. That was the worst place I've ever been for active mice.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

There is a campsite (site of a former shelter) that is about a mile or so before this shelter if you are heading north. A great spot to stop at night as an alternative to this shelter.

GA-ME 3/5/02 -8/14/02
    Images

We stopped here for a snack and noticed the abundance of WIND..and the registers onfirmend that people who had slept there had rigged up tents and tarps over the entrance to help shield the wind... nice views, though
    "It's a dangerous business, going out your door...if you don't keep your feet, there's no telling where you might be swept off to."-The Hobbit

Images

When I was there in May, some kind person had rigged up a semi-permanent wind break out of a large blue plastic tarp, complete with system to pull it up and out of the way during windless periods. Very well done.

I spent about 30 minutes at this shelter yesterday (March 2nd). Water is nearby and flowing nicely. But the wind was horrible! I froze my tail off. There was some tarp-like material stuff under the floor so I guess you can create a make-shift windbreak.

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

The water supply for Blue Mountain shelter is on the uphill trail towards the shelter. So, if it's been a long day and you're not looking forward to hiking back down hill and then back up again be sure to grab your water on your way to the shelter.
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Images

Has anyone EVER been at Blue Mountain when the wind wasn't blowing??
    GA - NJ 2001; GA - ME 2003; GA - ME 2005; GA - ME 2007; PCT 2006

A wise man changes his mind, a fool never will.
    —SPANISH PROVERB

I have been there three times when the wind was not blowing. But the mice were always active.

GAME 2000
    Images
    Last edited by Youngblood; 08-13-2003 at 09:16.

Arrow Getting the Shelter oriented

If you want the Blue Mountain Shelter in Georgia re-oriented away from the wind, write emails or letters to the GATC with copies to the ATC. The more complaints by Thrus and Section Hikers, the better the odds are that something will be done.

For some reason, the GATC doesn't take action on requests until the ATC gets many many letters about certain situations.

Cases in point:

1- The GATC still has not put a double blaze on the rocks at Blood Mountain where the Trail takes a sharp LEFT. The only blaze points straight and MANY hikers end up at the bottom of a rock cliff before realizing they just might possibly be going in the wrong direction. MANY have complained, nothing's been done.

2- Coming off Cowrock, assuming the hiker stops and looks sharp left for the blaze that is TOO high, the trail zigs and zags (don't try this in the dark) but there are NO double blazes on the trees where it zigs or zags. HOWEVER, the GATC did cut some trees and bushes near the base of the hill as it enters Tesnatee Gap (or Testatee Gap as you will) so that the hiker can see the nice blaze to their left on the other side of the parking area, only after many people wrote about not seeing the white blaze but looking straight ahead from the Trail, seeing the dip in the berm and thinking that the AT traveled in that direction.

3- At Hog Pen Gap, the GATC did place a SECOND post with a white blaze to the left of the Trail Head (going NoBo) along the side of the road headed up to Hog Pen Gap and a double blaze on the post with the "hikers" metal sign for SoBos. But this occured only after a number of early season hikers hiked to the right looking for the AT instead of hiking to the left.

In that last case, I was able to rescue a hiker a couple of years ago who had hiked 45 minutes to the right (wrong direction) in 25* weather with a wind chill of 5* -- she was hypothermic and I insisted she come home with me. She hadn't eaten since breakfast, either. Her mother was most appreciative and was one of the people who wrote the GATC and the ATC. She nearly lost her daughter to hypothermia because the GATC had not acted on my earlier request to consider a second post and white blaze at that spot.

In ANY State you live in, be sure you send a copy of any correspondence to the Maintaining Club to the ATC.

(Yeah, I'm the Mouth of the South in North Georgia)
    Coosa

GAME 2000
    Images

When I was by there in December, I noticed that they had made some significant changes to the shelter. First, they extended the roof over the front of the shelter to make a covered area. The roof extends downward so it should block some of the wind. Second, they extended the side walls, which should also provide significant improvement to the wind. Third, they had a tarp tucked under the sleeping platform.

I've heard from some Thrus who have used that shelter that the wind and rain STILL blast into the shelter, even with the extensions. The GATC had stated a year or so ago that they were going to re-orient the shelter so that the back would be to the wind. I have no clue, other than the "view" and "lovely sunrise" (when it's not freezing or raining) is the reason they left it as is.

I've been hiking on Blue Mountain when a thunderstorm would bounce between Rocky/Tray Mountains and Blue Mountains and it would not be raining less than a half mile in either direction driving down the Highway at Unicoi Gap.

Coosa
    banana
    My blog, dedicated to my Dad: Chasing the Trail
    Proverbs 4:26 Give careful thought to the paths for your feet and be steadfast in all your ways.
    Hike Your Own Hike

GAME 2000
    Images

Default Re: Getting the Shelter oriented

Originally posted by Coosa
    If you want the Blue Mountain Shelter in Georgia re-oriented away from the wind, write emails or letters to the GATC with copies to the ATC. The more complaints by Thrus and Section Hikers, the better the odds are that something will be done.

For some reason, the GATC doesn't take action on requests until the ATC gets many many letters about certain situations.

Cases in point:

1- The GATC still has not put a double blaze on the rocks at Blood Mountain where the Trail takes a sharp LEFT. The only blaze points straight and MANY hikers end up at the bottom of a rock cliff before realizing they just might possibly be going in the wrong direction. MANY have complained, nothing's been done.

2- Coming off Cowrock, assuming the hiker stops and looks sharp left for the blaze that is TOO high, the trail zigs and zags (don't try this in the dark) but there are NO double blazes on the trees where it zigs or zags. HOWEVER, the GATC did cut some trees and bushes near the base of the hill as it enters Tesnatee Gap (or Testatee Gap as you will) so that the hiker can see the nice blaze to their left on the other side of the parking area, only after many people wrote about not seeing the white blaze but looking straight ahead from the Trail, seeing the dip in the berm and thinking that the AT traveled in that direction.

3- At Hog Pen Gap, the GATC did place a SECOND post with a white blaze to the left of the Trail Head (going NoBo) along the side of the road headed up to Hog Pen Gap and a double blaze on the post with the "hikers" metal sign for SoBos. But this occured only after a number of early season hikers hiked to the right looking for the AT instead of hiking to the left.

In that last case, I was able to rescue a hiker a couple of years ago who had hiked 45 minutes to the right (wrong direction) in 25* weather with a wind chill of 5* -- she was hypothermic and I insisted she come home with me. She hadn't eaten since breakfast, either. Her mother was most appreciative and was one of the people who wrote the GATC and the ATC. She nearly lost her daughter to hypothermia because the GATC had not acted on my earlier request to consider a second post and white blaze at that spot.

In ANY State you live in, be sure you send a copy of any correspondence to the Maintaining Club to the ATC.

(Yeah, I'm the Mouth of the South in North Georgia)
    Coosa
    Coosa,

I have always thought the GATC did a great job maintaining and marking the trail. I don't feel that way about all the trail clubs along the AT. It is unfortunate that the hiker missed the turn. There are times that the visibility drops drastically at Hog Pen Gap and when that happens it can be difficult to see 10 feet in front of you. When it is cold and wet, it is a struggle out there. I too had to stop a couple of thru-hikers on my AT thru-hike that were becoming hypothermal. This was at noon in Maine in August and trail blazes had nothing to do with it (their waterproof jackets weren't and they didn't have anything for their legs or hands). I had to make them stop at the first shelter, get them quickly into their bags and then start a fire with wet wood (yes, it can USUALLY be done if you know how) for them to warm up/dry out by. Hot drinks/food works wonders too. The problem is that when a person gets hypothermal, they sometimes don't make rational decisions and if they are alone they can get in serious trouble.

Youngblood

Well, Youngblood, if it were ONLY one or two hikers, I can understand that maybe it's the Hikers who need the education.

But when it's dozens and dozens of hikers when the weather is "perfect" for hiking or when it's just plain so cold a hiker keeps her head down and watches those white blazes, trusting in those who placed them on rocks and trees or when it's nearly impossible to see blazes on rocks and the blazes on trees are covered with rime-ice or when a hiker has to hike in the dark early in the Thru Season when the days end early in the evening, I kind of think there might be a problem. At least a "small" one.

The GATC does a fair job of keeping the trail maintained. Right now, well a couple weeks ago, there were quite a few miles that were overgrown. With the rain we've had here, no one can keep up with the growth and I recognize that. So no fault on the GATC for not keeping all of the Georgia Trail clear all year round.

They do have good crews of members who seem to enjoy the Saturday Work Trips and they have done much more work on drainage in the past couple of years than the 8 years I was a member. Or was it 7? Who's counting??

I was told (Trail Days 2002) by someone who works at the ATC that no one should hike the AT unless they are expert in Map and Compass. AND that it was EXPECTED that hikers would get lost while hiking the AT.

Benton MacKay is probably turning over in his grave.

Coosa
    My blog, dedicated to my Dad: Chasing the Trail
    Proverbs 4:26 Give careful thought to the paths for your feet and be steadfast in all your ways.
    Hike Your Own Hike

GAME 2000
    Images

Originally posted by Coosa

But when it's dozens and dozens of hikers when the weather is "perfect" for hiking or when it's just plain so cold a hiker keeps her head down and watches those white blazes, trusting in those who placed them on rocks and trees or when it's nearly impossible to see blazes on rocks and the blazes on trees are covered with rime-ice or when a hiker has to hike in the dark early in the Thru Season when the days end early in the evening, I kind of think there might be a problem. At least a "small" one.
    Coosa,

I think we need to stay focused on one type of weather condition, otherwise we will get off on all sorts of tangents. Let's pick "perfect" hiking weather, okay? I think we are both 'well seasoned' and 'well meaning' hikers. I miss turns sometimes because of lack of attention, sometimes because of poor/nonexsisting/hidden markings and sometimes because the terrain is confusing. I think the trail conditions and markings on the Georgia section of the AT are in great shape. I don't think a solid white line painted down the middle of the trail will keep everyone from missing a turn every now and then. When you are heading northbound off the summit of Blood Mountain you are naturally looking off to your right where the vistas are, and it is easy to miss the gradual turn to the left. So what, you will figure it out before you have gone very far, laugh about it, turn around and then find the trail. At road crossings if you don't immediately see a blaze, you pick a direction and walk a few minutes looking for the trail. If you don't find it, you turn around and look in the other direction until you do. If you miss a turn at a switchback or trail re-route it is a little tougher because sometimes you don't know how long it has been since you saw a blaze, but you do the same thing, you back track until you pick up the trail again. I hike the GA section quite often, in both directions, and I still say the GATC does a great job. It is a big area with other intersecting trails and such -- it does however, require some trail savvy... as it should. IF it was 'totally tame', would you enjoy it as much? Some of the excitement in hiking/backpacking is the fact that it is not totally safe, you don't know for sure what you will run into and what you will have to do to handle the situation. To me, that is part of the appeal of hiking/backpacking the AT. "If my grandmother is going to hike the trail, she is going to have to be a tough ole gal".

For what it is worth, I thought the AT in the White Mountains of NH were downright dangerous... but I would/will hike them again, I think.

Youngblood

I passed this shelter in Feb 2003 and didn't spend the night because of the freezing wind and the absolutely amazing amount of mice debris on the shelter floor. Other than the viewa, no reason to stop here.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++