WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: AT Progress Map

Default AT Progress Map

Anybody know of any online maps that can plot your progress along the AT?
    It is what it is.

Maybe one of those fitness trackers would work? Probably a slew of them in the app store. You'd have to upload the data once in a while. Maybe just record your end point for the day to mark the progress.

Sounds like a feature which could be added to Guthook, since it knows exactly where you are on the trail at any given moment.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

GAIA GPS does that. I have it on my iPhone.

Trackleaders.com will do this for you if you have a Spot device.

It's a little more work at the front end, but I track my progress using GIS, and I love it. It is great for planning too. I have ESRI ArcMap software, which you have to pay for (you can get an at home use license for $100/12 months). Additionally, QGIS software is a free software to download; I haven't used it, but I know some people who have without issue. Once you have one of these softwares you can download the GIS layers of the trail and plot your progress to your map.
    The Appalachian Trail Conservancy has downloadable data of the trail, shelters and parking data. ESRI's ArcGIS Online also has a lot of downloadable data (streets, aerial photography, boundaries, etc.) that can be used for mapping and planning.

It would be great if there was a online utility that could map it for you. I wish I knew of one. I just use a map like this, which isn't very precise. (Blue is what I have done, yes I have skipped around a lot)

Untitled.png

A simple online utility as you describe would be great. I think it could potentially get a lot of use from thru and section hikers alike. Update which checkpoints you've hit and it plots your progress against the entire A.T. You'd then have a great visual of your progress and can even share it if you're so inclined.
    It is what it is.

Spot and InReach satellite trackers do what you are asking. As you move down the trail, they plot your progress on a map. Many hikers use these commercial trackers. Google for more information.
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

If you click on the link in my sig you can see a non map version of keeping track of progress
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

You could use Google Maps. You create a map in Google My Maps and import your points or tracks https://support.google.com/mymaps/an...DDesktop&hl=en.

Not too long ago I created a little utility that would send my gps location as a text when I first turned it on. Like a poor hiker's Spot. You could have your phone write your GPS location to a file then you would have the data you needed to put in Google Maps. I used an android app NFC tasks to get the GPS points and send them out. But as always happens, if I can imagine it then somebody else has already beat me too it so probably a few apps can do it. Depends on how you are getting your GPS points.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Ya know, it would be kinda kewl if there (here?) was a website where folk could log their progress on the trail. You could log in and see if anyone is nearby or who might be ahead or behind. Strictly optional participation. Many would prefer to be anonymous but some folk just like to socialize.
    Ummm, something using a map with locatable icons. Just a list would be confusing, "Joe Blow at Windy Knob" would have most thinking where the hell is windy knob?
    ./~Hi ho, hi ho, it's up the trail I go ./~

++ New Posts ++